HDMI suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to run a 30-35 ft hdmi cable from my receiver to my projector for my basement home theater. Any suggestions for reliable sources for a cable this length. This is 'new' construction in my basement and the hdmi cable will be in the wall and ceiling so I'd like to minimize the chance of a failure over time.

Thanks for any help ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 283
This is what I have used for years without a single failure:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025002&p_id=6059&seq=1&format=2

If you want to guarantee that this will work for the long term, run conduit.

If this is new construction... run conduit.

If you remember when HDMI didn't exist... run conduit.

Oh screw it...

RUN CONDUIT!!!!

1.25" or larger orange (or blue) conduit from Carlon is recommended. It is flexible and provides a pathway to add more cables later, quite easily, behind drywall. Do not run the HDMI in the conduit at this time.

If you have easy retro access, forget what I said, you don't need to run conduit since you can add/remove cables later easily. biggrin.gif

It is strongly (!!!) recommended that you run several pieces of cat6 cable to the projector location as well. This will give you future video, Ethernet, and/or control capabilities as necessary.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10232&cs_id=1023212&p_id=5017&seq=1&format=2

If you haven't discussed it yet, in-ceiling speakers are a bad idea, and a long discussion of the theater space itself is worth having unless this is the tenth home theater you've put together. Builders tend to be clueless about all of this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your suggestion on the hdmi cable. Yes I will run conduit. smile.gif It is the only way to have peace of mind.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page