Help connecting HTPC to TV across the room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I moved to a new place which is already wired for component video. Unfortunately my HTPC only has, HDMI, DVI-D, and D-SUB.

My TV has PC input, hdmi & component, so I am trying to figure out a way to connect HTPC (in a closet 35ft away) to my TV. Any suggestions? I tried wireless HDMI, but quality is distorted.

Suggestions are welcomed!

-Boris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The total wiring between the equipment location and your TV is the red/green/blue wires of component video? Or are there ANY other wires there at all? Cat-5e? Additional wires for something else? A second set of component video wires?

I'm at a loss if that is the only wires which exist between the two points.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well there are DVI to Component adapters in a wide range of prices. I have no idea how well they work but certainly worth a try. Component inputs are every bit as good as HDMI so no loss of quality on that end.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Well there are DVI to Component adapters in a wide range of prices. I have no idea how well they work but certainly worth a try. Component inputs are every bit as good as HDMI so no loss of quality on that end.
There aren't that many DVI to component video adapters out there. There are converter CABLES, but those aren't active. It assumes that the source is component video, which the PC may not be able to deliver.
So, if you are thinking something like this will work: http://www.amazon.com/PTC-DVI-Component-HDTV-Adapter/dp/B00068NSZA - You need to understand that this is not a converter, just an adapter cable. Analog output from a DVI connection will typically be RGBHV, not YCbCr (component), and those little cables/adapters won't do what is necessary.

Worth saying: The OP should check the capabilities of the video card in the HTPC as some video cards can output component video at 720p, or potential 1080i or 1080p and it may do so over the DVI output or it may do it over another connection on the card. I believe my video card on my PC offers this capability, but you should check.

Do you need audio out as well, or just HD video?

Something like this is an active HDMI to component video converter and it MAY work. Read the reviews, it is far from perfect....
http://www.amazon.com/HDfuryproTwo-Component-Converter-Support-Surround/dp/B009YP7Y56/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1382329423&sr=1-3&keywords=rgb+to+component+converter

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to answer all of your questions and comments in this post...

AV_Integrated: I only have three coax wires going from media closet to TV. The coax is terminated with BNC RCA cables. Hence, they were used for component connection. Sound is separate, so I don't really care about that.

I am using a Mini-ITX Zotac ionitx-a-u motherboard. DVI is digital only so I can't use dvi-component cable on it.

This is driving me crazy. I tried a HDMI to Component converter, but doesn't work perfectly. There is a converter for HDMI over COAX, but it's like $300. Don't want to spend that much money it.

I guess I will just move the HTPC next to my TV. Kind of sux, but I can't think of any other affordable options.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
There are HDMI-over-coax solutions that you could use, IIRC there's one for ~$300 these days...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

$300!!! What's the resale value on these things? If I buy it now, and sell it a year from now?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-27-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkholy View Post

$300!!! What's the resale value on these things? If I buy it now, and sell it a year from now?

As with most of this type of gear, market is small - you'd be lucky to get half back in resale. But why would you sell it if it works? But yes, if you can just move the HTPC and that's an acceptable solution, you can't beat free...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #9 of 9 Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am living in the rental for a year. Hopefully won't need after that.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page