Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi:

We live in a 2 story home with finished basement. We have 2 kids aged 2 and 4. Now they are at an age where they can play together most of the time. There are times I am traveling so being able to see the kids play in the basement will be very helpful.
When I am traveling wife is too paranoid to even open the door when the door bell rings.

Looking for a simple solution that is wife friendly and can display one or more IP cameras on TV screen.
We have Pioneer Kuro 50 inch TV in the living room. We also have latest gen apple TV and wired 1 GB ethernet at this location.
We also own IPAD current gen but no other iOS devices.
We have a Mac Mini running 24/7 as the ITunes server. Plan to purchase Synology NAS in near future.
Our remote is Roomie
I am about to start adding Lighting control with Insteon ISY994 and plan to control with Roomie Remote.

I want to purchase 2-4 IP cameras that support Wi Fi. I began looking for options and found that there were too many of them.

Option 0:
Perhaps I can move the Mac Mini from my office to my family room. right now Mac Mini is running headless.
I can buy a wifi keyboard mouse and connect HDMI to my TV. I can run the safari browser that connects to the IP Camera.
This is my cheapest option. Roomie remote can just turn on TV and switch HDMI input to the port where Mac Mini is connected.

Option 1:
Mini TV box. I had not even heard of these.
Wifi Only Model
http://www.amazon.com/Ug802-Android-1-2ghz-Cortex-a9-Rockchip/dp/B009A6P2VC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productDetails
http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Core-Smart-Mini-Box/dp/B00CQ9Y9DM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Wired
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-Computer-Dual-core-Android-RK3066/dp/B009PJ3AZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

apps like these run on Android
http://hit-mob.com/ip-cam-viewer-android/

Option 2:
Rasberry Pi with IP Cam viewer installed

In these forums I read good things about software like Blue Iris but it runs on a PC. I am already running a Mac Mini that was purchased to serve ITunes so I am a bit hesitant to keep another PC running all the time.

Option 3:
Perhaps I can just get an IPAD application to view IP Camera and not bother with viewing the video on TV. This is my least preferred option.

Option 4:
purchase a roku device as it seems to have a channel for IP Cameras.

Being able to record based on motion is another desirable feature.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 12
OP-

I have been in the same situation as yourself ever since converting over from analog to digital security cameras. In the analog days, it was convenient to simply run a coax line into the back of your desired tv and go with it or modulate into the cable system. With IP cams it is a little difficult to say the least to display the images on a single / multiple tv's.

I have a separate pc set up that acts as a file server and security cam server but have yet to get around to installing a software program like Blue Iris. So in the meantime, I use an old android device with HDMI out and run to my main LR display to keep an eye on all my cams (IP Cam Viewer App by Hit Mob).

I have looked into the android on a stick options but see the often get "mixed" reviews so have not went that route. I was also interest when Google came out with Chromecast but it does not support a lot (if any) apps at this point.

Eventually my setup will be to take the HDMI out from the back of this security cam pc to a HDMI splitter and go to various displays around the house. But with a new baby, projects have taken a backseat for awhile:)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

OP-

I have been in the same situation as yourself ever since converting over from analog to digital security cameras. In the analog days, it was convenient to simply run a coax line into the back of your desired tv and go with it or modulate into the cable system. With IP cams it is a little difficult to say the least to display the images on a single / multiple tv's.

I have a separate pc set up that acts as a file server and security cam server but have yet to get around to installing a software program like Blue Iris. So in the meantime, I use an old android device with HDMI out and run to my main LR display to keep an eye on all my cams (IP Cam Viewer App by Hit Mob).

I have looked into the android on a stick options but see the often get "mixed" reviews so have not went that route. I was also interest when Google came out with Chromecast but it does not support a lot (if any) apps at this point.

Eventually my setup will be to take the HDMI out from the back of this security cam pc to a HDMI splitter and go to various displays around the house. But with a new baby, projects have taken a backseat for awhilesmile.gif
That sounds like a bit of overkill for what amounts to an SD signal...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #4 of 6 Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

That sounds like a bit of overkill for what amounts to an SD signal...

SD...I assume you mean standard def signal..?

If so, my ip cams are all HD.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I already owned two IP cameras Sharx Securities and a Mac mini.
I moved Mac Mini to my family room and connected it to the TV via HDMI
I downloaded IP Camera Viewer 2 which was free and allows you to view multiple cameras at once.
I programmed roomie remote to switch the HDMI input to view the output from Mac Mini.
This seems to work. I am looking into easier ways to control the Mac Mini. One option I will try soon is to use Apple Remote and Remote Buddy application.
It still feels a bit clunky but having mac mini connected to TV will also allow me to use Skype with my TV.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM

I used this solution. My wife actually now says why aren't the cameras up so it provided a wife friendly solution for very little $ depending the equipment you have.

http://www.shackboss.com/shackboss/big-screen-tvs/

Hope it helps.

Mark

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page