House is wired, need hardware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently built my home and had it wired for cat5e and 5 or 6 music zones, as well as coax cable for 8 security cams. I'm thinking about the following:

Synology DS713+ NAS for a media server/surveillance dvr

HTD Lync6 or Nuvo P3100

Rack?

I know this isn't the forum to talk about surveillance cameras, but I'm open to suggestions there. I think the coax cable is incompatible with Synology, but that's a different discussion. If I went with a Costco special Lorex $500 system I'd ditch the NAS and I'm open to that as well if you have some expertise in that area.

My living room is wired for surround, but it's all in the ceiling. I have a pair of Polk M20s in there and I'm thinking about just keeping those, adding a center and sub, and using 2 ceiling speakers for surround. The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1020.

What I'm trying to accomplish at a minimum is having everything accessible and controllable with apps, quality sound and reasonable cost.

I'm not super technical, but I can figure things out when I put my mind to it, so don't hold back. I know how to google.

Thanks for reading.

Kelly 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ask about coax camera options at the Synology forum.

You can convert analog to digital with a dongle.
markelbat likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh, so that's what a dongle is for! Thanks.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The term 'dongle' is used like 'widget', where the device is connected with a cable, and performs magic. For example a USB to RS232 converter might be called a dongle, too.

More specifically the analog to digital 'dongle' used for cameras would be called a video encoder.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/video_server/index.htm

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

A search of the Synology forum shows that Synology offers a list of compatible video encoders.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=69380&p=264455&hilit=+video+encoder+#p264455

Edit - Synology uses the term 'video server'.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

The term 'dongle' is used like 'widget', where the device is connected with a cable, and performs magic. For example a USB to RS232 converter might be called a dongle, too.

More specifically the analog to digital 'dongle' used for cameras would be called a video encoder.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/video_server/index.htm

Wow! I just learned something and then unlearned it in about 5 minutes. Thanks Neurorad! I've done a little reading on the Synology forum and I think right now I need to focus on choosing a WHA distribution system and go from there.

Any thoughts about a wired system that works well with iPhones and OS X?

post #7 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

For WHA, consider Russound C-Series and Sonos, if DIY.

I don't know if a HTD system would fit your needs.
markelbat likes this.

post #8 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes, it doesn't look like HTD has an app for that.

Does anyone want to comment on the plan to use ceiling speakers for rear surround?

post #9 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by markelbat View Post

Does anyone want to comment on the plan to use ceiling speakers for rear surround?

If they're placed well for surround, by all means, use them for both. Just learned that SpeakerCraft has a nice automatic speaker switch for selecting between an AVR and the WHA system... I have a similar setup in my master bedroom, using the NuVo Local Source Interrupt switch. The only thing you need besides the switch is the wiring in the right place(s) to make the connections.

Jeff
markelbat likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #10 of 13 Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Neurorad and Jeff. I ended up ordering the HTD MC-66 with the DMA 1275 amp. The HTDNET-MC makes the system controllable with an app. I guess it's a new system, so hopefully most of the kinks are worked out, but we'll see. I'll use the money I saved to buy a nice subwoofer!

post #11 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the Peerless rack:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752920-REG/AUDIO_VIDEO_RACK_LARGE_BLACK_

I've never used anything like this before, so I hope it's very functional for what I'm trying to do. I think I learned about it from Jeff mentioning it on another thread, so thanks for that. I have the amp and controller, but it might be a couple of weeks before I start hooking things up since I'm waiting for adult supervision in the form of a friend who knows a lot more about this stuff than I.

I might just bite the bullet and order front speakers and subs while I have a head of steam. I'm leaning toward HTD Level 3 towers and center along with dual drive VTF-3 Mk4s. 

I'm wondering about placement of the AVR. If I rack it with the WHA stuff I understand there's an adapter that uses the cat5 for hdmi connection, is that correct? Aesthetically, that's what I'd prefer to do. If my kids and grandkids what to play xbox I'll have to have a shelf for that, so would it make more sense to leave the AVR and perhaps a blue ray player located with the screen?

post #12 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by markelbat View Post

I ordered the Peerless rack:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752920-REG/AUDIO_VIDEO_RACK_LARGE_BLACK_

I've never used anything like this before, so I hope it's very functional for what I'm trying to do. I think I learned about it from Jeff mentioning it on another thread, so thanks for that.

Yep, that's the one I have in my wiring closet...
Quote:
I'm wondering about placement of the AVR. If I rack it with the WHA stuff I understand there's an adapter that uses the cat5 for hdmi connection, is that correct? Aesthetically, that's what I'd prefer to do. If my kids and grandkids what to play xbox I'll have to have a shelf for that, so would it make more sense to leave the AVR and perhaps a blue ray player located with the screen?

Where's this rack going relative to the speakers that AVR is driving? Same room, next to it, somewhere else completely?

HDBaseT and other solutions are available for HDMI-over-cat5e, but that's not the only thing you need to figure out if the AVR will be "remote". Game consoles have to be in range, and have connections necessary for their sensor bars, for example. General remote control is the other thing to consider...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #13 of 13 Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's about 40' from the screen to the jbox. There's already a cat5e run.

I bought the HTDNET-MC system with the HTD amp and controller so I'll be learning about that over the next few weeks. Hopefully the system capabilities will match my wishes, but I'm a realist.

Gaming is not important to me, but I may be pressured in to including it in the overall plan by others. I guess that's the next big question to resolve. I'll probably have a horizontal center speaker so I'll need a shelf there anyway, so for now I might as well leave the xbox and AVR with the screen.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page