Keystone speaker post for use with spades - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am putting in a pair of boxes on opposite sides of my home theater/media room to run several cables including the rear and side speakers of my 7.2 setup. Connections will include speaker posts, RCAs, cat6, F connector, etc. I plan to assemble custom plates using some type of keystone system. My current speaker cables are terminated in spade connectors. I was speaking with someone at Leviton about my plans and he indicated that their speaker binding posts in their QuickPort system were not compatible with spade connectors. I feel I am about show my ignorance here, but I thought spades could be used with all binding posts. After closely reading the specs on some of the various keystone type speaker binding posts I see that they don't specifically mention spade connectors.

Does anyone know of any keystone type binding posts that can be used with spades?

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
The keystone versions I've seen aren't "5-way binding posts", which is what you'd need for spade lugs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_post

The keystones accept either bare wire or a banana plug (individual).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The keystone versions I've seen aren't "5-way binding posts", which is what you'd need for spade lugs

Thanks for the terminology. A quick cross reference of keystone and 5 way binding posts narrowed my search down. Found some from Wired Home. They appear to be 5 way on both sides which will make installation a breeze. BUT, wow is the price up there, 4 to 5 bucks each.

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHeel View Post

BUT, wow is the price up there, 4 to 5 bucks each.

Yep... Re-terminating or swapping speaker cables for banana-plug'ed ends might be a better choice. And if those are "expensive" speaker cables, sell them and finance a nice set of Monoprice wires and pocket the difference. biggrin.gif

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep... Re-terminating or swapping speaker cables for banana-plug'ed ends might be a better choice. And if those are "expensive" speaker cables, sell them and finance a nice set of Monoprice wires and pocket the difference. biggrin.gif

Nope they are home built. I just always felt like spades were more secure than bananas.

Getting back to the original question. I am starting to think the guy at Leviton, (and the guy at Monoprice for that matter), doesn't know what he's talking about. I did some more research, and I can't figure out how a binding post won't work with a spade. Leviton makes a female banana plug keystone. And that is all it does. It doesn't have a threaded ring that tightens down. They also have a binding post keystone. They don't claim that it is five way. But how can that not work with a spade? I can see if the post wasn't side drilled then you could not use pins or attach a bare wire through that hole. But that would still leave you with a 3 way, Banana, wire wrapped around the post, and spade.

Any thoughts/comments on this?

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You're exactly right--Leviton makes an insert specifically for banana plugs, and another insert with a binding post. I would agree with you in that I can't see how a spade wouldn't fit in these binding posts. I might be concerned if you were using a 6-port decora insert for your keystones, as this would put your binding posts very close together. I wouldn't be so concerned with a 4-port decora insert or a 6-port standard single-gang plate.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
You just need any generic 5-way binding post.

Monoprice has ones which are in decora shells already:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3326&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

...along with ones which are in keystone connectors:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=104&cp_id=10426

The description clearly states that it is compatible with spades...

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10426&cs_id=1042603&p_id=8436&seq=1&format=2

Under $1.50 for the ones from Monoprice.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page