Need Advice on Pioneer VSX1023 and audio setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys. I need some help with my home audio system. I am building a house and I already have a Pioneer VSX1023 and am going to run 5.1 surround sound in the living room. I would also like to run a set of speakers on my front porch as well as a set on my back porch for multi zone audio.

With this particular receiver, if I am using 5.1 setup in the living room, I will have two speaker outputs left over. Will I be able to power these extra two sets through these? I was planning on running the front porch setup of two speakers to a niles volume control, and the same setup for the back patio. How would I wire these?

Any suggestions or techniques for this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanD2007 View Post

Hey guys. I need some help with my home audio system. I am building a house and I already have a Pioneer VSX1023 and am going to run 5.1 surround sound in the living room. I would also like to run a set of speakers on my front porch as well as a set on my back porch for multi zone audio.

With this particular receiver, if I am using 5.1 setup in the living room, I will have two speaker outputs left over. Will I be able to power these extra two sets through these?

From the product description:
Quote:
The VSX-1023 can be setup to use two of its seven amplifiers to power a set of speakers in a second room such as a bedroom or patio. This "second zone" can enjoy content that is different than what is be listened to in the main room.

So, yes.
Quote:
I was planning on running the front porch setup of two speakers to a niles volume control, and the same setup for the back patio. How would I wire these?
Any suggestions or techniques for this would be appreciated.

Run both pairs through their respective volume control locations (probably inside - or make sure they're not exposed to the elements and/or use the Niles outdoor versions), then back to your AVR's location. I would also highly recommend you run a cat5e wire along with that run, so that you could place a keypad in those locations some time in the future.

Since the Niles volume controls are impedance-matching, you can safely connect both pairs to the AVR at the same time, and change their volume (down to "off") independently. Or, since they're outside, you might choose to place a speaker selector at the AVR, so you can turn them on/off "for sure" - but that will make it harder to use, since otherwise you can control overall volume and source selection from any mobile device with the Pioneer app...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff, thank you so much. That helps a lot. I am still not sure how to hook the volume controls to the receiver. I have two speaker connections to be used for multi zone, so how do I run wire from the receiver to volume controls, and then to speakers? I assume since I have two speakers on each volume control, I am basically powering two speakers from one speaker output on the receiver. Since the volume control handles impedance, two 8 ohm speakers will work fine. What kind of wire should I use to go from the receiver to the volume control?
post #4 of 4 Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanD2007 View Post

I am still not sure how to hook the volume controls to the receiver. I have two speaker connections to be used for multi zone, so how do I run wire from the receiver to volume controls, and then to speakers?

You run wire from the receiver to volume controls, and then to speakers... smile.gif

The volume controls are actually two controls (left and right channel). You run a total of four conductors (either a 4-conductor or two, 2-conductor speaker wires) from the receiver to each volume control. Then a 2-conductor wire from there to each speaker.
Quote:
I assume since I have two speakers on each volume control, I am basically powering two speakers from one speaker output on the receiver. Since the volume control handles impedance, two 8 ohm speakers will work fine. What kind of wire should I use to go from the receiver to the volume control?

In-wall rated (CL2 / CL3) speaker wire, at least 16AWG (or larger, meaning 14 or 12, but that will be overkill). Monoprice has excellent pricing on this stuff.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page