Used to be in the industry, out of touch with the current tech, Advice for new construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wiring my brother-in-law's new home for distributed audio and video. I used to work in the industry (8 years ago) and am out of touch with the current offerings. Here's a brief run down of the configuration:

12 rooms with home-runs for a pair of in-walls or in-ceilings
Four rooms with dual CAT6, RG6QS home-run drops for HDTV
One "theater" space with home-runs for two on-wall HDTV locations, in-wall/in-ceiling surround, dual subs.

My sister-in-law uses iTunes and Satellite radio for audio. She already uses a few Airplay speakers. So, it would make the most sense to go iPad/iPod touch for controllers. That said, I think I should add control pad CAT6 drops to each room wired for speakers.

Who has a multi-room audio setup using Airplay? What about the theater? Just use CAT6 baluns for HDMI and control? Ask away.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Lots of threads here you can read for a lot of the basics for whole house audio (WHA) systems...

Any room with WHA speakers should have a cat5e / cat6 run to a potential keypad location in that room.

If anything, run one more cat6 to each potential display location (total of 3) for the most flexibility. The inexpensive HDMI distribution systems use dual-cat5 runs.

Airplay can be incorporated into any WHA system using an Apple Airport Express, although the streaming audio support on systems from the big players (NuVo, Russound, Sonos) and others are generally a better solution that tying up the iDevice as the streaming source.

Theater space deserves a bunch of wire to a bunch of locations, can't tell more without a diagram or a better description of the goal of that space. In general, avoid HDMI runs in-wall between rooms, but one between an AV rack and the projector / TV location within a room is good. But those should always be accompanied by a flex conduit for futureproofing.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good response. Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My personal opinion is I don't like RG-6 Quad. Belden (7915A) makes a 3 gig. cable with very good shielding and you don't need special RG-6 F connectors.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page