Easiest way to share Directv Box from living room to garage studio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I need to share my directv box's signal (hdmi) with my detached garage studio I just finished. Running a new line for another directv box would be prohibitive. Im in a 3 bedroom rancher and the signal would need to travel say 70ish feet through one interior wall, an exterior wall of the house and then through the garage wall. I have a mac pro and a 42 inch tv in the garage and the whole house is on a wireless N network. Ive considered:

Slingbox - but seems like it'd be expensive and quite a big round trip around the interweb tubes to really just travel 70ish feet that I need.

Wireless HDMI transmitters off Amazon - those reviews make it sound like you need line of site in most cases and it doesnt seem like a consistent or reliable solution.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 356
In a separate building the easiest route would be another dish and receiver. Receiver would be on the same account, so just the normal box fees.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
jautor's right, but perhaps you would rethink running another cable considering the cost of a new dish and lnb on amazon will be at least $75 and you'd have to either install it yourself or pay someone to. You'd also need another receiver so that's $6/mo. Unless there's a driveway separating them, trenching cable is not hard to do. You would need component over cat5 baluns and direct burial cat5 connecting the 2 locations. It could be a slightly higher upfront cost without the additional receiver fee.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesat View Post

You'd also need another receiver so that's $6/mo. Unless there's a driveway separating them, trenching cable is not hard to do. You would need component over cat5 baluns and direct burial cat5 connecting the 2 locations. It could be a slightly higher upfront cost without the additional receiver fee.

Yep, although if he's going to trench for a direct burial cat5e I'd probably plan on an HDBaseT solution, which would get wired Ethernet in the building as well with a single cable. But a component balun will be the least expensive solution. Just have to pick one with the correct audio capabilities (analog or digital - won't get both).

The monthly receiver fee may be balanced by the additional functionality another receiver provides - it would have independent viewing from the house. If there's anyone else around, that would avoid remote fighting and/or trips to the house to "resolve" the issue. biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Trench is out - the construction is complete, yard has been fixed and existing power line was in an existing pvc line that unfortunately has no more room for additional cables. So am I left with another dish and receiver as my best option? It seems like a slingbox would be a better option than cost of another dish and monthly additional receiver cost... perhaps?
post #6 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

"Trench" for a single direct-burial cable involves a spade, not a trenching machine. Can be done with very little damage to the yard...

post #7 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Its more of a wifey disapproval thing - she's finished with any yard digging :/ and construction has us both wary since it of course took a week+ longer than expected to finish.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Do your research on Slingbox to make sure that the drop in quality from the reencode of the unit is acceptable before you go down that road.

Wireless is spotty, and may not work at all, but may work just fine.

Really, a HDMI splitter should work, but isn't guaranteed either from many companies. It also will be a bit pricey no matter what to get a line out there if you didn't wire for it already.

What DID you wire for in the studio? Seems like this is the wrong time to be figuring out your wiring.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 PM

you keep saying "digging" is out of the question, but I'm not sure we're on the same page.

there is no digging involved. you don't actually turn any dirt. You stick the shovel in the ground about 4-6 inches, wiggle it to make a crevice, push the cable down gently with a wrench, then push the crevice closed with your body weight. I've never timed myself but I think 1 person could do 75-100 feet in an hour. When I do it this way I have to show my customers where I buried cable in case they dig in the future because it's nearly impossible to see. unless your plan is to make your wife do it, why should she care if the end result looks the same as before. where there's a will there's a way.

I don't want to talk you out the 2nd dish and receiver, just saying it's possible to do what you originally asked about. Personally I don't like to mirror signals unless you know exactly what you're getting. If you were to ask me in person I would say get another receiver and run coax instead of cat5. You'd still have to bury cable but wouldn't need a 2nd dish. Then I'd offer to bury it for you, for a small fee of course.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesat View Post

If you were to ask me in person I would say get another receiver and run coax instead of cat5. You'd still have to bury cable but wouldn't need a 2nd dish. Then I'd offer to bury it for you, for a small fee of course.

Pushing a coax and a cat5 into that slit would be my slight modification to that answer... Then he'd have the choices and flexibility. Given that, I'd go with the receiver (no 2nd dish) and have wired Ethernet in the studio as well.

And you can come over next time I need to run a direct burial wire. We'll have a race to see who can do it faster. You can go first. biggrin.gif

post #11 of 13 Old 10-27-2013, 11:07 PM

Right on, first one done gets paid though cool.gif
post #12 of 13 Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm... you guys got me thinking.

Yes, the studio was ripped down to the studs, new drywall, insulation, vaulted ceilings etc. ... I had been so concerned with the looks inside and out, furniture and heating cooling with a mini split that I just figured Id stay on wireless N for
Internet and wouldn't be watching much real tv out there - also could play any movies off my beloved boxee box. Well the studio is looking more like a great respite for the wife and I who have a child in the house so was just now thinking about how I could get access to our dvr out there :/

You aren't by chance in Socal for some diggin help are you? smile.gif

EDIT: ah crap. Now I remember why its a pain - I have a concrete walkway right off the back of the house before the grass starts - going under that is going to require a bit more than a 4-6 inch shovel push.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM

That's a little trickier but still possible. You'll have to break ground for that and my way involves a 72 inch flex bit for wall fishing. Still where there's a will there's a way. Try to remove a hole of dirt that you can put back without thrashing up the grass. Do this on both sides, drill a hole through the dirt underneath the sidewalk, tape the cables right to the bit and pull. Finish burying the cable and replace the chunks of dirt.

I've heard of other ways using a hose to blast a hole or using a rod and a hammer in thesame fashion. It could be tough if the walkway is touching the house, easier if it's separate.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page