Help with distributing audio to multiple zones in new home construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I'm about to begin a new home construction and would like to figure out the best way to distribute audio from our main living room to multiple zones throughout the house. I'm looking for a very basic setup, without too much expense. My main audio source will be in the living room & my intent is to be able to distribute audio (either music or sound from a football game) to (1) office, (2) kitchen/dining area, (3) outdoor deck, and (4) basement.

Can I do this using the "ZONE" function on an A/V receiver? I'm not entirely sure how that feature works, but can I simultaneously have surround sound in the living room and 2-channel stereo in the other rooms? Or, with the A/V receiver, can I not have surround sound and zone audio at the same time? I've been looking at this receiver (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077V88W2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2RJFHY4J8L46F&coliid=I9WGHL9ZOAB7C) but I'm not particularly set on it so I'm open to other suggestions in that sub-$500 price range.

Through searching other posts, I saw mention of the basic system from HTD (http://www.htd.com/Products/basic) which seems like it'll do exactly what I want, but I want to know if an A/V receiver can do the same thing or if I'll need this type of system in addition to my A/V receiver. This may affect what I can spend on a receiver.

Also, in regards to wiring, will I just need speaker wire or what else will be required?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
At four rooms you're at the crossover to a whole house audio (WHA) system. Suggest you pre-wire as many rooms as possible that COULD use such a setup in the future (master bedroom, master bath, kitchen, study, garage, patio, etc.). Make sure wherever you bring all that wire to has enough space for a few components to live for this system.

Pre-wiring should be done to the CEA wiring guidelines, which means speaker wire looped through a keypad / volume control location in the room, with a cat5e wire in parallel for keypad control.

A 2 or 3-zone AVR can handle that many rooms, but once you start combining separate rooms together, the usability decreases and the hassle factor rises. But nothing wrong with starting with that as you can always grow into a WHA system later.

But it's most important to get the pre-wiring done and in place - you're much less likely to do any of that later. Swapping equipment is a simple check to write - cutting holes to fish wire later becomes a much bigger "discussion" beyond the check... biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM

That receiver will work with multi zoning (zone 2) both speaker wire and RCA for zone amp and zone 3) for zone amp you can also assign the zone in the receiver.

However do not run multi Rooms on the zone two out. Receiver speaker out put for zone2 is only for one room. It will break the zone amp in the receiver. If you want buy a multi zone and and bridge all the zone to one zone and connect the RCA from zone 2 out to main in on the multi zone amp. The is the easy way and cheapest. Make sure all the room have volume controls because you want to independently control the audio in each room.

Check out the russound zone amps .They come in 8channel ( 4zones) and 16 channel ( 8 zones) they sill need a source witch will be your receiver

Hope this helps
post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent941 View Post

However do not run multi Rooms on the zone two out. Receiver speaker out put for zone2 is only for one room. It will break the zone amp in the receiver.

The OP could run all rooms / zones off of the zone two out on the receiver if he attaches an impedance matching speaker selector.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Yes that will work or you can get a zone amp and run a RCA from zone 2 out on the receiver to the bridge input on the amp.

Russound makes a great 4 and 8 zone amp

Just with a speaker selector you putting the 110 watts to all rooms so the audio will be lower if all rooms are playing

With a zone amp it puts the 110 to each room because each zone has it's own amp
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page