New Home Construction - LV wiring... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi All,

I'm new to AVS, but I've used these forums many times in the past to answer general questions I was having.  I'm building a 2 story house with a full basement which is where the rack will be located and this will be the central point for all Ethernet and Coax runs as well as any servers I may have.  All bedrooms are on the 2nd floor and the living room and office are on the 1st floor. 

I work in IT so I'm very familiar with Ethernet standards and I already have the tools for that.  I'm getting ready to purchase some bulk RG-6 (I'm assuming to get quad shield?), compression crimping tool, and connectors. 

I will have DTV with a dvr in the living room which is also where the surround sound will be until I finish the basement later on and regular receivers in 3 or 4 more rooms (mainly bedrooms).  My plan is to mount the tv's on the wall in the bedrooms, but then I don't know where to put the receivers.  Any suggestions on a neat way of handling this? 

How many coax runs do I need to run to each location?  I'm assuming I need at least 2 for the dvr in the LR, but what about the bedroom tv's?  Should I go ahead and run 2 to each location for future possibilities?  I will be running conduit from the basement to the attic for future use as well.

As far as wall plates and keystone jacks, which manufacturer should I go with/avoid?  

Any other gotchas or things I should watch out for or things I should consider on adding now?  I know once the drywall goes up, it becomes more of a pain later on.  That's another reason I'll have plenty of empty conduit from the basement to the attic.  They just now poured the basement walls so I should still have a month or two before I start wiring.  Any help or suggestions from those of you have already been down this road is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If you are planning on directv one cable run is all you will need, not sure what you mean by "DTV". If you are going with Direct, depending on your setup you may have one DVR that has 5 tuners, and a number of small satellite units at each TV. Direct is moving to a wireless connection soon, so wires may not even be needed. That said I'd opt for a run of CAT5/6 and a Coax to each location. Quad shield is overkill.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 AM

Liked: 12
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everything that Matt L. said but I would run 3-5 cat cables with the coax to each location. Seems as though you can do anything with category cable these days (emitters, hdmi extenders, HDBaseT, ethernet for the display, etc, etc, etc).
post #4 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

I had planned on running 6 to 8 Cat 5e runs to the LR for all of the devices (tv, consoles, receivers) and 2 or 3 along each wall in the office.  I guess I'll go ahead and run at least 3 runs to each location in the bedrooms while I'm at it now.  The house's dimensions are 50'x39'.  I bought 1,000 ft of Cat 5e and now I think that might not be enough.

Thanks for the advice.

post #5 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Why run that many Cat5 cables to the LR? One is all you need. Simply add a switch and feed whatever. At this point I have about 25 things connected to my network, I ran 1 CAT5 drop to each room and then added the appropriate sized switch. My main media area has an 8 port, my bedroom has a 4, my library has a 4 and so on.

Not knowing how your home will be set up, I would suggest that you mount your router somewhere central to the home for best wireless connectivity. I had my router in the basement for years but had poor coverage on my patio and yard. Moved it up to a closet on the main floor and reception greatly increased. The same thing could be accomplished with a wireless access point, but for me it just involved running 30' of CAT 5 plus it made adding another switch easier.

When wiring a house I look at possible furniture arrangements and doorways. Most rooms can be done with 2 drops. Just make sure you clearly label each feed....
post #6 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
For Ethernet, you need only 1 category cable, to each TV location/LAN drop/AP.

But, category cables are also used for HDMI extenders, HDBaseT extenders, IR, and serial control (as well as many other uses). It never hurts to have an extra, as well.

I would agree, 3-5 category cables to each potential video location is ideal. I would also run 1-2 coax, and empty 1.5" conduit if using HDMI (for the possible replacement cable, in 5-10 years).

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Why run that many Cat5 cables to the LR? One is all you need. Simply add a switch and feed whatever. At this point I have about 25 things connected to my network, I ran 1 CAT5 drop to each room and then added the appropriate sized switch. My main media area has an 8 port, my bedroom has a 4, my library has a 4 and so on.

Matt L, I'd have to disagree with you on this....adding another switch is yet another device to manage/troubleshoot/provide power for/to.....especially when CAT cabling is so flexible in terms of it's use; just my opinion, but having a bunch of switches all over the house is messy, plus if you only have one CAT cable to a location and somehow it get's nicked that switch won't help and you're running back and forth between those location trying to figure out why you don't have connectivity.

ohiofox, if you're able to run multiple CAT cables to your locations do so, then centralize all your networking components (modem, router, switch, etc). You may not have a need for the 6-8 CAT runs at this time (and 8 is a little excessive, maybe no more than 5, but that depends on your use case), but this provides flexibility for future expandability. You'll always want to run RG6/Coax to all rooms that have a potential to have a Television, whether you deem it so or not (resale). Depending on the size of your home you may want to run a CAT cable (or two) to ceiling locations for possible Wifi Access Points.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

BlacMagik I guess we will have to disagree. Personally I think running 4, 5, 6 or more wires to a wallplate is much messier than tucking a switch behind the equipment and running short patch cables. What do you do when you add one more net enabled device to the 6 you wired for? In my media area I need 7 feeds, that would be one big gob of wire running to the wall no matter how I did it- plus add in the SAT/Antenna cable, audio out cables, speaker wiring and others it becomes a wiring jungle. Anything I do to reduce that mess is welcome.

While the bulk of my experience is running CAT 5 in older homes, running one line can be a challenge, in new construction it is easier. Redundancy can be helpful in some situations, but I would use the extra runs for potential future use to other areas of the rooms, such as audio control and any number of other things.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Well, there's good reasons to run multiple category cables to each location, with "lots" to display / AV locations. That wire is used for many non-Ethernet purposes, so having multiple allows lots of stuff to reside there... My rule of thumb for consuming category cables for Ethernet at one location is 2.5. If you've got more than 2-3 Ethernet devices at a single location, time for a small switch.

But I'd always recommend at least two category cables to any location (not counting WHA keypads). The only place I ran more than 4 was to my theater (total of 6), but only one of those is used for Ethernet. And luckily three of them are still "for future use".

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Matt L, I can definitely understand the use of a switch at locations that may need it, say a home office, I still advocate no less than 2 ethernet drops at a location if you're going to do ethernet, more if you have future plans...8 drops can get quite messy behind and AV rack/console (cable management) even if using a wall plate. I didn't want you to think I was against them, but used sparingly they're fine....broadcast storms are terrible for throughput.

ohiofox, in regards to the cable/sat receivers...I have DirecTV and for my wall mounted TVs in the bedrooms that do not have a console I've velcro'd the Genie clients to the rear of the TV; there's the occasional issue of control using the remote, but it's rare now that I've properly trained the end-users on how/where to point the remote smile.gif Oh, and I don't have any recommended vendors for wall plates/keystones.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 PM

I am in the same stage of building you are in. Our set up is similar but I will also be integrating a home automation system. I will be running 3 cat6 and 3 cat5e to each video source as well as 1 RG6. I will also be running I cat6 1 5e and a RG6 to a 3 keystone wall plate location for computer / phone. I also decided to run a cat5e to any location that at use a motion sensor / display panel / wifi access point / thermostat / etc. most of these it's can be POE ( powered over Ethernet) so that will make it so much easier to add and get going. I will also be running speaker wire as well but again it sounds like our systems requiems do vary a bit. My personal experience with switches has not been stellar. I run a synology NAS drive and bypassed the switch and went straight to the router as it seemed to just confuse the thing. I will be using I large POE switch in my central location, fingers crossed that my synology play nice with it when I get it.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

ohiofox, in regards to the cable/sat receivers...I have DirecTV and for my wall mounted TVs in the bedrooms that do not have a console I've velcro'd the Genie clients to the rear of the TV; there's the occasional issue of control using the remote, but it's rare now that I've properly trained the end-users on how/where to point the remote smile.gif Oh, and I don't have any recommended vendors for wall plates/keystones.

That's what I was looking for.  I don't currently have DirecTV at my current location and I was hoping the non dvr boxes would be small enough to do something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalking View Post

I am in the same stage of building you are in. Our set up is similar but I will also be integrating a home automation system. I will be running 3 cat6 and 3 cat5e to each video source as well as 1 RG6. I will also be running I cat6 1 5e and a RG6 to a 3 keystone wall plate location for computer / phone. I also decided to run a cat5e to any location that at use a motion sensor / display panel / wifi access point / thermostat / etc. most of these it's can be POE ( powered over Ethernet) so that will make it so much easier to add and get going. I will also be running speaker wire as well but again it sounds like our systems requiems do vary a bit. My personal experience with switches has not been stellar. I run a synology NAS drive and bypassed the switch and went straight to the router as it seemed to just confuse the thing. I will be using I large POE switch in my central location, fingers crossed that my synology play nice with it when I get it.

I was also thinking about adding runs to where the thermostat would be, runs for a security system panel, etc...  I've also been considering some in ceiling speakers throughout the common areas, but I'm not sure if I'll do that or not (time/money).

Being in IT, I was able to get a hold of a business class Cisco switch with PoE that had been replaced by a higher end switch.  I'm going to agree with BlackMajik on not running smaller switches/hubs/routers whenever possible.  I'm pretty particular about my cable management and the fact that it will be behind my entertainment center I'm not too concerned with running 4-8 Ethernet cables.  There will be 2 wall plates behind the entertainment center.  One double gang for coax and Ethernet and one for my surround sound.

Anyone have suggestions on wall plates/keystones?  I've just been checking Monoprice and Amazon reviews.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-02-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofox View Post

I was also thinking about adding runs to where the thermostat would be, runs for a security system panel, etc...  I've also been considering some in ceiling speakers throughout the common areas, but I'm not sure if I'll do that or not (time/money).

Run the wires now or you'll NEVER install those systems later. (ok, you might, but the cost and hassle and mess goes way up - enough that it precludes many / most people from taking on those projects later). Wire is cheap, bury the cables wherever necessary and photograph the hell out of everything before drywall goes up. Speakers, keypad locations, etc. - especially in 1st floor or other areas that would be inaccessible after construction and/or would require cutting into drywall to fish. A $100-300 (max) in speaker and extra category wire can go a long, long way.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #14 of 14 Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Check out Parts Express for wall plates and keystones.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page