Pre-wire for theater/bar in basement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I'm going to put in a projector and screen in a multi-purpose room in the basement. I had originally planned on putting the components off in a corner of the basement, which would be about a 50' cable run from the receiver to the projector. As I read more, this may be problematic? I could possibly move the receiver and other sources closer, probably 30-35' cable run. I'll also be wiring up a 42" in the bar area and was considering using some type of matrix switch, but that TV will be closer to 75' from the components if I leave them in my original planned position. Any suggestions for what to use to make this all work well? Drywall goes up in about a week, so basically I need to get some stuff on order so that I can pre-wire over the weekend. I didn't realize there were this many problems with HDMI frown.gif

Components will probably be a Denon receiver (yet to purchase), BR/DVD, XBMC box going into a Sony 50ES or 55ES projector displaying a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
50' HDMI can definitely be problematic. But 30-35' can also be problematic. Redmere cables would be the cheapest solution that will have the best chance of working, but I wouldn't run them by themselves (also, they're directional so make sure they're installed the RIGHT WAY). They have active components (chips) that could fail, so you want a backup plan in that case. A minimum of 2-3 cat6 cables to the PJ along with the HDMI cable will give you that backup, plus support for Ethernet and other control potentials.

In addition, the best answer for future-proofing is a conduit run from your projector location to your AV stack, so that you can run whatever is needed in the future. Don't forget a power outlet at the PJ location, too!

Jef

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, ordered a couple HDMI cables to run. I've got a box of CAT6 still at home, and I've inquired at a local distributor abou the conduit as well. I'll run a couple HDMI's and a couple CAT6 and then an empty conduit for the future. That should cover me.

What size conduit do people usually run? 1 1/4"? 2"?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 380
1.25" conduit is my recommendation. 2" gets very thick in the walls and really is overkill for rack to display single run locations and produces some really sucky bends to deal with. 1.25" or 1.5" is excellent, with my preference being 1.25" for a nice balance of room and flexibility for installation.

Great that you have Cat-6 already, and 3 runs to each location is a great safeguard for the future as is the conduit. HDMI cable should be fine for almost all viewing with 35' runs. I've personally done runs at 50' and 75' without issue using Monoprice standard 22AWG cabling. It works well and is priced well, but is thick and heavy to use.

HDMI is designed around one TV in one local location. So, the longer stuff has always been a headache. HDBaseT solves all of this and works really well for pretty much everything.

You can get a two-zone HDMI receiver like those from Yamaha or Denon to handle some of your dual zone needs, but you likely will lose surround sound in one location if it is on in the other at the same time. Go figure.

Good luck with your setup, it should be awesome.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't read this, but it's good that I just got 200' of 1 1/4" conduit delivered smile.gif I'll run that empty beside the other cables for now. Thanks for the tips!

Tags
Basement Bar