Help me choose between the NuVo MPS4/MPS4E - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which would you purchase if still available.
NuVo MPS4 1 100.00%
NuVo MPS4 Elite 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both units don't come with any manufactures warranty but are both new in the original box, and purchasing through an authorized dealer is not an option.

MPS4: $1400.00
Local, 1/4 hr away through Craigslist and they also have a control pad for $175.00 new, which is a good deal in my area. I have the option to walk away should it not be as advertised.

MPS4E: $2250.

Through Ebay, and have way across the country so it would be much more difficult to return should there be an issue.

Difference between the two and my question realy is, are the $850.00 difference in price really worth it for the Elite?

Network Storage - Your music should all be in one place, and it is, with this option for expanded storage, am I to assume this means double the storage space to 640 GB?.

IP Control ]- Bring Internet Radio and networked music into your Crestron, AMX or URC system with pre-built control modules and since I don't have Crestron, is of no use. As Jauter metioned in a previous post. " the MPS4 should have the same IP control as the Elite (since it's just an API, and I have it available on the old software-only MusicPort). Perhaps they disabled it, but that would surprise me..."

Cloud Syncronization - No matter where you are, your music is there too. Your beach house, your boat and your office all sync, so your music, even your latest download, is wherever you are., again of no use to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Maybe you should take a closer look at Russound. Warranty and support are more important than you realize, IMO.
My Dream likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 11 Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Neurorad::

Are you suggesting I purchase something like the Russound DMS-3.1 and a better overall deal/system, and hook it up to the NuVo Grand Concerto which I already have?
post #4 of 11 Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post

MPS4: $1400.00
Local, 1/4 hr away through Craigslist and they also have a control pad for $175.00 new, which is a good deal in my area. I have the option to walk away should it not be as advertised.

Well, that's a good price for a "new" MPS4 - actually a good price for a used one, too. Realize that you're taking the warranty risk on yourself. I would make sure the unit is operating and connects to the GC / NuVoNet and responds to control via the keypad. Either do that there, or ask the seller to bring it over so you can test it - if it's a business, a written return policy might do, too.

If you need to test it there, take your GC, one keypad and a couple patch cables so you can test it.
Quote:
Difference between the two and my question realy is, are the $850.00 difference in price really worth it for the Elite?

Network Storage - Your music should all be in one place, and it is, with this option for expanded storage, am I to assume this means double the storage space to 640 GB?.

Well, if you need those features, it might be. For me the ability to add network storage is the big feature - yes, the internal drive is larger, too. That said, I use the streaming services through my system a lot more (like almost always) than the digital library, since my WHA system is for entertaining / background - not my "primary" listening system.

Because navigating large digital libraries is cumbersome on any of these systems, I'd recommend throwing only a subset of your whole collection (assuming it wouldn't fit on the internal 320GB drive, which is a big collection at that point!) onto the server - just the stuff you'd use for WHA purposes. In my case, I would also use a high-rate MP3 instead of lossless to squeeze in more content - since the sound quality differences are unlikely to be heard in these setups...

Jeff
My Dream likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Jautor:

I also thought it was a good price for a new NuVo Music Port. I still don't have mine totally hooked up yet so I may ask that a demonstration be done at there location. I often wondered if loading up the 320G capacity slows down the processor, then how much slower it would become if the drive was loaded to 640G. Again, that's a heck of a lot of music even if not compressed.

Since you're the only person that voted in the poll it appears the MPS4 is the winner. Although I'm still unclear what Neurorad was refering to re the Russound connected to the NuVo GC, I'll contract the Craigslist seller and see if it's still available.

Thanks again for your coments.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You had not made it clear that you owned a GC yet. As I have told you previously, Russound would be a better match for you, as a DIYer.

Do you have the MPS4/E programming software yet?
My Dream likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I often wondered if loading up the 320G capacity slows down the processor, then how much slower it would become if the drive was loaded to 640G. Again, that's a heck of a lot of music even if not compressed.

It's not about slowing down the system (which I wouldn't expect it to) - it's about navigating through very long lists in the artist/album/track/genre containers - takes a while on the keypads, but is easier on the mobile app. If you "limit" your collection to stuff that you'll actually use in WHA contexts, those lists can be more manageable...
My Dream likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #8 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

You had not made it clear that you owned a GC yet. As I have told you previously, Russound would be a better match for you, as a DIYer.

Do you have the MPS4/E programming software yet?
I apologize Neurorad, you've been very helpful in following my threads through this adventure that it was an assumption on my part. No I don't have the software as of yet.

As mentioned, the NuVo system is not installed yet but the components I have are as follows.

Grand Concerto
Learning Station
Rips Ipod Dock
16 gauge speaker wire 500'
Cat5 Wire 1000'
Klipsch celing & wall speakers 8 sets.
LV1-5 Low Voltage Brkts
LV2-10 Low Voltage Brkts

What I have yet to purchase;

Music Port
NV-P2100 amp or equivalent (2)
Control Pad (2) Speaker Selector
Tuner
Software
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It's not about slowing down the system (which I wouldn't expect it to) - it's about navigating through very long lists in the artist/album/track/genre containers - takes a while on the keypads, but is easier on the mobile app. If you "limit" your collection to stuff that you'll actually use in WHA contexts, those lists can be more manageable...
Ok, I understand now, I thought it was more like my pc whereas the more I have on my hardrive the slower my pc was .
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I have yet to purchase;

Software.

Did you not acquire the configuration software from the seller of the GC? This should be your priority - it's not "sold", it's provided to dealers. If the folks selling the MPS4 are dealers, I would have that discussion with them, too.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

I sent the seller an email every third day and never received a reply. After 5 emails I gave up and noticed that the listing was taken down as of today. I don't understand why people put items up for sale but don't respond to their own ads. If it's no longer for sale, either let buyer know, or take down the ad, I believe it’s that simple.

Thanks for replying to this thread since I now know which one to purchase next time.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-21-2013, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi,

is the programming software really necessary?
I have my GC system and MPS4 server here ready to be installed but i don't have any software

thanks
marco
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page