RG6 - How to send throughout the house? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there,

This might seem like an extremely elementary question, but i'm in the process of building a house and have wired most of the house on my own. I've got a couple of RG6 drops going to each room in the house, but there is only 1 in each box. That same box also has cat5e too. I'm unfamiliar with how to send these out of my house and to my providers. My current setup features:

22 CAT5e drops throughout the house. I've got them all coming back to a media closet, which i'm going to terminate them and connect them into a monoprice 24-port unmanaged gigabit switch. I've then got one Cat5e cable going to the side of my house, acting as the "input" for when uverse comes to hook it up. Is this correct? will this methodology work?

I've got 16 RG6 drops throughout the house. I've got them coming back to the same media closet. i have no idea how to terminate these all to one "unit" like the ethernet switch above. I've got one RG6 drop leading to the outside of the house along with that cat5e for my provider to hook up to. I'm planning on having DirecTV.

A couple of questions:

• How do I terminate all of those RG6 cables that a dropped throughout the house to one panel? Do they have a 24-port RG6 panel where there is 1 input and 24 outputs?
  • Is one RG6 lead going out of the house okay? should I run more while i can?
  • Is one Cat5e lead going out of the house okay? should I run more while i can?
  • I plan on having whole home DVR with DirecTV. Do I need to run more RG6 drops into boxes that already have one to support it?

Thanks a ton again for everyone's help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post

22 CAT5e drops throughout the house. I've got them all coming back to a media closet, which i'm going to terminate them and connect them into a monoprice 24-port unmanaged gigabit switch. I've then got one Cat5e cable going to the side of my house, acting as the "input" for when uverse comes to hook it up. Is this correct? will this methodology work?

If you're running all the wire yourself (meaning, you have the flexibility and the labor is "free"), you should consider running more cat6 wires for things beyond Ethernet. Which means 2-3 cables to any potential TV location. That can allow for distributed video and other possibilities.

Also, are you really going to use all 22 cables for Ethernet? The patch panel setup allows you to easily add/remove ports - buy a cheaper, smaller switch to fit your needs with some room for expansion.
Quote:
I've got 16 RG6 drops throughout the house. I've got them coming back to the same media closet. i have no idea how to terminate these all to one "unit" like the ethernet switch above. I've got one RG6 drop leading to the outside of the house along with that cat5e for my provider to hook up to. I'm planning on having DirecTV.

How the RG6 cables are connected will depend on what they're being used for. You can create a patch panel for them, but that's rarely done as much of the RG6 will need to be connected to splitters / amps / etc. And none of that gear works well with any rack-mounting solution. Best to just terminate all the cables and expect the gear to be wall-mounted (or in a structured wiring box).
Quote:
[*] How do I terminate all of those RG6 cables that a dropped throughout the house to one panel? Do they have a 24-port RG6 panel where there is 1 input and 24 outputs?

No, and how they're connected will depend on your service provider. And you'd only connect the outlets actually in use.
Quote:
[*] Is one RG6 lead going out of the house okay? should I run more while i can?

I would run two, but more importantly, run a flex conduit along with it so that whatever comes next can be brought into your distribution panel.
Quote:
[*] Is one Cat5e lead going out of the house okay? should I run more while i can?

Maybe, but the second part is YES. True throughout the house - the wire is cheap and it will never be easy to run again. Run more cable until you think you've gone overboard. Then add a few more and you'll be good. biggrin.gif
Quote:
[*] I plan on having whole home DVR with DirecTV. Do I need to run more RG6 drops into boxes that already have one to support it?

One will be sufficient for a new DirecTV install - but as you're doing your own wiring, I'd run two RG6 to at least the primary display locations in case you ever need two video providers, or to use the pair for audio distribution...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
1 coax is enough for Directv, but that leaves none for anything else like the cable company. While it's possible to diplex cable internet and swm onto 1 line, it's not guaranteed to work and most guys wouldn't know how or even want to try it.Definitely run another as well as conduit like jautor suggested.

It doesn't really make much sense to think of coax in your home as a network, leave that to the category cable. Jautor also touched on what to do with all the ends, basically your service provider will deal with that. Your ISP couldn't care less if you had whole home ethernet, however it's DIrectv's job to hook up the rooms you choose. One cable will connect the dish to a Directv splitter, which you then split off to all the different rooms. If you need more than 8 tuners (e.g. Genie + 3 clients + 2 dvr's), then you will need a SWM16 switch that DTV will provide AND 4 cables to the dish instead of 1.

Basically not much is required of you, just leave the coax, your provider will make all the connections. You will not need any amps with Directv.

One quick little note that you didn't ask about... all you should do is run the cable out to the demarc. Please please please please do NOT run the cable out to the peak of your roof. That's very rarely a good spot for a dish, and then the dish can't be grounded.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, thank you for the responses! I've got one coax, ethernet, and phone line going out the side of my house, not through the roof, so we're good there.

On the RG6, I will leave that alone since one should be enough, and if i need to add more, the drop will be VERY easy. The distribution box is in a closet near the attic line with plenty of space to get to it should I need to.

On the Ethernet, Unfortunately Cat 5e is already ran, so i can't go back and change it to Cat6, but nevertheless, the switch i bought was only $15X from monoprice. I dropped ethernet on multiple walls in each room in case I want to move stuff around, so i think I've got 2-3 runs in every room in the house.

I think my final question I didn't exactly see an answer for (correct me if i'm wrong) is do I need to run more than 1 ethernet cable from my switch to the outside of my house for the internet provider to hook up to? I can run another one to the outside of the house, but would it ever be used?

Thank you all!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post

I think my final question I didn't exactly see an answer for (correct me if i'm wrong) is do I need to run more than 1 ethernet cable from my switch to the outside of my house for the internet provider to hook up to? I can run another one to the outside of the house, but would it ever be used?

I would want at least two category cables to the demarc, plus a conduit if possible. That would allow for two service providers, or one provider and a landline! biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
to expand on that last point, if you go with DSL then you just need 1 cat5. If you go with cable co. internet that will come in on coax and you'll need a separate one for DTV. In that case you would need 2 coax. In general redundancy is better.

That said, your ISP does not connect directly into the switch. The ISP will connect the line from their public network into a modem, or perhaps a modem/router all-in-one kind of deal. The important thing to note is that if you lease or purchase just a modem, you'll need to buy a router too. A router routes, a switch switches.You'll need a router to get whole home ethernet using the switch, and a switch alone will not work. If you get a modem/router that will work..

coax or cat5 from ISP -> modem (or modem/router) -> router -> switch -> patch panel (optional)

If that doesn't make sense I can post pictures
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page