HD Satellite signal to two systems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I have a VIP 722K Dish Receiver, a Yamaha RX-V371 Home theater in a box and an Onkyo TX-NR 616 Home Theater amp.  The Yamaha is connected via HDMI to an HD Mitsubishi DLP tv and the Onkyo is connected to a new Epson HD projector via HDMI.  One of the reasons I updated the projector and Onkyo is to be able to have HD TV on the projector.

Room 1

-TV

-Yamaha

-Yamaha Receiver 

-Dish Receiver

-Powered HDMI Splitter

The splitter receives satellite on the input and the the 2 outputs are to the Yamaha and to the Onkyo 

Room 2

-Projector

-Onkyo Receiver

The goal is to be able to watch TV on one or both systems at any given time without much fuss.  I understand that it is the same signal, so the same program will be showing on both systems.  I have an SQ Blaster system to be able to control the receiver from the home theater room.

The challenge is that when I try to run both, the whole thing quits and I get blue screens.  The only way things work now is if I power down the splitter and unplug the output to the Yamaha, then I get a picture on the projector.  It is the same thing to watch TV through the Yamaha.  I can leave the cables plugged in if only one Home Theater Amp is on.  Once the 2nd amp is turned on, I loose the signal.

While I'd like to be able to watch both at the same time, the more basic goal is a simple system that does not require powering down a splitter and/or resetting Dish receiver if both amps happen to be on.

Thank you for any suggestions and/or directions to point me in for trouble shooting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Try bypassing the Yamaha and run HDMI from the splitter directly to the DLP, see if that changes the behavior.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 81
'Powered HDMI Splitter' - what is the splitter you are using?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc
post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
why not use the component out for one of them?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesat View Post

why not use the component out for one of them?

Oh, now, why didn't I remember that option... And I'm usually the one recommending component outputs... cool.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas.  I've tried two different HDMI splitters with the same results.  I purchased the splitters on Amazon, neither has a name brand on it.  One of them was used successfully to distribute a Popcorn Hour Media player signal.

I am guessing that my issue is caused by the signal going into two receivers and then a device from each receiver.  I am going to first try the component video and optical sound out (I should have both cables).  As long as the pic and sound is not noticeably lower quality, I think that approach is the winner.  Hopefully the simplest solution will be the best--that totally eliminates the HDMI issue.

I guess I was so fixated on HDMI connections, I didn't even think of the component approach.

If that does not work, I'll plug HDMI directly into DLP TV.

Great suggestions, will report out as soon as I've changed the cables.

Thank you.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Worked like a charm--I connected the dish receiver to the Yamaha via RGB and optical audio, then out to DLP TV using RGB out from Yamaha. No noticeable change of pic quality on DLP TV. Dish HDMI out goes straight to Onkyo input. Can watch TV in both rooms at same time. Very clean and simple solution, thank you. Even better, I had all the cables that I needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page