Grand Concerto + Sources that provide metadata - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 12-05-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone,

This is my first forum, and I have already learned alot about this product. I just had a quick question or so. I thank everyone in advance for taking their time reading over my thread.

1. With this system, I got the GC and the OLED screens. I would like a source that could potentially provide metadata THAT isnt the musicserver. I have no real programming knowledge. I was wondering how the wifi system could potentially integrate itself into this system?

2. Are sources basically just like plug and play into the GC? Or is there programming or other items that need to be done.

3. Is there any way this system can connect to my network storage? Is there any way data could be displayed?

Thanks again

R.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Can the wireless p200 substitute for the music server?
post #3 of 28 Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by labqi View Post

1. With this system, I got the GC and the OLED screens. I would like a source that could potentially provide metadata THAT isnt the musicserver. I have no real programming knowledge. I was wondering how the wifi system could potentially integrate itself into this system?

Lots of potential, NuVo hasn't announced anything...
Quote:
2. Are sources basically just like plug and play into the GC? Or is there programming or other items that need to be done.

Depends. If the source is configured using the software and the IR library (and perhaps the Learning station if needed), you can map the keypad buttons to trigger IR commands for non-NuVoNet devices. But to get basic audio in and volume control, no, nothing "mandatory".
Quote:
3. Is there any way this system can connect to my network storage? Is there any way data could be displayed?

The MPS4 Elite will do that. But that's back to the need for the music server...
Quote:

Can the wireless p200 substitute for the music server?

Not yet, at least, in terms of keypad / metadata support... But they can certainly be used as sources, just like a Sonos Connect could.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That damn music server is so expensive. I wish there were alternatives that could be used to display the metadata frown.gif
post #5 of 28 Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. That damn music server is so expensive. I wish there were alternatives that could be used to display the metadata frown.gif

It is, but as Neurorad and I always recommend - the associated music server / streamer product should be considered a mandatory component of these metadata-capable systems. Figure it into the price of admission...

But yes, I too hope that market pressure will bring the prices down on these solutions - especially as competing products enter the landscape...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 28 Old 12-06-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Which one would you recommend? Do you have to program those servers? Any idea where I can get them for a good price?
post #7 of 28 Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which one would you recommend? Do you have to program those servers? Any idea where I can get them for a good price?

Program? No, not really - you still may need the Concerto configuration software to set up the sources correctly - but that's very simple (you just need the software). Contact a local NuVo dealer directly to get a quote on one for a "DIY customer" - see if they'll give you a better than MSRP price. They come up on eBay often - but it would have to be a great deal to get one without a warranty - since it's essentially a computer with a hard drive...

Theater build photos:

post #8 of 28 Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Are these prone to issues. Do you know if they are releasing any new servers. Rather spend on a newer model vs a previous generation.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are these prone to issues. Do you know if they are releasing any new servers. Rather spend on a newer model vs a previous generation.

The MPS4 is effectively a "Windows-based appliance". I haven't heard of any "frequent" issues, but some folks have managed to get it into a bad enough state that it needed a factory restore, but certainly not anything we could call 'unreliable'.

I've asked them about future servers (at CEDIA three months ago), and didn't get any indication that there was anything coming "real soon". But they certainly weren't required to tell me anything about their future product plans. I would expect one at some point, but the likely announcement time for such a product would be CEDIA Expo (9 months from now).

Theater build photos:

post #10 of 28 Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I guess it would cheaper and more efficient for me to buy 3 iPod docks since I have many iPods lying around. Lol. What's do you guys think? What would the difference be if I did that? Just storage space?
post #11 of 28 Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess it would cheaper and more efficient for me to buy 3 iPod docks since I have many iPods lying around. Lol. What's do you guys think? What would the difference be if I did that? Just storage space?

The iPod docks will get you access to the music stored on the iPod. Which could be a reasonably-sized library these days! But it won't get you access (with metadata) to any of the streaming services, as the docks (this is not a NuVo-specific issue) access the music player interface on the iPod. So while you could launch Pandora from an app on the phone, you'll probably get audio, but won't get the metadata on the keypads nor be able to control it from there, either.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #12 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hey!

So just to confirm, metadata will be displayed for the music streamed from the iPod itself. Ummmm, so I think i can get the MPS4-Elite version for 3030 USD.What do you guys think?

post #13 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

I also noticed there was a 160GB hard drive music server...is that an older model...whats the difference (besides hard drive space) amongst the three servers/ports. 

post #14 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey!
So just to confirm, metadata will be displayed for the music streamed from the iPod itself.

Yes, for music STORED on the iPod...
Quote:
Ummmm, so I think i can get the MPS4-Elite version for 3030 USD.What do you guys think?

That is what, 20-25% off MSRP, right? I'd say from an authorized dealer that is a good discount...
Quote:

I also noticed there was a 160GB hard drive music server...is that an older model...whats the difference (besides hard drive space) amongst the three servers/ports. 

Yes, the original server, even before the MusicPort. The M3 is simply a hard drive music player. Think of it as a big iPod. No Internet / network support. No mobile app. Does provide metadata on the keypads. (I can't remember - it may support three simultaneous playback sessions).

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #15 of 28 Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yah. I got from an authorized dealer. I am new to this kind of stuff. Is it hard to set up. I don't want to spend 3k when i can't even set it up. What is the cheapest price for the elite you have seen. Mac compatible??
post #16 of 28 Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yah. I got from an authorized dealer. I am new to this kind of stuff. Is it hard to set up.

The server? No, not difficult.
Quote:
I don't want to spend 3k when i can't even set it up. What is the cheapest price for the elite you have seen. Mac compatible??

IIRC, there is a Mac utility for copying / syncing music to the server. And there's a web interface.

I haven't priced the Elite for myself, and my pricing data is out of date as MSRP's have risen since I last got quotes on any of that gear. Getting a 20-30% discount off MSRP from a dealer would be considered a pretty good price.

Theater build photos:

post #17 of 28 Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys. Long time.
smile.gif
I finally installed the iPod Dock and want to thank everyone for their help and clearance. I wanted to know if the iPod playlist would be accessible through the in wall touch pads. Essentially can I access different playlists? I can't find the appropriate selection.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys. Long time.
smile.gif
I finally installed the iPod Dock and want to thank everyone for their help and clearance. I wanted to know if the iPod playlist would be accessible through the in wall touch pads. Essentially can I access different playlists? I can't find the appropriate selection.

Have you attached an iPod yet?

The iPod menu shows up on the keypad menu - you should see the Playlists option there...

Theater build photos:

post #19 of 28 Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I have attached the iPod. It's maybe because I don't have the playlists set up. But regardless, shouldn't it let me go through the iPod songs etc. I can't even do that. I can't scroll through the individual songs without it changing the song. I can't access search by artists, albums etc. it's just one continuous play.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have attached the iPod. It's maybe because I don't have the playlists set up.

Yeah, if there aren't any playlists, you won't be able to use playlists...
Quote:
But regardless, shouldn't it let me go through the iPod songs etc. I can't even do that. I can't scroll through the individual songs without it changing the song. I can't access search by artists, albums etc. it's just one continuous play.

Are you hitting the Menu button on the keypad or just the forward/reverse buttons? Hitting Menu will get you the iPod album/artist/song/playlist menu to go through everything...

Theater build photos:

post #21 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I did hit that button. It doesn't give me any options to do anything for the iPod. I thought it would have. Do I have it hooked up properly? Does the nuvo system need an upgrade?
post #22 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

The only thing I see when I hit the menu is ummm just settings type of things...but nothing in relation to an iPod.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I did hit that button. It doesn't give me any options to do anything for the iPod. I thought it would have. Do I have it hooked up properly?

Apparently not... Have you connected both the audio cable and the NuVoNet cable (RJ45)?

Did you update the configuration to assign an input to the iPod dock as a NuVoNet device (I don't know if that would be required to get the menu to work, but you should do it regardless)?
Quote:
Does the nuvo system need an upgrade?

Don't think so...

Theater build photos:

post #24 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Weird. It's working now. Just took the iPod and put it back on.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Weird. It's working now. Just took the iPod and put it back on.

You're welcome. biggrin.gif

(it probably wasn't seated completely in the dock - the analog audio pins may have made contact so you could get sound, but not the data pins...)

Theater build photos:

post #26 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I really want to thank you. You have helped me through your this project and I am truly grateful. Big ups.
post #27 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey one more quick question.
I have the iPod set up and whatever but I noticed at the highest volume it gets really distorted. Not really distorted but distorted. My installer said the speakers are rated to handle twice the power of the amplifier or whatever. What kind of music files can I use to continue the high quality through all volumes levels.
post #28 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey one more quick question.
I have the iPod set up and whatever but I noticed at the highest volume it gets really distorted. Not really distorted but distorted. My installer said the speakers are rated to handle twice the power of the amplifier or whatever. What kind of music files can I use to continue the high quality through all volumes levels.

Highest volume where? From the zone keypad (not the iPod itself, correct)? On any source or just the iPod? Is the iPod dock source louder than others? You can adjust the gain on each source so it matches the rest (if it's different) - it's in the GC configuration software.

If it's not one of those things, and is simply "turning it up most / all the way", you're likely hitting the limits of the small-ish amplifier (nothing to do with the speakers). If you need more volume in a particular zone or two, you can easily add an outboard amplifier (larger one) to the system. An AudioSource AMP-100 would be a good start, but if you're really needing more power, another model or two up that product line would be in order...

Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page