Directv structured wiring question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Guys

I did all the pre-wiring in my house for a structured wiring setup. When we moved in, I just had the service providers to a basic setup since I didn't have all my wiring ready. Right now, Directv has the line going from the dish into a demarc box where it goes into the splitter. I am of course going to be moving the splitter to my structured panel.

Can I just keep the demarc box on the side of the house and use a double female F connector to go from their dish line and connect it into my line that will feed into the splitter? Or is it best to run a solid line from the dish all the way into the house and to the splitter.

I was thinking it would be easier in the future to switch services around if I used the demarc box but wasn't sure how much if any clarity I would loose with the double female connector setup.

Also, in my living room where the main tv and cable modem is, I have a power box that feeds power back the the SWM and also a network box that plugs into my router and feeds the internet back through the coax for the directv boxes. Am I able to put both of those boxes at the structured panel location also to clean up the living room area ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire105 View Post

Can I just keep the demarc box on the side of the house and use a double female F connector to go from their dish line and connect it into my line that will feed into the splitter? Or is it best to run a solid line from the dish all the way into the house and to the splitter.

Barrel connector will be fine. If it's exposed a piece of shrink tubing over it wouldn't be a bad idea...
Quote:
I was thinking it would be easier in the future to switch services around if I used the demarc box but wasn't sure how much if any clarity I would loose with the double female connector setup.

Zero.
Quote:
Also, in my living room where the main tv and cable modem is, I have a power box that feeds power back the the SWM and also a network box that plugs into my router and feeds the internet back through the coax for the directv boxes. Am I able to put both of those boxes at the structured panel location also to clean up the living room area ?

Yes. Just make sure the power injector is connected to the correct leg of the splitter (only certain ports pass DC power) - meaning the one it's plugged into now...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

OK Great

Yes the Directv rep was awesome. He gave me an 8-way splitter and advised me which line had to go into a specific port on the splitter to the SWM power box for it to work correctly.

Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
jautor already answered your question but maybe I'll flesh out the details since it's one of the few times I can. The POWER TO SWM port on the power inserter goes into the top left port or the splitter that has a red barrel and red line that says POWER PASSING. The SIGNAL TO IRD port of the power inserter allows signal to pass through and on to a receiver, or can be terminated with a 75ohm cap. The broadband connection box and the power inserter could both be moved to the structured panel, as long as there are power outlets and LAN connection for the Directv broadband kit.

It sounds kind of peculiar that you have an 8 way splitter in a weather enclosure outside when your cables come together at a structured wiring panel. Why wouldn't the tech just put the splitter there to begin with? Do you have 5 or more receivers? If you're worried about the quality of the signal going to the receivers you should know what causes signal degradation in the first place. Excessive cable, splices, and splitters are the main culprits. Technically a splice does adversely affect the signal, but not significantly that you should worry about unless your wiring is old and the runs are long and you're pushing the limit for passable signal. If it's safe from the weather you don't have to worry about it. Every connection I make outside I use rubber weather boots like the kind on a directv splitter. They work incredible. You could take some off of the Directv splitter and put them on a barrel splice for outdoors. Also tighten the splice with a wrench.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

acesat

Thanks for the confirmation in regards to the power inserter and broadband box. He (the installer) breifly went over that all with me and I was just going off memory.

The reason why the splitter is outsite for now is because when we built, the builder installed 4 free LV lines for us. We used 3 for coax and 1 for cat5e. I did a lot of cable running myself for multiple A/V reasons, one of which was I wanted a structured panel. All I did was run the wiring and had no ends or gang boxes completed as all the builder allowed me to do was run the wiring until we moved in. I had directv and comcast at my door the day after closing to get us up and running .

So they used the builders wiring to do a general hook-up using a demarc box to get us up until I was reasdy to complete the wiring. I had the directv guy just put the splitter in the box to stay out of the weather unti my honey-do list was shortened and I could do some things I wanted lol.

So essentially, I will just keep the demarc box on the house to keep everything from the weather and just have a barrel connection from the dish to my panel and then a coax going from comcast's setup to my panel for internet. I will be running a few more coax and a few cat5e lines to the demarc box for future proofing.

Also in regards to signal loss, I will only have a barrel connection in the demarc box and then the main 8-way splitter at the panel that directv supplied. For coax, I used Belden 7916A line throughout the whole house (except for the line that the builder provided). And maybe down the road we may go over 5 receivers, but right now we only have 2.

Thanks again
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would recommend using a splitter with fewer legs like a 2-way or 4-way. Also the power inserter can be installed in a few different ways. You can have the line from the demarc attached to the POWER TO SWM port and have the SIGNAL TO IRD port connected to the input of the splitter. I would do this if the line from the dish passes through a ground block first. Directv splitters have ground lugs built in so if I wanted to use a splitter to ground the dish as well, then I would put the power inserter after the splitter making sure the power goes into the red power passing leg. Then if you got a 2 way splitter you could attach a receiver to the SIGNAL TO IRD port and the whole point is that by using a 2-way splitter you minimize the dB loss a fair amount. In most typical residential installations the total cable run from receiver to dish is less than a couple hundred feet, and even the worst case scenario with rg-6 cable is still well within the working dB range. Unlike a cable co. signal that may need an amp depending on the public network, I never use amps with Directv installs. The picture quality should not be affected by such insignificant changes in dB's.

Basically it will work under worse conditions so you don't have to change anything but I have a preference for doing things a certain way to minimize points of failure. I'm sure you wont have any problems keeping the 8-way if that's easiest.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page