Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #541 of 572 Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
It was like Christmas day when I saw this post! Took less than 5 minutes to update to V4 and assign my zones/sources. It looks excellent on a tablet and web browser. We use this app every day on our phones, so it will be tested good! Thanks for making this Amp even better. (Monoprice owes you commission)

One suggestion: on my 2 Nexus phones 5.7" and 5" the screen used to fit easily, and now with V4 I will have to scroll down to get to volume. I will see if there is a way to re-size or zoom in the Chrome mobile browser. Another way to fix this would be allowing you to hide Bass and Treble. I set those day one and never change.

Anyways - hats off and a sincere Thank You Mike!
Hey Scott,

I have your email and was going to send out an email blast to everyone after some initial feedback.
Glad you found the post and upgraded!

I'm still working on the CSS and scaling for the various devices, meanwhile you can edit the
signalr.html file, look for:
$('.MediaButton').height((h / 9) - 25);
and try -50

Also, Are you "adding to homescreen" so it's an "app" or a browser bookmark?

If it's easier, please email me with pics
and if you can cut and past from
http://ryanve.com/lab/dimensions/

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 572 Old 05-16-2017, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
iTach IP address not picked up in app

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post
You will need either one of these, 1 is wifi and 1 is ethernet:
........ See screenshot of my settings:
Hi, I have been struggling to get this set up and would be so grateful for some help. I have the monoprice 6-zone and the iTach, and two chromecasts. My goal is to play spotify from my iphone and have a few zones. I configured it according to your settings (baud 9600 etc) and it shows up when I run the ihelp program from the iTach guys - so I have its IP. I downloaded the Audio Control App from Monoprice, but, I enter the IP address of the iTach into the settings and it constantly gives me the error that it cannot connect to the server. my iphone is on the same wifi network. Am I missing a step? Is this outlined anywhere? thank you!
post #543 of 572 Old 05-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayG View Post
Hi, I have been struggling to get this set up and would be so grateful for some help. I have the monoprice 6-zone and the iTach, and two chromecasts. My goal is to play spotify from my iphone and have a few zones. I configured it according to your settings (baud 9600 etc) and it shows up when I run the ihelp program from the iTach guys - so I have its IP. I downloaded the Audio Control App from Monoprice, but, I enter the IP address of the iTach into the settings and it constantly gives me the error that it cannot connect to the server. my iphone is on the same wifi network. Am I missing a step? Is this outlined anywhere? thank you!
This is where things can get a little technically involved. 99% of our users are not having any issues, but when they arrive they are usually tricky.

Can you try to ping the IP of the itach flex from a computer and make sure you get a response. To do this on windows you would go to start-run and type "cmd". In the terminal you would type "ping [ip address]". On a mac you would open terminal and run the same command. Probably best for you to PM me and we'll figure this out and then report back the issue to the thread for anyone else having the issue.

post #544 of 572 Old 05-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
This is where things can get a little technically involved. 99% of our users are not having any issues, but when they arrive they are usually tricky.

Can you try to ping the IP of the itach flex from a computer and make sure you get a response. To do this on windows you would go to start-run and type "cmd". In the terminal you would type "ping [ip address]". On a mac you would open terminal and run the same command. Probably best for you to PM me and we'll figure this out and then report back the issue to the thread for anyone else having the issue.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I don't have enough posts to PM, so replying here. I used the ping function in Network Utility on my mac (I don't have a PC) and got this back (below). This is a good sign, right? Please let me know what you think I should do next. I also wasn't sure if I should have any other cables connected to the monoprice unit that make the iTach work. Right now it is connected via the RS232 cable- I don't have anything else connected to the unit other than ethernet to the keypads (I don't want to use the keypads, so maybe this is not necessary)

--- 169.254.1.70 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 30.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 17.697/53.534/161.358/47.323 ms
post #545 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I don't have enough posts to PM, so replying here. I used the ping function in Network Utility on my mac (I don't have a PC) and got this back (below). This is a good sign, right? Please let me know what you think I should do next. I also wasn't sure if I should have any other cables connected to the monoprice unit that make the iTach work. Right now it is connected via the RS232 cable- I don't have anything else connected to the unit other than ethernet to the keypads (I don't want to use the keypads, so maybe this is not necessary)

--- 169.254.1.70 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 30.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 17.697/53.534/161.358/47.323 ms
Thats a lot of packet loss. Your setup should be ethernet cable to a router/switch from the itach and then itach to monoprice with the RS232 cable. I would make sure to reboot the flex and monoprice and see if you can get your packets to 0% loss. This is a full time open connection from the app and would need 0 loss. There is something going on. And it could be a defective flex, we have seen a few of those. Global Cache is usually pretty good about replacing them.
post #546 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Thats a lot of packet loss. Your setup should be ethernet cable to a router/switch from the itach and then itach to monoprice with the RS232 cable. I would make sure to reboot the flex and monoprice and see if you can get your packets to 0% loss. This is a full time open connection from the app and would need 0 loss. There is something going on. And it could be a defective flex, we have seen a few of those. Global Cache is usually pretty good about replacing them.
Ah! We have the "Global Cache iTach, Wi-Fi to Serial (WF2SL)" and it doesn't have an ethernet capability so it is set up via Wifi. Unfortunately where the speaker wires come out of our wall is far away from where our router lives, so the Wifi is probably an issue. Do we definitely need to get the Flex instead for what we are trying to do? Or will the WF2SL work if we can get packet loss reduced by fixing the Wifi situation?
post #547 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Ah! We have the "Global Cache iTach, Wi-Fi to Serial (WF2SL)" and it doesn't have an ethernet capability so it is set up via Wifi. Unfortunately where the speaker wires come out of our wall is far away from where our router lives, so the Wifi is probably an issue. Do we definitely need to get the Flex instead for what we are trying to do? Or will the WF2SL work if we can get packet loss reduced by fixing the Wifi situation?

WF2SL will definitely work, but yeah, its probably your wifi dropping out.
post #548 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
WF2SL will definitely work, but yeah, its probably your wifi dropping out.
Ok- I switched to a better router and redid the test. I now have 0 packet loss and avg 147ms response time. but I am still getting the same error "unable to connect to server, check settings" in the app. for Server, there is just one single text box. I'm just supposed to put the IP of the iTach in there, correct? Any other ideas?
post #549 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Ok- I switched to a better router and redid the test. I now have 0 packet loss and avg 147ms response time. but I am still getting the same error "unable to connect to server, check settings" in the app. for Server, there is just one single text box. I'm just supposed to put the IP of the iTach in there, correct? Any other ideas?
nvm- I keep doing the ping test and I am getting inconsistent results - still packet loss sometimes. I will continue to work on the internet situation and report back when I have an update. thank you again for your help! let me know if you have any other suggestions in the meantime.
post #550 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
nvm- I keep doing the ping test and I am getting inconsistent results - still packet loss sometimes. I will continue to work on the internet situation and report back when I have an update. thank you again for your help! let me know if you have any other suggestions in the meantime.

Yes, you want to use the IP of the iTach Flex. By default it uses port 4999. Can you confirm thats the port its using?
post #551 of 572 Old 05-19-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Do this: ping 169.254.1.70 / t

It will do a continual ping and you can see if moving it around or changing locations entirely helps with the packet loss.
post #552 of 572 Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, you want to use the IP of the iTach Flex. By default it uses port 4999. Can you confirm thats the port its using?
I'm sorry, I don't know how to verify that it is using port 4999. I just googled and read through some documentation on the Global Cache website but couldn't figure it out. How would I do that?
post #553 of 572 Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
Hey Scott,

I have your email and was going to send out an email blast to everyone after some initial feedback.
Glad you found the post and upgraded!

I'm still working on the CSS and scaling for the various devices, meanwhile you can edit the
signalr.html file, look for:
$('.MediaButton').height((h / 9) - 25);
and try -50

Also, Are you "adding to homescreen" so it's an "app" or a browser bookmark?

If it's easier, please email me with pics
and if you can cut and past from
http://ryanve.com/lab/dimensions/

Thanks,
Mike
Mike - have been testing for a week now. After the first day, the scaling started working as expected? I'm not sure how to explain that. I had intended to go modify the .html file, but it appears there is no need anymore. I have always used the 'app' as an icon. Works very similar on Android as iOS. (Add to home screen)

I wonder if there is such a thing as a stored cache that was causing the code to use the old scaling? Anyways - just wanted to update on how great it looks now across all my devices.

Great work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MonoAmp1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2152042   Click image for larger version

Name:	MonoAmp2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2152050  
post #554 of 572 Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
Mike - have been testing for a week now. After the first day, the scaling started working as expected? I'm not sure how to explain that. I had intended to go modify the .html file, but it appears there is no need anymore. I have always used the 'app' as an icon. Works very similar on Android as iOS. (Add to home screen)

I wonder if there is such a thing as a stored cache that was causing the code to use the old scaling? Anyways - just wanted to update on how great it looks now across all my devices.

Great work!
Thanks Scott,

My initial thought was the .CSS file was still cached somewhere

Meanwhile there is a repost of the Dropbox v4 (now 4.1) with some tweaks to the css/html for better "Compatibility", some bugfixes for Linux\Mono and new Features.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i61qluqxhy6mu7t/MonoAmpV4.zip

You can now run AmpMixer.exe on the same machine or another windows machine(s) as a "Mixer Client" to the running Mixer\task tray\homeseer\service attached to Amp.
See Readme in zip for details and changelog.

Next "on deck" for 5.0 will be Grouping Zones, and Saving\Restoring and Push\Pop of Amp State (and any other suggestions users might have

Regards,
Mike Pisano
scottphillips88 likes this.
post #555 of 572 Old 05-30-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know how to verify that it is using port 4999. I just googled and read through some documentation on the Global Cache website but couldn't figure it out. How would I do that?
I am still stuck at this step. Does anyone know of someone in the SF Bay Area that I could pay to finish this set up for me? I'm spinning my wheels here. Thanks all!
post #556 of 572 Old 06-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone else curious, I did get the Monoprice controller integrated with HomeAssistant. It works a treat! Full control from the HomeAssistantiPhone app or webapp plus automations via HomeAsssistant

Edit: And this is how I did it. Using a serial port to USB adapter with FTDI chipset, I successfully connected the Monoprice unit to my QNAP NAS. Piece of cake. No driver issues or anything. The QNAP immediately recognized the USB adapter, and the Monoprice unit mounted to /dev/ttyUSB0 after I connected it. My HA instance runs in a QNAP docker container. I ran another docker container for NODE. I gave the NODE container access to /dev/ttyUSB0.

Using jnewland's NODE API (https://github.com/jnewland/mpr-6zhmaut-api) for the Monoprice unit (running on my QNAP) led me to his custom platform (https://github.com/jnewland/ha-confi...mpr_6zhmaut.py) for the HA media_player component. Following his configuration.yaml (https://github.com/jnewland/ha-confi...iguration.yaml) and media_player.yaml (https://github.com/jnewland/ha-confi...ia_player.yaml) puts all the pieces together.

I ran into an issue with multiple status commands being sent too close together to additional slave mono price controllers. I couldn't figure out how to add a delay between requests, so I just commented the subsequent requests out. Because I only have one controller, this wasn't an issue for me. See lines 23 and 24 here: https://github.com/johnnyletrois/mpr.../master/app.js

I'm super happy with this setup. It achieves exactly what I want. Big thanks to jnewland for his code.

Last edited by johnnyletrois; 06-13-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #557 of 572 Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!

Thanks for sharing. This was super helpful. I got home assistant working today and love it!! Definitely makes the audio zones much more enjoyable
post #558 of 572 Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
I have two units and neither had a problem.

Did they work at all at first or have all three done the same thing?

Have you always tried them on the same outlet? any possibility in your outlet being wired backwards?
Do you have any further developments on your control of the 6-zone?
post #559 of 572 Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Eaton View Post
[I have two daisy-chained amps, and Monoamp running on a Raspberry Pi.]
Hi Danny could you explain how you get the Monoamp Software running on the PI?
post #560 of 572 Old 08-06-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonopriceAudio View Post
Do you have any further developments on your control of the 6-zone?
Your quoting a post\response about another user who had problems powering up 3 new amps?
I did have a similar problem, but that was because I accidently plugged a cat5 cable from an ethernet switch into the the RJ45 on the back of the amp and blew the amp.
For anybody else who does this - there is a small glass fuse inside the amp that you will need to change.

Besides that I love the Amps! - me and the wife wake up everyday with music via my Homeseer plugin and the Family use them daily via my App on their phones.

Regards,
Mike Pisano
post #561 of 572 Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiczambo View Post
Hi Danny could you explain how you get the Monoamp Software running on the PI?
After you follow the Pi tutorial to install Raspbian, you need to install Mono - which allows Windows Dotnet exe's to run on Linux
see
http://www.mono-project.com/docs/get...install/linux/

After mono is installed, extract my Zip and use "sudo mono AmpLoader.exe" to configure and control the amp.

Typical Linux Config is (See Amploader /help)
sudo mono AmpLoader.exe --com="/dev/ttyUSB0" --ip=192.168.1.101 --amps=1 --pw+
(192.168.1.101 being the ipaddress of the pi (see "sudo ifconfig")

Amploader with no parameters will start communicating with the amp and serve the App to your phones

From your phone goto (ie)
http://192.168.1.101:50231
then on the iphone you can "Add to Home Screen" to put icon on phone

if you have any issues - PM or email me

HTH
Mike
post #562 of 572 Old 08-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Amp no longer working

I have two amplifiers connected as Master and Slave. Yesterday the Master stopped working. It seemed to behave normally (Lights behave normally, responds to RS232 commands). What doesn't work is that no sound gets driven to any of the zones. I have tried all of the inputs and have the same result. The Slave amplifier is fine and I'm currently using it a master.

I opened up the unit and there are several fuses. One main fuse and twelve 3.15A 250V fuses (one for each amplifier). I checked all of the fuses and one was blown. I bypassed the blown fuse but the amp still doesn't work.

Anyone experienced a similar issue? Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Last edited by arcomax; 08-12-2017 at 03:41 AM.
post #563 of 572 Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post
How is this working? I'm contemplating the iRule setup for both home theatre as well as whole house audio. Looking at using the Monoprice as a main input controller then using my HT as one of the zone outputs - again, the idea being iRule to control all the functions based on what zone is selected, input, volume, etc. I'm assuming the Itach flex IP is connected via the RS232?
Has anyone figured out how to use the volume up and down controls with iRule? I use iRule for all of our rooms and it is fantastic and working to get it setup with the iTach and some audio zones I have in a new home.
post #564 of 572 Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Hey All, I purchased a random tcp/ip to serial adapter to get the amp online in hopes of using the ios app, links for both below. I havent been able to connect through the app and when i tried running one of Mike's exe files it automatically got sent to malware and wouldnt run on my pc. I know the app specifies a certain adapter but i didnt think the brand would matter and I'm sure Mike's files arent corrupt considering the success others have had.

I can see the adapter on my network but on the app it says it cant connect to server.

Can anyone help me get mobile/network control of the amp? I am trying not to install a keypad in every room and keep it simple with airplay and sonos sources.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATV2DX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

itunes.apple.com/us/app/monoprice-whole-home-6-zone-audio-control/id1168858624?mt=8[/url]
post #565 of 572 Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack101 View Post
Hey All, I purchased a random tcp/ip to serial adapter to get the amp online in hopes of using the ios app, links for both below. I havent been able to connect through the app and when i tried running one of Mike's exe files it automatically got sent to malware and wouldnt run on my pc. I know the app specifies a certain adapter but i didnt think the brand would matter and I'm sure Mike's files arent corrupt considering the success others have had.

I can see the adapter on my network but on the app it says it cant connect to server.

Can anyone help me get mobile/network control of the amp? I am trying not to install a keypad in every room and keep it simple with airplay and sonos sources.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATV2DX2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

itunes.apple.com/us/app/monoprice-whole-home-6-zone-audio-control/id1168858624?mt=8[/url]
UDPATE:
I changed the port of the ip/rs232 converter to 4999 which enabled access to the amp through the app.

I only have one source and 2 zones hooked up so far but seems to work pretty well.
post #566 of 572 Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Okay I know what you guys are thinking oh great another newbie.. I have read thru the 500 post on this thread and have learned a lot.. I found the monoprice whole house setup on Youtube on Scottphillips88 page, and when I did a google search I found this page.

Anyway, I’m in the beginning stages of framing my house that should be ready for wiring in two weeks and I want to make sure I have this down before I go too far, or forget something.
I didn’t have this in my original budget, so my plan is to start with (1) 6x6 zone then later on add a 2nd 6x6 zone. I will be running Cat6a to all wall controls and 16 awg wire to all speakers going through the control plates. (I will also be dropping all future lines as well behind the wall, and in ceiling)

First 6x6 install

Zone 1 - Master Bedroom 8”
Zone 2 – Master Bathroom 8”
Zone 3 – Pool area Wall Mount
Zone 4 – Covered Patio with Fireplace and TV above it. (40x16) 8” (4 speakers)
Zone 5 – Garage 8”
Zone 6 – Den/Study 8”

Future 6x6 install

Zone 7 – Bedroom2 8”
Zone 8 – Main Bathroom 6”
Zone 9 – Bedroom3 8”
Zone 10 – Lower Bedroom4 8”
Zone 11 – Lower Bedroom5 8”
Zone 12 – Lower bathroom 6”

RCA - Inputs
(run with RG6/coax)
1. Audio Receiver with Bluetooth in Living room 7.2 system
2. Master Bedroom TV
3. Patio TV
4. Den/Study
5. Open (Future Bar)
6. Open (Future Theater Room)

Questions I have
1. My reasoning for not adding a zone in the living room is I plan on the receiver in there being the main source for the whole house system. So, if I’m understanding this correctly. I could have a 7.1 (2 zone) in the family room playing what I want pushed throughout the house while pushing the 2nd zone to the whole house system. Am I correct in this thinking? I’m assuming this is how people tie their 5.1 system in.
2. How do I setup the IR function? What type of wire need to be ran where? What extra stuff do I need to purchase? I currently only want to be able to control my Livingroom Receiver to change from Bluetooth to FM, and change stations.
3. I’ve read on here if you have (2) 6x6 units you only have 6 inputs and 12 zones. However, when I asked monoprice during a chat they stated I would have just as many inputs as zones. Is this something new? I would love to put inputs in the bedroom so you can hook each TV in each room to their speakers in the ceiling.
4. How do I run the wires for the porch if I want to have 4 speakers?
5. Am I missing anything?

I'm very interested in the App, but I will worry about that down the road after I hook everything up.

I sure wish there were more how-to video’s on Youtube. Scottphillips88 had me by his display video, but some how-to video’s would be very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat6a runs Speaker.png
Views:	22
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	2293632  
post #567 of 572 Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lon 2 View Post
1. My reasoning for not adding a zone in theliving room is I plan on the receiver in there being the main source for thewhole house system. So, if I’m understanding this correctly. I could have a 7.1(2 zone) in the family room playing what I want pushed throughout the housewhile pushing the 2nd zone to the whole house system. Am I correct in thisthinking? I’m assuming this is how people tie their 5.1 system in.

This is a common scenario. You have a couple of options on configuration.
  • You can have the living room amplifier be a source into the whole house system and when selected as the source it will drive the living room speakers and the Monoprice WH amplifier will drive the rest of the speakers in other zones. Make sure your amplifier has a pre-amp out (ie RCA out) jacks to support this. Not all do. Yous hould also run cat 5/cat 6 from the living room amplifier to the Monoprice ampso that via baluns you can transmit the line level audio.
  • You canr un speaker wire from the monoprice amp to a common point in the living room where you also run the speaker wire from the living room amplifier. Then via an automatic or manual switch you can have EITHER the monoprice WH amplifier orthe living room amplifier drive up to 4 of the speakers.
Quote:
2. How do I setup the IR function? What type of wire need to be ran where? What extra stuff do I need to purchase? I currently only want to be able to control my Livingroom Receiver to change fromBluetooth to FM, and change stations.

I haven’t really used this. Assuming your Monoprice WH Amplifier won’t be in the samel ocation as the living room amplifier you will need to run a cable for the IR emitter cable from the Monoprice to the living room amplifier. Someone with more experience in this can give you a better answer.

Quote:
3. I’ve read on here if you have (2) 6x6units you only have 6 inputs and 12 zones. However, when I asked monoprice duringa chat they stated I would have just as many inputs as zones. Is this somethingnew? I would love to put inputs in the bedroom so you can hook each TV in eachroom to their speakers in the ceiling.
I have two amplifiers and I only get 6 source inputs despite what monoprice tells you.

You can have your local TVs drive local speakers by adding an in-wall speaker switch(or equivalent). There would be no need to use one of the source inputs on them onoprice unless it is your intent to have the TV drive speakers in other rooms as well.

Quote:
4. How do I run the wires for the porch if Iwant to have 4 speakers?
The monoprice can drive 4-ohm loads. If youhave 2 8-ohm speakers in parallel it gives you a 4 ohm load. To drive 4 speakers, connect two speakers in parallel for each of the left and right channel.

Quote:

• If you plan to have other amplifiers in the homealso be sources, I suggest you run Cat 5/Cat6 to each of those amplifier locations from the monoprice amp.
  • Consider that in the future that you may wantmore options for each set of zone speakers than having them driving only by the monoprice amplifier. This may be true for every zone you wire. One way you can accommodatethis is by running speaker wires to a common point in the wall before runningthem to the monoprice amplifier. Make sure this common point is in close proximity to power. Then in future you can put an external or in-wall amplifier and select between Whole house audio and local amp.

Last edited by arcomax; 10-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
post #568 of 572 Old 10-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Mooprice 6 Zone Amp and Smartthings

Quote:

4. How do I run the wires for the porch if I want to have 4 speakers?

I'm very interested in the App, but I will worry about that down the road after I hook everything up.

I sure wish there were more how-to video’s on Youtube. Scottphillips88 had me by his display video, but some how-to video’s would be very helpful.
I will make some more videos about this Monoprice 6 Zone amp. I cant post links here yet so just go to google and search bubbas reviews 6 zone amp. Watch the short one first. Subscribe because I will make more about the tricks I am doing with the my Monoprice 6 zone amp and Smartthings.

"I would love to put inputs in the bedroom so you can hook each TV in each room to their speakers in the ceiling." - I say do it! Monoprice has 100 ft RCA Cables on the cheap. I have 100 foot RCA on a few different inputs and they work great and sound great. For the best audio quality remember you only get one digital input per amp... honestly I cant relay tel much of a difference on a normal daily basis.

I hooked up my computer to the digital Audio input and use my windows 10 machine (that I work on everyday) as a hub everything. So spottily, Alexa's audio are all running through the digital out on my computer. 905 of the time I use this one audio source (but this is because I watch more Youtube on my computer than actual TV. Aka run audio to your main computer as you may be using it as a smarthome hub in the future.

Also I used this Access Series 18AWG CL3 Rated 4-Conductor Speaker Wire, 1000ft. This gives you a left and a right. I have 100 ft runs with zero issues. Just don't don't run it right next to electrical wires. When I have to cross an electrical wire I just cross them like an "X". Meaning dont freak out if it touches a few just don't touch each-other more than needed. Good day to buy

I have one room I have 4 Caliber In Ceiling Speakers 8 Inch Fiber 2-Way hooked up to one Zone. I did not bridge this zone just hooked up 2 lefts and 2 rights... Been running it strong for about a year and no problems yet. (If someone smarter than me has any better ((simple))advice for this please let me know.)) I do not have the patience to try and understand ohms and crap... I wish someone would just say "hook the firs speakes black to the amp and the second speakers black to the 1st speakers black"" something simple like this.

Last thing watch for it on sale like today they have 20%off and the 6 zone amp is as cheap as I have seen it ((Under $500 shipped))
post #569 of 572 Old 10-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
You can have your local TVs drive local speakers by adding an in-wall speaker switch(or equivalent). There would be no need to use one of the source inputs on them onoprice unless it is your intent to have the TV drive speakers in other rooms as well.
Okay I'm trying to understand how this would work. Would this require a local receiver by each tv in order to push the speakers in that room? Then have a speaker switch to switch between whole house and local receiver?

Last edited by Im Lon 2; 10-08-2017 at 09:37 PM.
post #570 of 572 Old 10-09-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Okay I'm trying to understand how this would work. Would this require a local receiver by each tv in order to push the speakers in that room? Then have a speaker switch to switch between whole house and local receiver?

If your tv only as audio out then yes, you require a local amplifier to drive the speaker and a switch to toggle between the speakers being driven by the monoprice receive and the local amplifier.

You can even use something like this which will give you capability for local Bluetooth devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Bluetoot.../dp/B010U5EGKE

Last edited by arcomax; 10-09-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page