Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptonic View Post
All three have done the same thing. I've tried them on multiple outlets in the house in multiple rooms. Even tried taking off the 110/220v plastic and toggling it to make sure.

To be clear, on a working unit, should the standby lights light up when turned on?
As soon as you press the button on the amp all the lights turn on blue, as you turn the zones on the corresponding blue light turns white.

I wouldn't play with the 110/220 switch especially if you have 220. Are you I the US? Is this in any sort of UPS?

Have monoprice confirmed the sent back units were bad, or admitted that they are having any issues with production? Doesn't make any sense.
Did you try any first in a different outlet?
I would try the next one at the office first just incase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
As soon as you press the button on the amp all the lights turn on blue, as you turn the zones on the corresponding blue light turns white.

I wouldn't play with the 110/220 switch especially if you have 220. Are you I the US? Is this in any sort of UPS?

Have monoprice confirmed the sent back units were bad, or admitted that they are having any issues with production? Doesn't make any sense.
Did you try any first in a different outlet?
I would try the next one at the office first just incase
I've never turned it to 220 and left it there. I'm in the US. Monoprice hasn't said anything about whether they have issues or confirmed they're bad. They've just gone through basic troubleshooting (including the voltage toggle) and then issued an RMA. Its starting to feel like they do have issues though. I'm giving up on the amp at this point and looking for other options.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I've never turned it to 220 and left it there. I'm in the US. Monoprice hasn't said anything about whether they have issues or confirmed they're bad. They've just gone through basic troubleshooting (including the voltage toggle) and then issued an RMA. Its starting to feel like they do have issues though. I'm giving up on the amp at this point and looking for other options.
Sorry to hear your giving up, when you get a chance I still would test your outlet to make sure it's ok. A lot of AC devices and all DC don't care about the ground plug or if the polarity is reversed, but amps are very finicky. Next time your in Home Depot pick up one of these

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT100/203195018

Good luck
Mike
Old 06-19-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear your giving up, when you get a chance I still would test your outlet to make sure it's ok. A lot of AC devices and all DC don't care about the ground plug or if the polarity is reversed, but amps are very finicky. Next time your in Home Depot pick up one of these

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools...T100/203195018

Good luck
Mike
Good point on the ground and polarity. It is an older house. I'll test for that.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Good point on the ground and polarity. It is an older house. I'll test for that.
No luck. The outlets all test good.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM

To all users of the MonoAmp Software
I've updated my Dropbox to Version 1.1

Features Include the ability to Name the Soruces and I've switched to SignalR Libraries to keep all the Apps and Mixer levels in Sync

This will be the Last Post on AVS - Please Email me and I will send you future updates and locations for where it will be hosted in the future

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...18/MonoAmp.zip

Regards,
Mike Pisano
Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which HTD product are you guys comparing to?

I stumbled upon this Monoprice controller and, like most on this thread, thought it looks like an awesome product and incredible price point. The discussion about the creation of customized applications to control really appealed to me. That said, the power output on this unit seems pretty low (50 watts/channel into a 4-ohm load or 25 watts/channel into an 8-ohm load. Each amplifier can be individually bridged to produce 100 watts into an 8-ohm load). The speakers I have in much of the house are Polk RC60i which are rated for 20-100wrms @ 8 Ohm. While in the range, the power output seems awfully close to the bare minimum so I wonder if I really want something with more power.

In looking at HTD I am really drawn to their Lync12 but obviously the price point is way higher. For those on this thread making comparisons to HTD is is safe to assume they are comparing it to the MCA-66 line?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Dgrstl

The Lync12 system look like a nice system having the meta data on the keypad, but as mentioned, at an ineradicable price point. I think this is closer the MCA-66 as far as features go.

As far as Power, I have to say I've been happy with it, so much that i bought two, I went with 6 and 8 inch Yamaha Speakers (50 min -140w)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ling-speakers/
Levels around the house are at about half, even in the master bedroom where the ceilings are vaulted. The master bath also vaulted, I'll cranked it up to 3/4 while showering. (if nobody is home )
Even in the outside (although I used two zones in back and one for side) at half volume is loud enough, and I control them via my App (no keypads). My next version I hope to group zones together so if you change source or volume, they will all change. (FYI: I have ported the code to RaspberryPi\Mono Beta for people who don't have a dedicated computer)

Keep in mind, normally it's background music, it's never gonna rock the house like my Theater Surround system, it's not it's intent, but the 14 year old cranks up her dance music in her bedroom and sometimes i wish it had less power.

Bottom line, for the price you really cant beat it, but like always, if your pockets are deep their's always something better....

HTH,
Mike Pisano
Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IR functionality/reliability?

Can anyone report on the robustness of the Monoprice system's IR repeater setup? I would be relying on it to dial in TV channels (with native remotes) and am wondering about reliability of the "eye" in the wall plates and the repeater in the controller itself.

In my current home (about to move), I've used HotLink Pro XL units (IR over Cat 5e), and it's been bullet-proof. I'm kind of scared to move into something else, especially when no one seems to be using/reporting on the IR feature of this thing.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q*bert View Post
Can anyone report on the robustness of the Monoprice system's IR repeater setup? I would be relying on it to dial in TV channels (with native remotes) and am wondering about reliability of the "eye" in the wall plates and the repeater in the controller itself.

In my current home (about to move), I've used HotLink Pro XL units (IR over Cat 5e), and it's been bullet-proof. I'm kind of scared to move into something else, especially when no one seems to be using/reporting on the IR feature of this thing.
I've only connected the all zones from both amps (I have 2, they are independent) to a grace box to control the presets.
The range on the remote that came with amp is limited as is the creit card remote from the grace box. I do have the grace box learned into a Logitech remote and it works perfectly from across the room.
Mike
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody has any idea what is the Vol + and Vol - code for RS232? It seem like each Vol required a code instead of +/-?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 PM

Kengtay,

You are correct, there is no +- commands, you need to query and send the new value which was the reason I wrote my Amp driver available above.

Mike
Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 PM

FYI - I know a few people have complained about dead units, and I just accidently fried both of mine.

During some rewiring I accidently plugged one of my cat5 wires from the hub into my Ethernet switches. When I turned both of my amps back on only one lit up. Before I realized what I did with my wiring mistake, I switched my rj45's on both amps and the second amp then wouldn't power on.

I fixed my wring mistake, and luckily the Ethernet voltage didn't hurt any of the keypads, but I did blow a small 1.5A glass fuse located on the power supply board inside the amps.

If anyone else does the same mistake, don't worry all isn't lost, but it will cost you a trip to Radio Shack.

Regards,

Mike Pisano
Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Dgrstl

The Lync12 system look like a nice system having the meta data on the keypad, but as mentioned, at an ineradicable price point. I think this is closer the MCA-66 as far as features go.

As far as Power, I have to say I've been happy with it, so much that i bought two, I went with 6 and 8 inch Yamaha Speakers (50 min -140w)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ling-speakers/
Levels around the house are at about half, even in the master bedroom where the ceilings are vaulted. The master bath also vaulted, I'll cranked it up to 3/4 while showering. (if nobody is home )
Even in the outside (although I used two zones in back and one for side) at half volume is loud enough, and I control them via my App (no keypads). My next version I hope to group zones together so if you change source or volume, they will all change. (FYI: I have ported the code to RaspberryPi\Mono Beta for people who don't have a dedicated computer)

Keep in mind, normally it's background music, it's never gonna rock the house like my Theater Surround system, it's not it's intent, but the 14 year old cranks up her dance music in her bedroom and sometimes i wish it had less power.

Bottom line, for the price you really cant beat it, but like always, if your pockets are deep their's always something better....

HTH,
Mike Pisano
Mike, thanks for your hard work, any possibility of ios app? and has anyone tried using zone 2 or 3 out put from av receiver (which I can control with their specific app and send airplay) as an input to monoprice unit and then distribute audio? I am looking at solutions where I do not have to install cat 5/6 plates and simply run speaker wires and still able to control which zone it plays in. Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 PM

I'm a little confused, It is an IOS app and the amp is ment to dist audio with cat 5 plates?

Please Clarify?

Mike
Old 01-31-2015, 04:05 PM

Sorry mike for being unclear regarding zones.
I simply want to run speaker wires from Monoprice unit to each zone (different rooms in house). I want to be able to select zone (room) I will be playing my music but I am not wanting to run cat 5 and install plates on each of those zone. I understand your app running on windows machine can help do that. Am I correct in understanding that? Now what other interface I can use for same result i.e ios app or something else?

I have yamaha receiver which has its own zone setting (zone 1 for home theater, zone 2 for patio or other place you would want to place your speakers, but only one pair of speakers can go). I can control yamaha receiver with ios app, send airplay for any music i am playing on my phone. So here is what I am thinking

Yamaha receiver zone b (content and zone selected from yamaha app)-->monoprice multizone unit (zone controlled with some other app? or windows computer. not sure if remote will work without line of sight, or think about irule or other app and ir repeater)-->speakers

is this feasible?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish View Post
Yamaha receiver zone b (content and zone selected from yamaha app)-->monoprice multizone unit (zone controlled with some other app? or windows computer. not sure if remote will work without line of sight, or think about irule or other app and ir repeater)-->speakers
How many rooms do you want to feed off of Zone2? Using the AVR as the only source to a WHA system is kinda a waste and will make control more difficult. If you're not going to wire for keypads (mistake!) and just run speaker wire, you might want to look at the HTD system sold without keypads and their new network control unit:

http://www.htd.com/Products/Mid-Leve...ithout-Keypads

But this still requires sources. Depending on how many you have, you should consider using the Yamaha Zone2 for one of them (maybe), and then a Sonos Connect:Amp for the others.

A lower cost choice than all of this is a speaker selector - again depends on your desired usage...

Jeff
drriddhish likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks Jeff..I think that will be a good solution for me. I always admired your theater..beautiful.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:41 PM

First, sorry i missed the "Not" in "I do not have to install cat 5/6 plates..."

Second, Jeff above has many good points

If you're only worried about one source and multiple zones and no keypads or IR then are other, cheaper options.

You have basically reduced the capabilities down to a controllable speaker selector - granted, multi amp so you can control levels without effecting other zone levels or ohms issues, but again as Jeff asked - 'how many zones?"

if you have given up on local keypads then I’m guessing that your going to centrally control the house "Mix". Although the "APP" (mine or others) is handy as a multi user remote control, if its only the Yamaha then there is no de-centralized control (ie Wife in the laundry room, kids in the bedrooms, me in the pool with a cigar and a single malt (lol))

We are all guilty of "over buying" - we all have boxes of it! If you truly want that much amperage and individual control of room levels then as Jeff said, look at the Lynx unit or other “Non Keypad” distributed solutions.

Mike
Old 02-04-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Good points, Mike. One of my buddies uses a speaker selector and uses his Denon's zone 2 to pass to 3 zones. He just has volume knobs on the walls in the 3 zones and turns them up when he wants to listen in each room. Although more manual, it still works really well. I think many of us are new to the idea of whole house audio so are trying to figure out what works best for us, without over buying as you mention :-).

Quote:
First, sorry i missed the "Not" in "I do not have to install cat 5/6 plates..."

Second, Jeff above has many good points

If you're only worried about one source and multiple zones and no keypads or IR then are other, cheaper options.

You have basically reduced the capabilities down to a controllable speaker selector - granted, multi amp so you can control levels without effecting other zone levels or ohms issues, but again as Jeff asked - 'how many zones?"

if you have given up on local keypads then I’m guessing that your going to centrally control the house "Mix". Although the "APP" (mine or others) is handy as a multi user remote control, if its only the Yamaha then there is no de-centralized control (ie Wife in the laundry room, kids in the bedrooms, me in the pool with a cigar and a single malt (lol))

We are all guilty of "over buying" - we all have boxes of it! If you truly want that much amperage and individual control of room levels then as Jeff said, look at the Lynx unit or other “Non Keypad” distributed solutions.

Mike
Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone else have any concerns with buying the Monoprice unit since it's been out of stock for some time now? I moved into a new (to me) house in mid-January and started looking at this monoprice unit, but it was out of stock then with expected availability Jan 26th I think, and is still out of stock now with availability listed as 2/6/15. Based on the couple of failures that have been reported in the reviews of the unit, I'm a little nervous to invest in the unit plus the speaker and cat 5 wiring to set this up without knowing that there will be available stock to pull from for any warranty issues. Thoughts?

Another question: how do people integrate this with, say, a 5.1 channel system in a great room? Just output zone 2 from the receiver to the unit and use the receiver's remote or app to select sources and maybe a Sonos Connect as well, OR it is better to feed a Sonos and other sources into both the Monoprice unit with RCAs and the 5.1 channel system with HDMI (I didn't know if it was possible to output both from single sources). I could imagine there'd be times when I would want to listen to a Sonos input in my better 5.1 channel system, and not just through the whole house distribution so that would make me need to hook it up to both.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got this amp up and running. So far I just have one zone until the rest of the home renovations are complete. I am running the monoprice 6.5" DVC in ceiling speakers running stereo mode in parallel and I am very pleased.

The next project is control. Has anyone integrated this with Roomie or iRule via rs232?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin_R6 View Post
Just got this amp up and running. So far I just have one zone until the rest of the home renovations are complete. I am running the monoprice 6.5" DVC in ceiling speakers running stereo mode in parallel and I am very pleased.

The next project is control. Has anyone integrated this with Roomie or iRule via rs232?
I am also interested in the Monoprice am p and iRule control. mpisano has in an earlier part of the thread discussed his control program. Anyone incorporate it/modify it or otherwise make it a part of an iRule system?

- Phil
Old 04-04-2015, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can you combine zones?

I'd like to control multiple zones with 1 keypad. Is that possible?

I plan to have 3 zones with 4 speakers each. While I could just hook up 4 speakers to each of 3 zones, my gut tells me it would be better to use all six zones and just pair them together. Correct?
Old 04-04-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLC View Post
I'd like to control multiple zones with 1 keypad. Is that possible?

I plan to have 3 zones with 4 speakers each. While I could just hook up 4 speakers to each of 3 zones, my gut tells me it would be better to use all six zones and just pair them together. Correct?
The amp is 4 ohm stable; assuming you'd be hooking up (4) 8 ohm speakers to each zone, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't go that route.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
Old 04-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre325 View Post
Another question: how do people integrate this with, say, a 5.1 channel system in a great room? Just output zone 2 from the receiver to the unit and use the receiver's remote or app to select sources and maybe a Sonos Connect as well, OR it is better to feed a Sonos and other sources into both the Monoprice unit with RCAs and the 5.1 channel system with HDMI (I didn't know if it was possible to output both from single sources). I could imagine there'd be times when I would want to listen to a Sonos input in my better 5.1 channel system, and not just through the whole house distribution so that would make me need to hook it up to both.

A little late for the reply. I have integrated both cable box and Sonos Connect and cable box with the Monoprice multi-zone amp and 7.1 AVR. From Sonos Connect, I just connect the RCA output to the Monoprice unit and connect the optical out from Sonos Connect to the AVR. They are both active at the same time. I am an Xbox One user and have the cable box connected to the Xbox One HDMI In. From the Xbox One, I connect the HDMI out to the AVR and the optical out (in 2.0 PCM format) to the Monoprice unit. The Xbox One is designed that way to enable use of external DAC via optical for headphones. I can now listen to TV audio in all of my zones (useful for game day). You will need a more expensive AVR to downmix audio from HDMI in to Zone 2 stereo output. Not all receivers can do that.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Looks like I will be jumping on the bandwagon. The last house we built I used an ABUS system with Yamaha in-ceiling speakers and was generally very happy with it. I didn't get fancy and simply used the 3.5mm jack to connect to a PC that ran background music 24/7. I then used Logmein from my phone/tablet to control the music as desired.

We have since sold that house and will be building again in the next few months. This monoprice unit just jumped to the top of my list thus far. I appreciate all the comments and custom coding that has been done for this unit.

Edit: I guess I didn't realize this unit requires home runs of speaker wire. I definitely preferred my ABUS in that regard as each wall panel was the amp and required only a home run of Cat5.

I guess I better start pricing a whole bunch of speaker wire! What AWG did you all use?

Last edited by scottphillips88; 04-14-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
Edit: I guess I didn't realize this unit requires home runs of speaker wire. I definitely preferred my ABUS in that regard as each wall panel was the amp and required only a home run of Cat5.

I guess I better start pricing a whole bunch of speaker wire! What AWG did you all use?
Yes, you absolutely want to home run speaker wire along with the cat5e. Route the speaker wire through the keypad location so you can use either type of system (A-Bus or centralized). That is the CEA's whole house audio wiring standard.

16AWG is usually used for WHA setups. Monoprice is your friend here...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Yes, you absolutely want to home run speaker wire along with the cat5e. Route the speaker wire through the keypad location so you can use either type of system (A-Bus or centralized). That is the CEA's whole house audio wiring standard.

16AWG is usually used for WHA setups. Monoprice is your friend here...

Jeff
I appreciate the reply back. Glad I noticed this in the owners manual before running lines. I also like the suggestion of routing through the keypad so I can terminate the lines early and connect via a power keypad in the future.

If you think 16AWG is suitable, that's what I'll order. I definitely like the price of that better but didn't think I could run all the way to the basement with 16.

On my last build I went all out with fairly expensive Yamaha in wall speakers. This time I am being very tempted by the monoprice speakers. They are 1/5th the price.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottphillips88 View Post
On my last build I went all out with fairly expensive Yamaha in wall speakers. This time I am being very tempted by the monoprice speakers. They are 1/5th the price.
I had Proficient speakers in my last house. In this one I have the Monoprice angled LCR and I have to admit they sound great. I don't think the Proficient sounded better.

Be warned they have to break in.. They sound horrible out of the box. Our main TV has these and they blend in seamlessly.

I measured the frequency response and posted it, just search for "monoprice" with me as the author.

I also have the Monoprice 6-zone unit.. I'll finish hooking it up one of these days The keypads also have an IR terminal block so you may want to run some cable for that if you think you may need a remote IR receiver.

Tim
scottphillips88 likes this.