Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #61 of 70 Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by asymptonic View Post
All three have done the same thing. I've tried them on multiple outlets in the house in multiple rooms. Even tried taking off the 110/220v plastic and toggling it to make sure.

To be clear, on a working unit, should the standby lights light up when turned on?
As soon as you press the button on the amp all the lights turn on blue, as you turn the zones on the corresponding blue light turns white.

I wouldn't play with the 110/220 switch especially if you have 220. Are you I the US? Is this in any sort of UPS?

Have monoprice confirmed the sent back units were bad, or admitted that they are having any issues with production? Doesn't make any sense.
Did you try any first in a different outlet?
I would try the next one at the office first just incase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
As soon as you press the button on the amp all the lights turn on blue, as you turn the zones on the corresponding blue light turns white.

I wouldn't play with the 110/220 switch especially if you have 220. Are you I the US? Is this in any sort of UPS?

Have monoprice confirmed the sent back units were bad, or admitted that they are having any issues with production? Doesn't make any sense.
Did you try any first in a different outlet?
I would try the next one at the office first just incase
I've never turned it to 220 and left it there. I'm in the US. Monoprice hasn't said anything about whether they have issues or confirmed they're bad. They've just gone through basic troubleshooting (including the voltage toggle) and then issued an RMA. Its starting to feel like they do have issues though. I'm giving up on the amp at this point and looking for other options.
post #63 of 70 Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I've never turned it to 220 and left it there. I'm in the US. Monoprice hasn't said anything about whether they have issues or confirmed they're bad. They've just gone through basic troubleshooting (including the voltage toggle) and then issued an RMA. Its starting to feel like they do have issues though. I'm giving up on the amp at this point and looking for other options.
Sorry to hear your giving up, when you get a chance I still would test your outlet to make sure it's ok. A lot of AC devices and all DC don't care about the ground plug or if the polarity is reversed, but amps are very finicky. Next time your in Home Depot pick up one of these

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT100/203195018

Good luck
Mike
post #64 of 70 Old 06-19-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisano View Post
Sorry to hear your giving up, when you get a chance I still would test your outlet to make sure it's ok. A lot of AC devices and all DC don't care about the ground plug or if the polarity is reversed, but amps are very finicky. Next time your in Home Depot pick up one of these

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools...T100/203195018

Good luck
Mike
Good point on the ground and polarity. It is an older house. I'll test for that.
post #65 of 70 Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Good point on the ground and polarity. It is an older house. I'll test for that.
No luck. The outlets all test good.
post #66 of 70 Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM

To all users of the MonoAmp Software
I've updated my Dropbox to Version 1.1

Features Include the ability to Name the Soruces and I've switched to SignalR Libraries to keep all the Apps and Mixer levels in Sync

This will be the Last Post on AVS - Please Email me and I will send you future updates and locations for where it will be hosted in the future

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...18/MonoAmp.zip

Regards,
Mike Pisano
post #67 of 70 Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which HTD product are you guys comparing to?

I stumbled upon this Monoprice controller and, like most on this thread, thought it looks like an awesome product and incredible price point. The discussion about the creation of customized applications to control really appealed to me. That said, the power output on this unit seems pretty low (50 watts/channel into a 4-ohm load or 25 watts/channel into an 8-ohm load. Each amplifier can be individually bridged to produce 100 watts into an 8-ohm load). The speakers I have in much of the house are Polk RC60i which are rated for 20-100wrms @ 8 Ohm. While in the range, the power output seems awfully close to the bare minimum so I wonder if I really want something with more power.

In looking at HTD I am really drawn to their Lync12 but obviously the price point is way higher. For those on this thread making comparisons to HTD is is safe to assume they are comparing it to the MCA-66 line?
post #68 of 70 Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Dgrstl

The Lync12 system look like a nice system having the meta data on the keypad, but as mentioned, at an ineradicable price point. I think this is closer the MCA-66 as far as features go.

As far as Power, I have to say I've been happy with it, so much that i bought two, I went with 6 and 8 inch Yamaha Speakers (50 min -140w)
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ling-speakers/
Levels around the house are at about half, even in the master bedroom where the ceilings are vaulted. The master bath also vaulted, I'll cranked it up to 3/4 while showering. (if nobody is home )
Even in the outside (although I used two zones in back and one for side) at half volume is loud enough, and I control them via my App (no keypads). My next version I hope to group zones together so if you change source or volume, they will all change. (FYI: I have ported the code to RaspberryPi\Mono Beta for people who don't have a dedicated computer)

Keep in mind, normally it's background music, it's never gonna rock the house like my Theater Surround system, it's not it's intent, but the 14 year old cranks up her dance music in her bedroom and sometimes i wish it had less power.

Bottom line, for the price you really cant beat it, but like always, if your pockets are deep their's always something better....

HTH,
Mike Pisano
post #69 of 70 Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IR functionality/reliability?

Can anyone report on the robustness of the Monoprice system's IR repeater setup? I would be relying on it to dial in TV channels (with native remotes) and am wondering about reliability of the "eye" in the wall plates and the repeater in the controller itself.

In my current home (about to move), I've used HotLink Pro XL units (IR over Cat 5e), and it's been bullet-proof. I'm kind of scared to move into something else, especially when no one seems to be using/reporting on the IR feature of this thing.
post #70 of 70 Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q*bert View Post
Can anyone report on the robustness of the Monoprice system's IR repeater setup? I would be relying on it to dial in TV channels (with native remotes) and am wondering about reliability of the "eye" in the wall plates and the repeater in the controller itself.

In my current home (about to move), I've used HotLink Pro XL units (IR over Cat 5e), and it's been bullet-proof. I'm kind of scared to move into something else, especially when no one seems to be using/reporting on the IR feature of this thing.
I've only connected the all zones from both amps (I have 2, they are independent) to a grace box to control the presets.
The range on the remote that came with amp is limited as is the creit card remote from the grace box. I do have the grace box learned into a Logitech remote and it works perfectly from across the room.
Mike
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page