Russound MCA-C3 Release 7 - need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I purchased an MCA-C3 and DMS 3.1 recently for a new construction home I am building.  My DMS is on the current firmware (V5.00.05) for release 7 but the C3 is not current (REV.1 V6.02.00).  I want to get it updated before I hook it up to have the Pandora and TuneIn additions.

According to the Release 7 Firmware Update Process document from Russound, I should be able to update over ethernet (section MCA-C3/C5 Controller 6.00.00 or greater Firmware Update) but I cannot get this to work.  When I go to the Product Information page (MCAC3 in my web browser) everything checks out and it shows the current version, bootloader, and network information.  But when I click the Administration menu I get an error message (I attached a screenshot).

I have read some previous threads from a while back and many people seem to have issues using a Windows 7 computer.  Has anyone been able to successfully complete the firmware update over ethernet and/or using a Win7 PC?  I don't have an RS-232 cable and would like to avoid buying one if the update can be done in this manner.

Here are the instructions from the Release 7 update process:

MCA-C3/C5 Controller 6.00.00 or greater Firmware Update
1. For the controller that is to be updated, make sure the Controller ID dial on the rear is set to “1.”
2. From a computer on the same network as the MCA-C3/C5 controller, open a web browser
3. In the address bar, type MCAC3 or MCAC5 and the press the return key. The Product Information page will be displayed
4. Select Firmware Update from the Administration menu
5. From the Firmware Update page select “Update firmware”, enter password “russound123” when prompted
Once the firmware update has been completed and the controller has rebooted, the page will refresh to the
Product Information page.

Here are the error message(s):

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.  Getting an RS-232 cable might end up being my only option, but I first wanted to try here to see if others have experienced this and found a resolution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Another thing, I notice on the back for the controller ID switch, there is a setting for "Firmware Update"  in addition to 1-6.  But the instructions for both firmware update methods (using the RS-232 cable and the SCS-C5 software or over ethernet) both say to have the switch set to position 1.  What's the point of that "Firmware Update" position if it's not used in the firmware update process???

post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

So, I just hooked up my MCA-C3 up to my ethernet and tried to complete the firmware again thinking maybe it was just an issue with Russound's server where the firmware update files are since the error message states:  'Failed to read file "/updates/updates.xml" from server "updates.russound.com".'

However, today I am still getting the same errors when I try to complete the firmware update.  Here's the home Product Info screen showing the version and network information:

And there here's the same error I get after clicking the "Firmware Update" under the administration menu:

The Release 7 firmware update process document doesn't have any step for downloading and saving the firmware package to your PC locally when updating over ethernet.  Also, I never get prompted for the password after clicking the "Firmware Update" option (Step 5) it only goes straight to the error screen:

MCA-C3/C5 Controller 6.00.00 or greater Firmware Update
1. For the controller that is to be updated, make sure the Controller ID dial on the rear is set to “1.”
2. From a computer on the same network as the MCA-C3/C5 controller, open a web browser
3. In the address bar, type MCAC3 or MCAC5 and the press the return key. The Product Information page will be displayed
4. Select Firmware Update from the Administration menu
5. From the Firmware Update page select “Update firmware”, enter password “russound123” when prompted
Once the fi rmware update has been completed and the controller has rebooted, the page will refresh to the
Product Information page.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Well - I finally caved in, dug an old Windows XP desktop out of storage and hooked it up to my ethernet.  After performing a factory initialization from the SCS-C5 software and then attempting to update the firmware over ethernet from the WinXP computer I achieved a successful result.  I am not sure why the firmware update process hates windows 7, but I tried completing with three different browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Firefox) on my Win7 laptop with no success.

Just seems a bit odd that this process wouldn't accommodate Win7 as that platform has been around for a number of years now.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page