New 6X2 HDMI matrix switch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been searching for a 6X2 matrix switch for a few years. Recently, DVDO came out with one for about $500.. Ridiculous price, in my opinion, for a matrix switch.

I think silicone image was the company, which came out with a 6X2 chip for this application..

Anyway, I was pleased when I saw the switch below.. I bought the only one available..
Its got both positive and negative.

It really is a 5X2. The 6th input is MHL (for hooking up phones/tablets).

Below are the details.
It does have toslink audio out and even lets you flip between 2 ch, 5.1 and 7.1 with its EDID switch.

Everything is great with this.. except two problems.

1. I was unable to record its IR codes on to my URC mx 780.
2. Its IR is weak. Some times, I have to press a button more than once, to be able to select that I/O.

Wmicro HDMI Splitter HDMI1.4 6x2 Matrix 3D HDMI 1.4a video format 4K x 2K 1080P
by WMicro

This 6x2 HDMI Matrix Switcher has six HDMI inputs & two HDMI outputs which can show any of the 6 inputs in any combination to any of the 2-HDMI outputs. Connect your HDMI source devices like a Blu-ray DVD, cable & satellite receiver and a video game to the inputs and the outputs connect to the two displays. The built-in signal compensation allows either display to be up to 35 feet from the matrix (using 22 AWG cables), on both the input & output side of the matrix. The 18-key remote control lets you change inputs, outputs, audio settings and more.

The Picture-in-picture (PIP) mode lets you view two inputs at once on one widescreen as well as you can connect your smartphone or tablet to Video input-6 for big-screen enjoyment thanks to the MHL connector.
What sets this 6x2 HDMI Switcher apart from others:

6 - 4K Ultra HD HDMI Female Inputs
2 - 4K Ultra HD HDMI Female Outputs
Supports a small Picture-in-picture (PIP) display for all inputs (see More Pictures TAB)
1 - HDMI (Shared MHL) Female connector on HDMI Input 6 for smart phone photos, music & TV movie connection - An MHL to HDMI adapter is not supplied.
1 - Optical Toslink Output to go to a surround sound amp
1 - 3.5mm analog audio output for either an headphone or stereo amp
A remote control with 18-discrete buttons
Advanced EDID handling
4Kx2K compatible
ARC compliant
CEC 1.4 compliant
HDMI 1.4a compatible
2D and 3D complaint
Built-in IR sensor with remote control
CAUTION: Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) is a new standard for use with some tablets and smartphones. It transmits video and audio via the micro USB connector and converts it to an HDMI signal. Some tablets and smartphones have 11-pin MHL outputs and some have 5-pin so we do not include any cable including an MHL to HDMI cable. They are commonly available so check you smart device to buy the proper MHL to HDMI cable.

The matrix can automatically read your input devices' EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) parameters, sync them, and select the suitable output parameters. The (PIP) small Picture-in-Picture mode lets you view two inputs at once and you can connect your smartphone or tablet to port-6 for big-screen enjoyment due to the MHL support. Also, due to the HDMI 1.4 support, you can enjoy cutting-edge 4K video in addition to 1080p, 3D, digital surround audio and up to 16-bit color depth.
6x2 HDMI Switcher Features:

6-HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs, all in the rear
Compliant with HDMI 1.4a, CTS 1.4a, DVI 1.0.
HDMI 1.4 support: Audio Return Channel (ARC), 3D TV support, CEC1.4.
Supports 3D Video & 4Kx2K, 8, 10, 12 & 16 bits per color depth.
Support MHL input, Share your smart phone photos, music and movies on the TV.
Audio support: HDMI 1.4 compatible audio interface Dolby TrueHD DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1CH
Full audio input and output support
HDCP 1.2 compliant *Bandwidth: 2.22 Gbps per channel, 6.65 Gbps total
Supports Full HD 1080p 24fps, 60Hz
Supports deep color 30 bit and 36 bit
Supports resolution up to 1920 x 1200
Supports standard 24 bit color (RGB/YPbPr) and xvYCC color space
Supports DTS-HD, true-HD, LPCM7.1, AC3, DTS and DSD audio formats
IR remote control included
Simple and easy one-key switching
Metal case for quick heat dissipation and durable construction
It has two 4K-HDMI outputs and six-4K HDMI inputs with one of the inputs is MHL-enabled. It also features independent switching (so changing the output on one display won’t cause any blanking or other interruption of the output to the second display).

This 6x2 HDMI Switcher is equipped with six HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs. The six inputs accommodate the simultaneous connection of up to two high definition video sources, such as satellite systems and HD DVD players. The two outputs send the high definition audio/video signals to up to 2 high definition displays and can show any two of the six inputs.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/6x2-hdmi-switcher.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I bought it from Amazon and it works (I did Limited testing).

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384583/hdmi-matrix-switch-why-is-this-so-complicated/60#post_24218813
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, im looking at getting this device, its currently on eBay via a number of seller from approx £70.

So this device will only support 5 proper devices the 6th input is just for mobile devices?

Also whats the handshake time like, i have a old 4x2 switcher and the handshake for the time it takes a picture to be display upon switching between inputs is a good 5-8 seconds, is this any better?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockABoots View Post
Hi, im looking at getting this device, its currently on eBay via a number of seller from approx £70.

So this device will only support 5 proper devices the 6th input is just for mobile devices?

Also whats the handshake time like, i have a old 4x2 switcher and the handshake for the time it takes a picture to be display upon switching between inputs is a good 5-8 seconds, is this any better?
Handshake time is very short.. It is almost instantaneous. You can use 6th input for normal devices and Mobile devices. You can't use the other 5 inputs for mobile device. Maybe you can use all inputs for mobile devices like Samsung Note 3 - because it has regular USB3 connection.. I don't know.. but I think I used the 6th input for a blu ray player.. I am not 100% sure.. but I think 6th input works just like the other 5.

If your unit is also from the same chinese manufacturer, it will work fine. Its a great value for the money!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just ordered one of these that was branded a bit differently, but appears to be exactly the same product. I could've just gotten by with a 4x2 matrix, but I tend to think that my HDMI sources are likely to only increase. Ideally, I would actually get something like an 8x4 matrix, but they're prohibitively expensive. I already have a Key Digital 1x2 HDMI distribution amp, so I'll start splitting one of the outputs of the 6x2 matrix if/when I have more displays in use. As of now, I don't really anticipate needing to send two different sources to two different displays (let alone three sources/displays). I'm glad to have the capability, though. After swapping cables around for long enough, a person starts to worry that they're going to break an HDMI input or output.

Another reason I went with this product is that it sounds like it works a bit better than many of the 4x2 matrix switches. If A) the switching is truly instantaneous, B) it doesn't need frequent resets, and C) the SPDIF output can actually override the displays' EDID and do more than 2-channel, then I think this unit is probably better than 90% of 4x2 matrix switches in terms of core functionality. I base that on reviews and comments I've read on various models, not actual experience, mind you. It sounds like a lot of people have issues with the commonly available 4x2 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post
Everything is great with this.. except two problems.

1. I was unable to record its IR codes on to my URC mx 780.
This worries me a bit, since I more or less need to control the unit through an IR repeater with my Harmony 300 remotes. If I can't get this working, I may have to return it, since I really don't want to carry some chintzy remote (or any remote) from room to room.

One question, audvid. Does this unit automatically switch to the active input if no other video sources are active?

As much I hope this unit works out (and for $80, that would truly be miraculous), I would love it if someone came out with an affordable 8x4 matrix switch. I can't imagine the silicon is terribly expensive. You don't seem to see the no-name units in anything more than 4x4, though. I would happily pay $250 for an 8x4 matrix switch that was reliable and worked well.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was able to record it signals more easily, after I replaced the battery. With my mx780, I still had to try several times for a couple of codes. I can send you the CCP file.
It does not switch automatically to live input.
It didn't need resetting with power on/off except for twice in past week.
Switching is very fast.
With the output A going to Sony qualia 004, there's never sync lock issue..
Output B goes to a Sony receiver and then to an optima projector.
When first powered on, I have to wait till optima is on for 10 to 15 secs and then turn receiver on for it to sync HDMI properly.
Once powered in, no sync issues.
This switch is an amazing value!
About a year ago, somebody was asking $1200 on eBay for this!
This is one of the few times I thank the Chinese. American companies like Geffen and others were ridiculously overpricing HDMI matrix switches. They might be slightly better but not worth 5 or 10 times the price!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It's encouraging to hear that you got your universal remote to learn the codes. If it works with my remotes, I really don't need auto switching.

So you run two projectors? Interesting. Do you have any threads or galleries detailing your setup?

Yes, prices have certainly come down on matrix switches. I suppose the price drops and increases in inputs have aligned sufficiently for me to jump into the market. If/when an 8x4 switch gets cheap, I'll probably be ready to upgrade, but the 6x2 will be a big upgrade from having to swap cables all the time.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
It's encouraging to hear that you got your universal remote to learn the codes. If it works with my remotes, I really don't need auto switching.

So you run two projectors? Interesting. Do you have any threads or galleries detailing your setup?

Yes, prices have certainly come down on matrix switches. I suppose the price drops and increases in inputs have aligned sufficiently for me to jump into the market. If/when an 8x4 switch gets cheap, I'll probably be ready to upgrade, but the 6x2 will be a big upgrade from having to swap cables all the time.
I do run two projectors in two different rooms.
As time progresses, I don't seem to need the matrix anymore.
I might go back for a non matrix 8X1 or 8X2 switch.. EDID is always an issue when there are two projectors running.. There are simple HDMI "splitters" which seem to work fine..
I don't have a gallery.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page