TV audio to in ceiling speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I hope I'm in the right thread. I recently installed a Samsung TV in the kitchen. It's source is a Directv C41 client box, controlled by a Directv HR44 (Genie) in another room. The TV has built in RVU technology - it can function as a Genie client, but I wasn't able to make it work the way I wanted, so I gave up and installed the small client box. The C41 has HDMI which goes into the TV. It also has an S/PDIF coax output.

My in ceiling speakers are driven by an Integra DTM-40.4 AV receiver, located a floor below in a closet. The receiver is networked and is controllable through an iPhone app.

What is the simplest way to get the TV audio through the in ceiling speakers Would it just be to run a coax digital audio cable to the Directv box from the Integra? I don't necessarily want to use the in ceiling speakers all the time, but I would like it as an option.

I have an opportunity to run any kind of cable through the walls right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 353
An RG6 cable would be the easiest - although I'd run at least one extra cat5e/cat6 line wherever there's a display.

Assuming the in-ceiling speakers are on the Zone2 outputs from the Integra - you're going to have to convert the signal to analog before going to the AVR. AVRs in general don't route digital inputs to the zone2 outputs (check that one specifically, but pretty sure it doesn't, either).

So a cheap DAC is needed. I would suggest the Monoprice PCM stereo-only model, and configure the DirecTV box to always output PCM (no Dolby Digital). Which in your use case wouldn't hurt anything.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

A model with Dolby Digital support will run ~$50 or so...

Jeff
AV_Integrated and ceat like this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I will not be using the zone 2 outputs from the Integra, somI don't think I would need an external DAC. Sorry to be dense - by RG6 you mean just a coax cable with an RCA connector?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmramos View Post

Actually, I will not be using the zone 2 outputs from the Integra, somI don't think I would need an external DAC.

So those are the only two speakers you've got attached to the receiver, then? You'll need to configure the AVR (or the DirecTV box) to output L/R only - so that the digital signal is downmixed to 2-channel properly.
Quote:
Sorry to be dense - by RG6 you mean just a coax cable with an RCA connector?

Yes. Either terminate with an RCA jack, or, my preference, terminate with the normal coax F-connector, and use the $.50 RCA-to-F adapter on both ends.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Just because it's always good to have a second opinion...

Jautor is dead on with his recommendation. It certainly makes sense to add an extra wire or two while doing things, but the best (and proper) way to do this is with a piece of coaxial wire between the DirecTV receiver and your A/V receiver for the room.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

the best (and proper) way to do this is with a piece of coaxial wire between the DirecTV receiver and your A/V receiver for the room.

Toslink -> coax -> Integra? I've never used S/PDIF. Distance limitation? Should fiberoptic be used?

With walls open, run extra cables, for futureproofing. You won't have this same hardware setup in 10 years.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

run cat 6 from the tv to the receiver, then get a set of digital audio baluns by niles (provided that your TV and the receiver have digital coaxial outputs and inputs in not you may have to pick up converters toslink to digital coaxial)

even easier i just found these, but you will have to run cat 6

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Audio_199/Digital-Audio-over-Cat5eCat6-Cable-Extender_1367

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page