on q panel help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a new home with an On Q panel in the basement. I can seethat the current configuration is for phone. My question is can I punch cables down I to the existing phone panel and jump them to a network distribution module then connect to my switch and modem?

Please see the attached pictures.
This is my current panel. I'd like each of these lines to carry data instead of phone.

Second part of the question is, is there a way to carry both phone and data over these lines

I purchased this data distribution module. My plan is to jump from the current panel to this module.

Will this work? Any suggestions on how to make this work. I'd like to wire my house for data and if possible keep the phone

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdesrochers View Post

I just purchased a new home with an On Q panel in the basement. I can seethat the current configuration is for phone. My question is can I punch cables down I to the existing phone panel and jump them to a network distribution module then connect to my switch and modem?

Not exactly. You'll pull the wires off the telco block and punch them down instead to your network (keystone) block.
Quote:
Second part of the question is, is there a way to carry both phone and data over these lines

Well, it can be done, but with limit you to 100Mb Ethernet. You separate the pairs at both ends of the wire, taking one pair for phone and leaving the rest (at least two) for 100Mb Ethernet. Gigabit Ethernet requires 4 pairs, which means you don't have enough pairs for that if you pull one off for the phone.

Better answer is to convert them for networking, and use a cordless phone system with multiple handset, honestly...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG4734B-Cordless-Answering-Handsets/dp/B0073W707O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390264958&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+phone+cordless

(I have the 6 handset version with Bluetooth, which works very well. And I had plenty of cat5e running around that I could have used wired phones, too...)

Jeff
tgdesrochers likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Not exactly. You'll pull the wires off the telco block and punch them down instead to your network (keystone) block.
Well, it can be done, but with limit you to 100Mb Ethernet. You separate the pairs at both ends of the wire, taking one pair for phone and leaving the rest (at least two) for 100Mb Ethernet. Gigabit Ethernet requires 4 pairs, which means you don't have enough pairs for that if you pull one off for the phone.

Better answer is to convert them for networking, and use a cordless phone system with multiple handset, honestly...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG4734B-Cordless-Answering-Handsets/dp/B0073W707O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390264958&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+phone+cordless

(I have the 6 handset version with Bluetooth, which works very well. And I had plenty of cat5e running around that I could have used wired phones, too...)

Jeff

Thank you. I thought that was the answer. Just want to make sure. Looks like it is a network conversion for me and VoIP phones. Again thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff

One last question. Should the modem and switch be located at the network closet or can I place it somewhere else in my home and somehow still make the rest of the lines live.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdesrochers View Post

One last question. Should the modem and switch be located at the network closet or can I place it somewhere else in my home and somehow still make the rest of the lines live.

Either way works, it just depends on what wiring you have in place. Having it all in the panel, or on the wall next to the panel, is probably easiest. But if you want to place the modem and router elsewhere, you'll need an Ethernet link between the two locations, and an additional Ethernet switch in the panel. No way around that...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page