HDMI BALUN w/ NEW CISCO 8642 BOX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running into an issue. I have 4 locations I ran Cat5e to for HDMI Balun control to a central av closet. I have all the Cisco 8642 Cox Cable boxes and am getting a blue screen on 3 TVs. The balun to the living room works, but I believe it's because I have surround sound setup in the living room, and the receiver is processing the signal coming from that particular cable box. When I hook the other baluns up to the box I know that works, I get the same issue. Apple TV works great to every other room in the house over the same baluns that give me a blue screen. I've heard that you can run the hdmi balun through a hdmi splitter and slow down the transmission just enough to get a picture? Is that the best way to workaround this issue without going to component baluns for Cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes , putting a 1x2 splitter in line between the balun and the box is the work around for these boxes.
aaronengel24 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM

I had similar issues with my Samsung BD Player. The work around is to disable some of the picture enhancing features on the BD player. You may need to play a bit to disable to any picture enhancement features and see if that helps.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Techphil, guess that's what I'll do.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

rajbsn,
My Sony BDPS5100 works fine with it. It's just these new terrible boxes that cisco pushed out.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Same problem here! I have mine using the Monoprice HDMI baluns and when I use those with any AVR (Have used both Denon and Pioneer) the picture is fine. I lost my AVR (out for repair) and running from the cable box to the TV directly using the same baluns it doesn't work.

On my Scientific Atlanta 8300 I see the cable menu but the picture never comes in; on the Cisco box I dont get anything except a blue screen. I know this seems to be an issue with HDPC because the light on the balun goes off and on as well as the Scientific Atlanta box occasionally will show a message stating something about the device must be connected to a HDPC compatible device. Xbox doesn't like it either without the receiver there.

What baluns are you (or others) using and how far are the connections?
post #7 of 11 Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Liked: 12
an hdmi splitter will typically rectify the signal, your avr was doing the same thing
post #8 of 11 Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 PM

An appropriate HDMI Extender will work fine. If it's not working with these cable boxes it could just be an EDID issue. Some extenders let you change the EDID in the Extenders to correct the problem. It could also be a distance issue. Some extenders also give you an adjustment for distance. Adding an AVR into the mix can help (and sometimes hinder) the handshake between HDMI Devices.

CAV Installations

URC Total Control  -  Vantage  -  Monitor Audio  -  Autonomic  -  Fusion Research  -  TiVo

post #9 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
'and slow down the transmission just enough to get a picture?' - that's a new one on me smile.gif

HDMI Extender - which units are you using?

Hot Plug - are you powering all devices Off at the wall whenever you are making any connectivity changes?

Central location - are you splitting one Source to multiple Zones or is it 4 Sources on a direct connection to just one Zone each?

CAT cables - any Patchbay or wall plates in the cable runs?

Apple TV - that is a conundrum as ATV is often problematic.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #10 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM

This is the one I have from Monoprice running over cat6. works when going through my AVR so I doubt it is the punchdown made to patch panel and wall plate. Got word today my main digital board on my Pioneer 1323-k had to be replaced and the part takes 3 weeks from Japan. :-(

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2
post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2014, 07:10 PM

When using HDMI Extenders over Category cable you shouldn't use any "punch downs". It is highly recommended to avoid these and if you can, also avoid any breaks and connectors in the line.

CAV Installations

URC Total Control  -  Vantage  -  Monitor Audio  -  Autonomic  -  Fusion Research  -  TiVo

Reply Home A/V Distribution