Sonos Vs. Squeezebox Touch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,355
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Anyone have experience with both? Thoughts on how they compare?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Well, the Squeezebox was discontinued more than a year ago, so there's one comparison...

A comparison would probably be between the Squeezebox Touch and the Sonos Connect with any Android tablet as a controller. The biggest difference in usage is that you can control the Sonos from anywhere with a mobile device. The Squeezebox primarily through the touchscreen / simple IR remote. There have been apps made to control Squeezebox devices, so you can probably get close to the same usage model - but why bother?

Unless you already have a Squeezebox - go the Sonos route. Current product, in active development, beats similarly-priced, similarly-functioned, discontinued product almost every time...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You can listen to higher resolution sources with the Squeezebox. the ipeng app is awesome for control.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,355
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Well, the Squeezebox was discontinued more than a year ago, so there's one comparison...

A comparison would probably be between the Squeezebox Touch and the Sonos Connect with any Android tablet as a controller. The biggest difference in usage is that you can control the Sonos from anywhere with a mobile device. The Squeezebox primarily through the touchscreen / simple IR remote. There have been apps made to control Squeezebox devices, so you can probably get close to the same usage model - but why bother?

Unless you already have a Squeezebox - go the Sonos route. Current product, in active development, beats similarly-priced, similarly-functioned, discontinued product almost every time...

Jeff

Agreed 100% there biggrin.gif I did read too that perhaps at some point in the near future, their server would likely stop offering some of the streaming services, so that is another issue you could potentially run into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

You can listen to higher resolution sources with the Squeezebox. the ipeng app is awesome for control.

I know for sure that Sonos can do flac and alac files, and pretty sure in 24/192

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Agreed 100% there biggrin.gif I did read too that perhaps at some point in the near future, their server would likely stop offering some of the streaming services, so that is another issue you could potentially run into.
I know for sure that Sonos can do flac and alac files, and pretty sure in 24/192
For sure Sonos can't do more than 16 bit resolution.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The biggest difference in usage is that you can control the Sonos from anywhere with a mobile device. The Squeezebox primarily through the touchscreen / simple IR remote. There have been apps made to control Squeezebox devices, so you can probably get close to the same usage model - but why bother?

Unless you already have a Squeezebox - go the Sonos route. Current product, in active development, beats similarly-priced, similarly-functioned, discontinued product almost every time...

Jeff

Squeezeboxes have always had many ways to control them, the IOS apps are great. What you can't do with a sonos is build a player with a cheap arm device like a pogo plug or raspberry pi. I don't get the Sonos hype.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

What you can't do with a sonos is build a player with a cheap arm device like a pogo plug or raspberry pi. I don't get the Sonos hype.

You buy it, plug it in and it works. Nothing to build.

And there's nothing wrong with building something, if you want to...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You buy it, plug it in and it works. Nothing to build.

And there's nothing wrong with building something, if you want to...

I did the same thing when I bought my Logitech Squeezeboxes, I Plugged them in and they worked.
The huge advantage with Squeezebox players is anyone can make one and then control it with
an easy to use app like iPeng or Squeezepad or just about any home automation system.
I didn't have to build my own players, I did it because I could. With iPeng even an iPod or
IPad can be a player.

I still don't get what is supposed to be so great about Sonos.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

I did the same thing when I bought my Logitech Squeezeboxes, I Plugged them in and they worked.

Right. But you can't do that today - because they've been discontinued...
Quote:
The huge advantage with Squeezebox players is anyone can make one and then control it with
an easy to use app like iPeng or Squeezepad or just about any home automation system.
I didn't have to build my own players, I did it because I could. With iPeng even an iPod or
IPad can be a player.

The difference NOW is that you have to build the solution for Squeezebox, as opposed to just buying it ready to go.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Right. But you can't do that today - because they've been discontinued...
The difference NOW is that you have to build the solution for Squeezebox, as opposed to just buying it ready to go.

Except you can still find them for sale, so that's not true.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

Except you can still find them for sale, so that's not true.

rolleyes.gif

Do you not see a difference between "discontinued" and "find them for sale"?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What I see is that you can still buy Squeezeboxes so your comment that you would "have to build the solution" is not true.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

What I see is that you can still buy Squeezeboxes so your comment that you would "have to build the solution" is not true.

This is my last comment for this thread, as the OP got the info he was looking for.

If you can find a discontinued product for sale somewhere, great, you don't have to build a solution. But you started your responses talking about building a solution using Raspberry Pi and the various software component, which is a completely different (but totally valid) path. I tried answering both points, but they've gotten mixed together.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,355
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
I've actually been enjoying the chat. I think both can easily be argued "for" but in my particular case, I went ahead and got the Sonos connect, as I like it's scale-ability throughout the house biggrin.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Member
 
ezlotogura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had SB in my house, had 2 radios and a Duet. I found the SB software a bit tempermental at times with losing connections to services, having to reinstall services, just refusing to sync between radios, etc. Mind you, most of the time it worked fine, it was just spotty sometimes.

I have recently moved, added Control4 to my house and needed more integration and zones, so I swapped over to Sonos. Even w/o the C4 integration, the Sonos app, services and user programming just seems easier, its more stable, etc.

Does not matter for everyone, but I believe SB uses your wifi, whereas Sonos creates its own "mesh" network to put less strain on your wifi/network.

And as it has been said, SB is discontinued. They have another product now, but its only a radio, and it lost some features too - its called UE Smart Radio or something (UE = Ultimate Ears, a label they recently purchased).

If I had to invest in one platform now from the start, it would be Sonos, hands down.
ezlotogura is online now  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

This is my last comment for this thread, as the OP got the info he was looking for.

If you can find a discontinued product for sale somewhere, great, you don't have to build a solution. But you started your responses talking about building a solution using Raspberry Pi and the various software component, which is a completely different (but totally valid) path. I tried answering both points, but they've gotten mixed together.

I was not just trying to be argumentative, I just wanted to make sure the O.P. knew you could still buy new Squeezeboxes. The fact that you can build your own is just a plus and allows you to add more players in the future if you can no longer find a Squeezebox for sale or if you like doing things yourself.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post

I had SB in my house, had 2 radios and a Duet. I found the SB software a bit tempermental at times with losing connections to services, having to reinstall services, just refusing to sync between radios, etc. Mind you, most of the time it worked fine, it was just spotty sometimes.

I have recently moved, added Control4 to my house and needed more integration and zones, so I swapped over to Sonos. Even w/o the C4 integration, the Sonos app, services and user programming just seems easier, its more stable, etc.

Does not matter for everyone, but I believe SB uses your wifi, whereas Sonos creates its own "mesh" network to put less strain on your wifi/network.

And as it has been said, SB is discontinued. They have another product now, but its only a radio, and it lost some features too - its called UE Smart Radio or something (UE = Ultimate Ears, a label they recently purchased).

If I had to invest in one platform now from the start, it would be Sonos, hands down.

Just for full disclosure, I run LMS on a pogo plug and all my squeezeboxes are hardwired on a managed switch, I have not experienced the problems you had. I tried syncing Squeezeboxes just to try it and it worked fine for me, I have my Squeezeboxes in a centrally located equipment closet hooked to a whole home audio system so I sync through it.

I believe the UE Radio can be flashed with Squeezebox firmware to make it a Squeezebox Radio.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The UE smart radio was recently discontinued as well.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Member
 
ezlotogura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wayne - the work you are doing is great for the DIY, but if you are talking about the masses, easy set up, WAF, etc, Sonos will win over SB. I had a 2300 sq ft 3 level house with the 3 SB's on different floors (1 was hard wired, 2 were wireless) and again, 95% of the time they were fine, but they did crap out a few times, give me issues, etc. Even then I did recommend them to a few people because price point/entry was cheap.

now that sonos has added the Play series of speakers, SB is discontinued (and I guess so is UE Radio, that is new to me) I cant see how SB really gives sonos a run for its money. That's all.
ezlotogura is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Fastnbulbous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Anyone have experience with both? Thoughts on how they compare?
I've had Squeezebox Duet with two receivers for the past 5 years and was mostly happy, until the receiver in my bedroom died. I cannot find a used replacement receiver anywhere. There's a few Duets with remotes on eBay, and if I can get one for $150 that might be okay. However, if something else fails it'll be a waste of money if I eventually have to give up on the system and migrate to Sonos.

Here are the things I don't like about Squeezebox that I wonder if Sonos improves on:

1) There used to be an app that let you stream music from the Squeezecenter directly from your computer to a stereo without an extra Squeezebox receiver. That was no longer supported after software updates a few years ago, which is stupid. So I can't have music in the office synched with the rest of the house. Does Sonos have that option?

2) Squeezecenter doesn't support Spotify, though a janky 3rd party app sort of works.

3) My Mediamonkey player in office and at work has a nice "Analyze Volume" feature that allows it to normalize the output so that my speakers are not blown by huge differences in volume between songs. Squeezebox supposedly does that too but it sucks at it. How about Sonos?

4) I had buffering issues now and then that drove me nuts. How does Sonos work with proprietary wifi. Does that mean it doesn't need to use my router at all and has its own transmitter?
Fastnbulbous is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Fastnbulbous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
I've had Squeezebox Duet with two receivers for the past 5 years and was mostly happy, until the receiver in my bedroom died. I cannot find a used replacement receiver anywhere. There's a few Duets with remotes on eBay, and if I can get one for $150 that might be okay. However, if something else fails it'll be a waste of money if I eventually have to give up on the system and migrate to Sonos.

Here are the things I don't like about Squeezebox that I wonder if Sonos improves on:

1) There used to be an app that let you stream music from the Squeezecenter directly from your computer to a stereo without an extra Squeezebox receiver. That was no longer supported after software updates a few years ago, which is stupid. So I can't have music in the office synched with the rest of the house. Does Sonos have that option?

2) Squeezecenter doesn't support Spotify, though a janky 3rd party app sort of works.

3) My Mediamonkey player in office and at work has a nice "Analyze Volume" feature that allows it to normalize the output so that my speakers are not blown by huge differences in volume between songs. Squeezebox supposedly does that too but it sucks at it. How about Sonos?

4) I had buffering issues now and then that drove me nuts. How does Sonos work with proprietary wifi. Does that mean it doesn't need to use my router at all and has its own transmitter?
OMG, I'd have to get a $349 Connect receiver for each room? That's ridiculous. So overpriced. There needs to be better options than this, FFS.
Fastnbulbous is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
OMG, I'd have to get a $349 Connect receiver for each room? That's ridiculous. So overpriced. There needs to be better options than this, FFS.
Two Duets (at the time) would have been the same price... Two Connect units give you more functionality than a single Duet with two receivers (if you value that).

Also, the cost to deploy depends on what you're trying to attach to the units. A Sonos Play unit might be a better choice if you're not hooking up to an existing amp/speakers and want a self-contained unit, for example.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,355
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
OMG, I'd have to get a $349 Connect receiver for each room? That's ridiculous. So overpriced. There needs to be better options than this, FFS.
Go buy a bunch of apple TV's then ya cheapskate.....Haha Only kidding. I kind of agree but for a wholly contained system, that sells extremely well in big box stores, the sonos stuff is not all THAT badly priced. I mean there really is no direct competition now without the squeeze box moving forward. Airplay/appleTV is a decent option, but you have to use itunes to make it work, with your library, and no spotify or pandora (unless something has changed over the last year or so).

I'm with ya, but as others have said, the play1 or something else works fine for some rooms, with connects being the main thing you need for your dedicated systems.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
OMG, I'd have to get a $349 Connect receiver for each room? That's ridiculous. So overpriced. There needs to be better options than this, FFS.
OK we will wait why you start a new company with a new line of products to compete with Sonos and let's see what kinds of prices your products have.

Waiting...

Still waiting...

OK get back to us when your new company is up and running.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Fastnbulbous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fcwilt: Sure I'll start a company. I'll tell you where you can deposit your investment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Two Duets (at the time) would have been the same price... Two Connect units give you more functionality than a single Duet with two receivers (if you value that).

Also, the cost to deploy depends on what you're trying to attach to the units. A Sonos Play unit might be a better choice if you're not hooking up to an existing amp/speakers and want a self-contained unit, for example.
No, Duet list was $300, and if you don't need two remotes, you could get a receiver for $150 list. I got them at a discount for about $300 total. So quite a bit less. I connected them via optical cable to Marantz HT in the living room, and the receiver in the bedroom.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed after investing time and money in a setup to see it be discontinued, no longer supported, and the only competition is not a great value.

Does Sonos still have the limitation of only being able to index 65,000 tracks in its database? That's kind of pathetic, and wouldn't work for me. For now I'll just get another used Duet receiver.
Fastnbulbous is offline  
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,484
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
No, Duet list was $300, and if you don't need two remotes, you could get a receiver for $150 list. I got them at a discount for about $300 total. So quite a bit less. I connected them via optical cable to Marantz HT in the living room, and the receiver in the bedroom.
Old article I found here gave MSRP of $399... And we can't compare pricing against any "deal" one gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed after investing time and money in a setup to see it be discontinued, no longer supported, and the only competition is not a great value.
It's not unreasonable, I'd still like Roku to bring back their SoundBridge... While Sonos may not be considered a "great value", it does the job well.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is online now  
Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
fcwilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
Does Sonos still have the limitation of only being able to index 65,000 tracks in its database? That's kind of pathetic, and wouldn't work for me.
You are absolutely right. You would not believe how many folks call me up to complain that 65,000 tracks is just not enough. Pathetic, just pathetic.


Let's see... assume 15 tracks (on average) per CD... that's about 4333 CDs... assume $10 per CD... that's about $43,330 for the entire collection.

That's quite a collection you own. You do own all those tracks, right?


It seems that the Sonos line is still around and the SqueezeBox line appears to have gone into hiding.

So that pretty much tells me which way the market went.

With the pathetic stuff.

Stupid consumers.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
fcwilt is offline  
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post
I've had Squeezebox Duet with two receivers for the past 5 years and was mostly happy, until the receiver in my bedroom died. I cannot find a used replacement receiver anywhere. There's a few Duets with remotes on eBay, and if I can get one for $150 that might be okay. However, if something else fails it'll be a waste of money if I eventually have to give up on the system and migrate to Sonos.
Vidabox sells the OpenSqueeze Solo.
http://www.vidabox.com/opensqueeze-r...o-players.html
WayneDB123 is offline  
Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Member
 
krisbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just built a squeezebox setup - it is great. Bought a raspberry pi for $35, a dac for $50 (not necessary, but what I chose - there is already hdmi or analog out), and squeezeplayer for my ipad for $5 (not necessary, you can use a plain webbrowser to control the raspberry). Flashed picoreplayer on the SD card (already set up, instructions are easy). Installed Logitech Media Server, pointed it at a directory, and the house is now set up with a great system. My Roku's also have the MainSqueeze channel (free) which can play the music, and there was a free java player available to play on any computer... Plus the Squeezeplayer can also act as a player.


While it isn't out of the box anymore, it really wasn't much more than installing the software (which you have to do regardless of system) and flashing an SD card. I do believe there are some enterprising people out there that will do this for you for a fee if it is a hassle.


It's been pretty neat - too bad Logitech wanted out of the system and pulled the plug - but I am also glad they still run the servers and have it open source.
krisbee is offline  
Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Member
 
MOTILAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I use this company's products for almost EVERY Home Automation project I do: http://www.fusionrd.com/

Squeezebox engine. Easily controllable, from anything, anywhere. Great Support, great quality.
MOTILAC is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off