Custom rack sizes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys

I am from the UK and to find a custom made open frame rack is proving harder than I first thought so I may have to purchase from the USA and ship it to me.

Do you guys have any companies out there that can create a 4 post unit with a size no greater than 140cm (H) 50cm (D) whilst having 24u of rack space?

Or an alternative is to cut one down to size.

Would anyone recommend the 2nd as an option?

ThankYou

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 377
The Middle Atlantic SLIM5 series is a 4-post flat pack rack which may work for you.

Being American, I'll stick with inches and do some conversions...

140cm = 55" (just over actually)
50cm = 19.685"
24RU is a rack that is only 42" tall.

So, you have some space between 42" and 55" which gives some flexibility in the racking height, and generally having more rack space is a good thing (ventilation between components).

That hard part is that 50cm depth. The Flim 5-29 is a 54.5" tall rack (overall height) with 29RU of space. It can handle up to 400 pounds of equipment and has a depth of 20". If your number is dead on, that's .315", or about 1cm to deep. Is that 50cm a fixed number that is very solid? I ask because the Middle Atlantic Slim 5-29 is one of the least expensive options out there.

The SAX-xx series from Middle Atlantic will do is out of the box and is 16" deep on the frame. For height, you can order it from 15 to 43RU as you wish. I believe it is 19.25" wide and sits on roller bearings (low profile). I think you can order it without certain items as well. You likely can contact Middle Atlantic via email and get a part number which doesn't include any extras you don't need as the SAX series without the extra stuff seems to be ideal for you.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsm.htm
http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/knock/slim5.htm

All of this depends on what your exact needs and expectations and desires are for the rack. If you can build a frame yourself, you could just put rackrail into it and be done with it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information

I would look into a frame myself but I don't know where to being. Is there a place where I would get a frame with the holes for equipment pre cut?

My measurements are the lowest so I could possibly fit 55 wide and 150 high

I will check out the links

Thanks

post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
As AV_Integrated said, the minimum you need are the rack rails - the vertical posts that support the components and/or shelves. You can buy the rack rails, and install them in a wood cabinet. Or better yet, buy them, mount a couple shelves in them, and then build a cabinet around them.

You can use 2 or 4 rack rails, depending on your needs.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Great stuff thank you I will try and look further into it but so far im yet to find anything that fits my needs. I was thinking if I bought a rack just slightly high than I wanted I would be able to cut it down perhaps as its going into a void anyway?

post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I've read of many people cutting down racks, but have never done it.

I've never heard of a rack failing during a warranty period. Some arrive dented or scratched, but no failures.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by YitEarp View Post

Great stuff thank you I will try and look further into it but so far im yet to find anything that fits my needs. I was thinking if I bought a rack just slightly high than I wanted I would be able to cut it down perhaps as its going into a void anyway?
Please understand, Middle Atlantic builds racks that almost always are going into voids. That's what they do.

They provide full specifications for width, height, depth, etc. on their website. Rack rail is very standardized, and the racks Middle Atlantic builds are extremely precise. So, your opening matters, and you just order what fits. It's really not that difficult.

But, if you can build out the opening to a specification, that may work well, but how will you get to the back of the equipment to service it? To install wires? Does it need to be on a caster base? I will look at my Slim 5 racks, but I think they can be cut down to a very specific height if you want, and I know that they accept a caster base to roll in/out of a space if need be.

The biggest issue I see in all of this is the depth.

The WIDTH is standard. A Slim 5 rack is 19 1/4" wide. If you don't have that width, nothing will work because that's the standard.

But your depth - your depth matters. How much depth, front to back, do you have? 55cm will work with the Slim 5 rack, but few others. 20" is about 51cm. 55cm is 21.6" deep. That's enough for a Slim 5... ANY STANDARD SLIM 5! rack to work just fine. They also have a 26" deep Slim 5 rack which won't work for you.

Get the tallest one which fits, but make sure to include casters, etc.

You can call or email Middle Atlantic to find out if there are any issues with cutting a Slim 5 rack down to an exact size that you may need to yourself.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page