Ideas of where to terminate cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys

Im envious of you folks in the states as you seem to have it nailed when it comes to dedicated wiring "structured" I believe you call it.

Out here in the UK everything is an afterthought. If it will run into a wall so be it, there is no forethought for future upgrades be it electrical cable or Ethernet etc.

I am currently planning a major overhaul of our house, I have already started cat6 cabling for the meantime so I can enjoy fast internet across the house.

All our cables inc electric etc run into a cupboard under the stairs. I plan to install some kind of structured wiring scheme for now and the future.

My plan is to install all electrical cables in conduit which will make it so much easier to replace or upgrade in the future. at the moment I have not done so with the cat6 but as I've said its just a "make do" situation until we get the funds needed to start the project.

I have a few questions

Where can I find ideas on structured cabling for electrical feeds? I have seen neat installs that run into a box mounted into the wall and onto the circuit board. Any tips on this?

How would I route the cables through the floors/joists? Would it be good to install conduit/tube to run the electrical cable in so it will be easy in the future? At present they snake through holes drilled though joist and pieces hacked out.

Would this be a good way to run the cat6 also? I will upload pictures of what I have currently.

Also copper pipes for heating. This is the worst area as the people who installed it in the past hacked every floorboard and didn't bother about cutting at joist centres. So im left with board that bend and lift up when walked on.

This I plan to fix with new boards but is there a better way to run copper pipe? I have seen it run behind skirting boards before.

Sorry if this isn't in the correct section but I imagine some of you people out there will be either in the trade or have seen contractors and the ways in which they install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-21-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Register at cocoontech forums, and download these articles, Wiring your new house 101-103.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/64-wiring-your-new-house-101/

The conduit you install should be empty - it's for future cables, not current.

Keep the install neat, in the cupboard under the stairs. You may want to turn that into a bedroom someday, for a visiting wizard cousin.
AV_Integrated likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page