HDMI over CAT6 or Matrix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just met with my AV guy and have a couple of questions for you guys. Let me first tell you my scenario.  I have 5 TV's in my house that may need to watch different channels at the same time.  My AV guy ran coax and 2 CAT6 to each TV and then back to an AV closet where all of my receivers and DVD player will sit.  He says if it was him he would install a HDMI matrix so that I can reduce the number of receivers and it will give me a lot of other features for future.  He says  it will cost 2-3k to add HDMI transmitters to the cat6 so that it works properly.  I was shocked it would cost that much just to convert the cat6. Can you please provide any feedback on what you guys would recommend in this situation.

The matrix he wants to install is a Gefen HDFST-848-8elr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Welcome to the world of pro AV distribution. I'm just getting into it myself, I have an identical setup in the new construction house I just moved into. You could go cheap with simple HDMI over Ethernet adapter but management would be a mess. Your AV guy talks like my AV guy. He is suggesting HDBaseT hardware which is great but not exactly cheap. Looking at the Gefen, notice the HDMI outputs which are really redundant if you only want to push video over HDBaseT Ethernet. I'm going to start with a 4x4 unit and maybe expand down the road.

Ask him to find you an 8x8 matrix switch with only HDBaseT ports, like this 4x4 Monoprice unit: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091403
post #3 of 8 Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM

2-3k only? That gefen unit is more like 6-8k.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfm View Post

2-3k only? That gefen unit is more like 6-8k.

2-3k for HDMI transmitters or 5-6k for gefen matrix

post #5 of 8 Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post

Welcome to the world of pro AV distribution. I'm just getting into it myself, I have an identical setup in the new construction house I just moved into. You could go cheap with simple HDMI over Ethernet adapter but management would be a mess. Your AV guy talks like my AV guy. He is suggesting HDBaseT hardware which is great but not exactly cheap. Looking at the Gefen, notice the HDMI outputs which are really redundant if you only want to push video over HDBaseT Ethernet. I'm going to start with a 4x4 unit and maybe expand down the road.

Ask him to find you an 8x8 matrix switch with only HDBaseT ports, like this 4x4 Monoprice unit: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091403

I will ask him about this.  I definitely like the price better.  In my old house I was able to run rapid run hdmi cables from each tv to my AV cabinet and had great picture definition.  The cables were expensive but nowhere close to what it looks like it costs to convert cat6 to HDMI.  Is one of these HDBaseT port matrix the best/cost effective way to go?  Are  you using hte monoprice?  Thanks

post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree with you, the AV contractor talked me out of running HDMI which I partially regret. I had also done plenty of HDMI runs up to 50FT without issue and there are a couple of locations that could have been one offs but will now require the receiver. However if you want to distribute video like you said, I haven't found a better cost effective option. You can go HDMI Matrix switches but those are massive headaches.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
These days with the networked / "whole house DVR" functionality many video providers are building into their set-top boxes, you may not need a matrix at all...

Centralizing the gear and running simple HDMI extenders still allows the gear to be tucked away out of sight. But go back to your usage and see what source(s) you really need to truly distribute. The rental cost of a few more set-top boxes to cover all your displays will take years and years to add up to the (current) cost of a good HDMI matrix. And there's an ease-of-use difference, too.

But yes, everyone should pre-wire to allow for a matrix / distributed video - whether you actually need to deploy one, though is something to take a hard look at.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM

To the OP, it sounds like you have some similar use cases to me. I did run hdmi to most of my rooms and I currently matrix switch with the monoprice 4x4. I need more outputs and I am considering the shinybow options. Like you, I thought the prices on the Atlona and optoma gear was just too much.

I send 3 directv boxes and my ps 4 out to any of 5 current location. I split one of the matrix outs to 2 TVs. I also have 5.1 receivers in 3 of my locations.

This works for my particular use cases. Sometimes the matrix switching can be slow but functions as desired.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page