Dedicated Ceiling Speakers For TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am building a new house and am going to wire it for a 6 zone WHA system, but I will have casual TV viewing area that I would like to use some dedicated ceiling speakers that aren't connected to the WHA system. I am only looking for stereo sound, not 5.1 or above.

The plan is to connect the speakers to a volume knob which is home run back to the A/V rack in the basement. I need some help choosing a dedicated amplifier to drive these speakers. Because of the length of the run (about 50'), I want to run a digital signal back to the amp instead of line level and want the amp to be triggered on when it receives a signal and auto power off once the TV is turned off.

So, does an amp like this exist? Am I over complicating it by wanting to use digital instead of line level? I know I COULD make this a zone on the WHA system and make the TV an input into the system, but all 6 zones are already spoken for and I want to avoid bumping up to the 12 zone system (plan on using the HTD mid level).

Looking forward to your guys' advice!

-Mario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppermario View Post

I am building a new house and am going to wire it for a 6 zone WHA system, but I will have casual TV viewing area that I would like to use some dedicated ceiling speakers that aren't connected to the WHA system. I am only looking for stereo sound, not 5.1 or above.

So are these speakers for TV audio? If so, you should reconsider in-ceiling speakers, and go with in-walls around the TV if you want them out of sight. You want to avoid having dialog come from several feet away from the TV image.
Quote:
The plan is to connect the speakers to a volume knob which is home run back to the A/V rack in the basement. I need some help choosing a dedicated amplifier to drive these speakers. Because of the length of the run (about 50'), I want to run a digital signal back to the amp instead of line level and want the amp to be triggered on when it receives a signal and auto power off once the TV is turned off.

Answer again will depend on what the source(s) are. But assuming this is for TV audio, and you want all the gear located in your AV rack - use an AVR. You'll want a remote control solution, either RF or use a cat5 cable for a wired IR system. If the TV itself is the source (built-in app), either use an RG6 cable to carry the digital audio output (may need an optical-to-coax converter) back to the rack, or just don't use the TV's apps in favor of a inexpensive streamer (Roku / AppleTV).

In addition, I'd run this as a 5.1 system, and install the Speakercraft or Russound automatic speaker switch to allow the surround channels to do double duty as a WHA zone in the future...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

So are these speakers for TV audio? If so, you should reconsider in-ceiling speakers, and go with in-walls around the TV if you want them out of sight. You want to avoid having dialog come from several feet away from the TV image.

I could probably go in walls, I really didn't give speaker placement much thought yet, still working out the overall architecture and zoning.

Quote:

Answer again will depend on what the source(s) are. But assuming this is for TV audio, and you want all the gear located in your AV rack - use an AVR. You'll want a remote control solution, either RF or use a cat5 cable for a wired IR system. If the TV itself is the source (built-in app), either use an RG6 cable to carry the digital audio output (may need an optical-to-coax converter) back to the rack, or just don't use the TV's apps in favor of a inexpensive streamer (Roku / AppleTV).

Source will be the TV only, it has a coax digital out that I was planning on using. Not wanting to use an AVR really was the point of this question, I just want a system in this area that is as simple as turn on the TV using it's remote and not complicate it with IR extenders or any other remote control solutions, thus the desire to have an amp that triggers on/off based on input.

-Mario
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could probably go in walls, I really didn't give speaker placement much thought yet, still working out the overall architecture and zoning.

A "speaker bar" wall mounted under the TV is another option. I did that in my bedroom as I didn't want to lock myself into an in-wall pattern.
Quote:
Source will be the TV only, it has a coax digital out that I was planning on using. Not wanting to use an AVR really was the point of this question, I just want a system in this area that is as simple as turn on the TV using it's remote and not complicate it with IR extenders or any other remote control solutions, thus the desire to have an amp that triggers on/off based on input.

So "simple" that the only way to control volume from the TV involves getting up and adjusting the wall control?

Re-think that. IR repeating is simple, AVR allows for 2, 3, or 5-channel, and a sub. And will be about the same price as a zone-amp with a trigger plus the external DAC to convert both DD and PCM to stereo audio to feed it.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Unless there's some product to go from digital coax to speakers directly, you need some sort of processing equipment.. Be that an AVR or Soundbar or whatever. And you could make it pretty darn seamless
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Unless there's some product to go from digital coax to speakers directly, you need some sort of processing equipment.. Be that an AVR or Soundbar or whatever. And you could make it pretty darn seamless

I am well aware of that you need something in the middle, that is the point of this thread, I am looking for an amp that has a specific set of features....

Sounds like it doesn't exist?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So "simple" that the only way to control volume from the TV involves getting up and adjusting the wall control?

Re-think that. IR repeating is simple, AVR allows for 2, 3, or 5-channel, and a sub. And will be about the same price as a zone-amp with a trigger plus the external DAC to convert both DD and PCM to stereo audio to feed it.

I appreciate what your are saying and if I were the only one using the system, I would not have a problem with putting in a repeater system and using a multi-function remote to control it all. Again, I am well aware of the options out there and was hoping to go the direction I outlined above based on several factors that really aren't relevant for this discussion, I simply want to know if anyone is aware of a amplifier like I described above?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

-Mario
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate what your are saying and if I were the only one using the system, I would not have a problem with putting in a repeater system and using a multi-function remote to control it all. Again, I am well aware of the options out there and was hoping to go the direction I outlined above based on several factors that really aren't relevant for this discussion, I simply want to know if anyone is aware of a amplifier like I described above?

There isn't. And you'd still have the volume control issue, which, IMO, is worse than any other usability concerns.

A powered soundbar is probably your best option, but you may still have remote control issues to contend with.