Can I setup multiple zones with a single zone (Denon AVR-1613) receiver and a speaker selector switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to setup multiple zones with a single zone (Denon AVR-1613) receiver and a speaker selector switch (like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?pg_no2=2&c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=8230&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback)? One of the zones would be surround sound (5.1) for our family room. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11

Kinda.

First the answer is yes, but to do the 5.1 and let the ceiling speakers in that room become the rears you will need a volume pot with a source selector at the wall. This will allow you to change the "source" house audio off and use the second "source' surround left and right instead. This however can create another problem. If that volume pot with source selection at the wall also has an impedance matching circuit built into it, it could be redundant to the one at the selector... so you'll have to think it through and test it. best to find a volume pot that does not have impedance matching built in and use the selectors..but to find one with source selection without the impedance circuit might be tricky... I don't know of one.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Let me see if I have this straight in my mind.....I would connect the two front speakers, center speaker and sub as normal to the receiver. Then I would connect the speaker selector to the receiver on the two "rear speaker" posts, correct? What is a volume pot?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
It would be much easier to use the Front L/R channels as the input to your speaker selector, since then you can select "Stereo Mode" on the AVR and everything will work correctly in the other rooms. The issue with simple speaker selectors when tied to main rooms (instead of a Zone2 output) is that the volume level can't be adjusted individually - so some rooms may be too loud and others not loud enough.

If you haven't already purchased that AVR, you should consider moving up the line a bit to get one with a Zone2 output, which would allow independent control/sources in the other rooms (different than the family room).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. Unfortunately I already have the receiver. Is there a way to wire a volume control between the switch and the speakers for each zone?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post

Thanks Jeff. Unfortunately I already have the receiver. Is there a way to wire a volume control between the switch and the speakers for each zone?

Yes, you can either wire a wall-mounted volume control in each room, or use speaker selector with volume control (per zone knobs). Both have the pluses/minuses...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

So this would be the best way to utilize my single zone receiver? Would I be able to run the 5.1 alone sometimes, and then the 5.1 plus another zone (ideally I'd like to be able to run the 5.1 in the family room and speakers in the kitchen for music at the same time) at other times?
post #8 of 12 Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032 View Post

So this would be the best way to utilize my single zone receiver? Would I be able to run the 5.1 alone sometimes, and then the 5.1 plus another zone (ideally I'd like to be able to run the 5.1 in the family room and speakers in the kitchen for music at the same time) at other times?

Yes, just realize that the only setting(s) that will make sense on your AVR when used in multiple rooms will be "stereo" or "all channels stereo". Using any of the other 5.1 settings will likely remove vocals from the other rooms - because they will get mapped to the center channel only...

Also, when attaching multiple pairs there will be a decrease in volume - so you may find having the other 3 speakers on at the same time as other rooms will produce an unbalanced sound in the 5.1 room.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bumping this old thread since I have the exact problem. I want to run 2 outdoor speakers thorough my denon 1613. I purchased the monoprice 4 channel switch without research like a moron.

My current room has 2 fronts and 3 built in ceiling surrounds.

Can someone explain what I need to do in kindergarten language? Thanks!
post #10 of 12 Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkabab View Post
Bumping this old thread since I have the exact problem. I want to run 2 outdoor speakers thorough my denon 1613. I purchased the monoprice 4 channel switch without research like a moron.
Morons tend to buy much more expensive equipment than that...

Simply connect the Left/Right speaker outputs from the Denon to the input of the speaker selector. Then attach your L/R speakers to one output of the selector, and the outdoor speakers to another output.

Jeff

post #11 of 12 Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Morons tend to buy much more expensive equipment than that...

Simply connect the Left/Right speaker outputs from the Denon to the input of the speaker selector. Then attach your L/R speakers to one output of the selector, and the outdoor speakers to another output.

Jeff
Just so I know I got it right. I connect BOTH the front right AND left speakers to the input of the speaker selector correct? Will this still allow me to turn only the outdoor speakers on? Or would both inside and outdoor have to be one? I need to be able to turn off the outdoor speakers while watching tv late at night etc
post #12 of 12 Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkabab View Post
Just so I know I got it right. I connect BOTH the front right AND left speakers to the input of the speaker selector correct?
No. Connect the Denon's Left/Right speaker outputs to the INPUT of the selector. Then connect the speaker pair(s) to the OUTPUT of the selector.

Quote:
Will this still allow me to turn only the outdoor speakers on? Or would both inside and outdoor have to be one? I need to be able to turn off the outdoor speakers while watching tv late at night etc
That is what the speaker selector is for - how did you conclude that you needed that box if you didn't understand that was its purpose?

Anyway, the Monoprice manual doesn't have a diagram, but here's one to explain it simply. Ignore the red text note - you can have multiple pairs on at the same time, as the Monoprice (and most) speaker selector has impedance-matching "protection".

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Denon Avr 1613 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page