Audio client in kitchen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello All, I know there must be a lot of threads similar to what I'm asking about, but maybe someone can give me suggestions for my particular case, or suggest keywords for me to search with. My current searches are giving me tons of hits but I haven't seen much that directly related to my issue.

I'm looking for an audio client that I can use in my kitchen. I've wired some ceiling speakers and I have both wifi and cat5e gigabit available.  Music is held on my NAS with dlna, upnp and file shares. One option is the Sonos Connect Amp.  Perhaps another option would be to get a tablet and connect my speaker wire to a 1/8" stereo plug (I have 4 speakers ready to go though, not sure how I would connect a table to 4 speakers).  I've also thought about getting a touchscreen pc for this, but it would be sort of pricey.

Are there any other options? I think there are several different audio clients that can connect to my music, but I'd need a tv/monitor in order to control the client.  With Sonos, we can use our phones as remotes.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where are your speakers wired to?  Just a panel location in the kitchen or another location (central or home run?)

post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
For a kitchen, the self-contained Sonos:Play unit would be a good choice, controlled by a phone. But a radio-style unit with a display and remote might be easier to use - look at the Grace Digital Mondo. And it can be controlled by an app, too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have some space on a shelf/cabinet where I have power, ethernet, and my speaker cable. I guess you could say it is both a panel in the kitchen and a home run. The router will be there too, and my Nas has a homerun to the kitchen location.

Would the grace require a separate amp?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwsmith View Post

Would the grace require a separate amp?

No, like the Sonos:Play units, it's a self-contained system. The "Encore" is a larger, stereo version of the Mondo. I just bought one of those myself to replace a failed Roku R1000 clock/radio...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to power some ceiling speakers though. I'd need to track down a suitable amp for this purpose.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwsmith View Post

I would like to power some ceiling speakers though. I'd need to track down a suitable amp for this purpose.

Then the Sonos Connect:Amp or NuVo P100/P200 (or Russound's new streamer) would be a better choice...

Theater build photos:

post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Which model is the new streamer from Russound? I've never looked at their products before and I'm stil a bit confused on what eeverything is.

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=3321

Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page