Home Theater Setup - Possible Speaker Selector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have a 7.1 channel Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver, which has two zones, and I have an ideal layout I am hoping to accomplish but would appreciate some assistance. For the living room I am planning to put in a 5.1 system on Zone 1. In the formal sitting area I am looking to have a two speaker setup that in most cases I would utilize for music throughout the whole home, so the same music that is on the 5.1. I may also want to watch TV on the 5.1 in the living room and put music in the formal sitting area for the wife. Is it possible to have both features, utilizing zone 1 and 2 for different sources but also utilize it more like a 7.1 setup for music throughout the home? I also want to put two speakers outside at the pool as well as two in the garage with similar possibilities? Is this all possible with my setup? I am assuming I would need a speaker selector, is there one that can be recommended, is impedance matching/protection important?

Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfan_adam View Post

Is it possible to have both features, utilizing zone 1 and 2 for different sources but also utilize it more like a 7.1 setup for music throughout the home?

Yes, that's what "multizone" means - independent choice of source(s) and volume levels for each zone. Don't think of it as "7.1 throughout the house", but rather a 5.1 + 2 setup. Zone2 gets a stereo signal, and typically requires an analog stereo input on the AVR for each source.
Quote:
I also want to put two speakers outside at the pool as well as two in the garage with similar possibilities? Is this all possible with my setup? I am assuming I would need a speaker selector, is there one that can be recommended, is impedance matching/protection important?

Yes to all of those.

Jeff
esfan_adam likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, that's what "multizone" means - independent choice of source(s) and volume levels for each zone. Don't think of it as "7.1 throughout the house", but rather a 5.1 + 2 setup. Zone2 gets a stereo signal, and typically requires an analog stereo input on the AVR for each source.
Yes to all of those.

Jeff

So is it possible in a multizone setup to have the same audio play in zone 1 & 2, hence the same source, music in my case? (total of 7 speakers in my case)

Then is it also possible to have one source on zone 1 & 2 play across all 11 speakers (5 living room, 2 formal living, 2 pool, 2 garage) at the same time? I'm assuming if this was possible it would be done through a switcher?

Thanks Again
post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So is it possible in a multizone setup to have the same audio play in zone 1 & 2, hence the same source, music in my case? (total of 7 speakers in my case)

Yes. Listen to the same source, or different sources in each zone. That's the definition of a "multizone" system.
Quote:
Then is it also possible to have one source on zone 1 & 2 play across all 11 speakers (5 living room, 2 formal living, 2 pool, 2 garage) at the same time? I'm assuming if this was possible it would be done through a switcher?

Again, yes. Speaker selector needed in that case for impedance-matching at a minimum. You might want one with individual volume controls so you can adjust the various rooms relative to each other (since the AVR will have only one "master" volume for everything connected to Zone2).
esfan_adam likes this.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. Listen to the same source, or different sources in each zone. That's the definition of a "multizone" system.
Again, yes. Speaker selector needed in that case for impedance-matching at a minimum. You might want one with individual volume controls so you can adjust the various rooms relative to each other (since the AVR will have only one "master" volume for everything connected to Zone2).

Thanks for all of the assistance. Do you have a speaker selector you could recommend?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all of the assistance. Do you have a speaker selector you could recommend?

Niles SSVC-4, Aton DLA4, or (the cheap option) Monoprice MSV-4
esfan_adam likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Niles SSVC-4, Aton DLA4, or (the cheap option) Monoprice MSV-4

Quite a price difference between the units. It doesn't appear any of the units offer impedance matching/protection, is that correct and is it important? With the wide difference in prices, what are the main advantages between units, looks like the Aton might be remote controllable. Do any of them work with banana plugs? Thanks again!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quite a price difference between the units. It doesn't appear any of the units offer impedance matching/protection, is that correct and is it important?

All three of those do, and yes, it 's absolutely necessary when connecting more than two pairs of speakers to a single amp.
Quote:
With the wide difference in prices, what are the main advantages between units, looks like the Aton might be remote controllable.

Yes, the Aton has many remote control options, which is why I mentioned it. All depends on what you want to do and how much convenience you're willing to pay for... Without remote controls or in-room volume/keypad controls, you'll have to go to the selector each time you want to use the system differently than you did the last time you used it...
Quote:
Do any of them work with banana plugs?

No, and none of them will. They take up too much space on a box like these...
esfan_adam likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I really like the idea of being able to control volume and speaker selection through the remote, although at $355 for the ATON on amazon, it makes me wonder if I should just buy a new receiver with 3 or 4 zones built in? What would your suggestion be?

I currently have a harmony one, but I would like to be able to control the zones and speaker selection from my android phone, is there a way to do this? Or I suppose the remote control volume wouldn't be all that helpful.

Thanks Again!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really like the idea of being able to control volume and speaker selection through the remote, although at $355 for the ATON on amazon, it makes me wonder if I should just buy a new receiver with 3 or 4 zones built in? What would your suggestion be?

There isn't one. Once you cross >3 zones, you're into a "whole house audio" system.
Quote:
I currently have a harmony one, but I would like to be able to control the zones and speaker selection from my android phone, is there a way to do this? Or I suppose the remote control volume wouldn't be all that helpful.

Yes, with a whole house audio system... There are some convoluted ways to control selectors through apps (iRule), but the required pieces, products, and programming required to do that all scream: "don't go that route".

For an entry WHA system with an app to select sources and control volume, look at HTD.com.

\Jeff
esfan_adam likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There isn't one. Once you cross >3 zones, you're into a "whole house audio" system.
Yes, with a whole house audio system... There are some convoluted ways to control selectors through apps (iRule), but the required pieces, products, and programming required to do that all scream: "don't go that route".

For an entry WHA system with an app to select sources and control volume, look at HTD.com.

\Jeff

I bit on the ATON DLA4 at your recommendation, found it for $300 at Ratuken. My harmony one should be able to control everything now, including the ATON DLA4 which should be great, as well as be able to turn on and off speakers sets and have the impendence adjusted automatically. The only issue I have now is how to incorporate this into using my phone as a remote when I am out by the pool or in a different room. Would the Logitech harmony ultimate hub allow me to do this while still being able to utilize my harmony one at times?

Thanks for all the advice. Now that I have a speaker switcher that is worth over half the price of my Pioneer VSX-1120-K, I think it may be time for a new AV receiver. Any more advice you would be willing to share?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bit on the ATON DLA4 at your recommendation, found it for $300 at Ratuken. My harmony one should be able to control everything now, including the ATON DLA4 which should be great, as well as be able to turn on and off speakers sets and have the impendence adjusted automatically.

Hold on - the DLA doesn't have a front panel IR receiver (unless I'm really off - there's no mention of it anywhere). In order to control the unit with IR, you need an external receiver - that function is intended for use in the rooms being controlled, not from "in front of" the unit. There are IR codes to make that work, but you'll still need an IR receiver to do that.
Quote:
The only issue I have now is how to incorporate this into using my phone as a remote when I am out by the pool or in a different room. Would the Logitech harmony ultimate hub allow me to do this while still being able to utilize my harmony one at times?

The hub may be a great way to solve all of that, as then you've got your IR receiver that you can wire into the DLA back panel.
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. Now that I have a speaker switcher that is worth over half the price of my Pioneer VSX-1120-K, I think it may be time for a new AV receiver.

Those are different beasts and one doesn't have much to do with the other...
esfan_adam likes this.

Theater build photos:

post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hold on - the DLA doesn't have a front panel IR receiver (unless I'm really off - there's no mention of it anywhere). In order to control the unit with IR, you need an external receiver - that function is intended for use in the rooms being controlled, not from "in front of" the unit. There are IR codes to make that work, but you'll still need an IR receiver to do that.
The hub may be a great way to solve all of that, as then you've got your IR receiver that you can wire into the DLA back panel.
Those are different beasts and one doesn't have much to do with the other...

Yes, I spoke with Aton technical services prior to purchasing it and was informed that. I was just planning on buying a simple IR receiver off of amazon to it could receive IR codes. Does the Harmony hub work in the same fashion? I considered the Harmony Ultimate but is seemed to have poor reviews, do you agree?

I was just saying with such a nice speaker switcher, maybe it is time to upgrade my AV receiver. What would you recommend for >$2000?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page