Starting a new basement build - help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought a new house and will be starting basement construction shortly. Will be building a home theatre/family area and a bar with a tv since you wont be able to see the big screen from the bar.

At my old place I had a projector setup with DIY 110" screen. Pretty straight forward setup, all my home theatre components hooked up to my receiver and a single HDMI to the projector. Now with the 2nd tv, I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook up my bar tv.

I am considering buying a new receiver with a 2nd HDMI out, but what I'm reading is that it will only show the same feed as my projector. It looks like I would be into an HDMI matrix switch. I understand the basic way it works, but can someone explain to me how all my components would work in relation to the receiver? Do the components all go to the switch first, and then a single HDMI to my receiver? This would no longer allow me to choose individual components on my receiver, correct?

Sorry, I know it's a very beginner type question, but all the nfo I seem to find on switches has the switch box hooked directly up to TVs, without any receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
There are newer AVRs that actually incorporate an HDMI matrix switch (as opposed to the duplicate HDMI output). Just note that there can be audio limitations in any of these matrix setups. The built-in matrix probably handles this better than other solutions for your use case, though. If you're watching a movie in 5.1/7.1 - if you turn the bar TV to the same source, you won't get any audio in the bar. This is better than how an external matrix would handle the same situation...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 269
You will note that this is only on the higher end A/V receivers, but it does work well. It can be identified by looking at the back of the receiver and you will see HDMI outputs which are specifically labeled for both 'ZONE 1' and another one labeled 'ZONE 2'.

For example the Denon X3000 receiver has two zones of HDMI output. The main zone is listed as 'MONITOR' and the second zone is listed as 'ZONE 2'.

Some receivers have dual HDMI outputs which are mirrored. This would be if you do want the same source playing in both locations. For example, a flat panel with a projector screen that drops down in front of it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page