Confused about pre-wired ethernet house, help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By ctviggen
  • 2 Post By EWF
  • 1 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 13 Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I'm about to close on a new house and apparently we are pre-wired for ethernet with "data" ports in each room. However, I don't know where I plug in a gigabit switch to give the whole network life? I see several ethernet wires going into a Legrand Telephone Module (TM1045), am I supposed to disconnect those and plug them all in to a separate switch? I also see some dangling ethernet wires off to the right, maybe it's one of those?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Yes, assuming there are RJ45 jacks installed in the rooms, you can simply unplug the ones you need and install a switch here. You do have a 110V power outlet that needs to be installed there, too.
varunm likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 13 Old 04-13-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Usually what they do is terminate each network cable in a "punch down" block (meaning that each wire gets "punched down" into the block), and then there are rj45 female connectors, from where you run a patch cable into your switch. Here, they've terminated each network cable, so you can run each one into a switch. I like the punch down block a little better, as then the cables never get moved (and you don't have to worry about the quality of the connectors), but this seems OK too.
varunm likes this.

Bob
post #4 of 13 Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 PM
EWF

Liked: 12
I recently purchased a new house and was faced with the same situation as you. If your wiring is like mine, those data cables can be used for data or phone depending on what it's plugged into. Currently it looks like it's wired for phone use. Hopefully the wires are clearly labeled. Install your switch into the structured wiring cabinet. If you're like me and do not have a network cable tester, unplug one of the cables from the Legrand Telephone module and plug it into the switch. Go to the room that corresponds to that cable and plug a computer with a network connection indicator light into the jack. If it lights up, you'll know you have a data connection. After that it's just a matter of getting your internet service installed and connecting your switch to its modem.
taskman and varunm like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM

So am I reading this correctly in that this "hub" will not transmit data? Only phone? I have the same box in my basement and currently have the ethernet cord from the modem hooked in to the "service in" spot. All of the wires coming out are sent to ethernet jacks in all of the rooms in my house but none of them are live. I have connected an ethernet cord straight in to the box and then in to a laptop but I don't get a signal.

Any help is appreciated.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4zyt0m View Post

So am I reading this correctly in that this "hub" will not transmit data? Only phone?

Correct. Phone jacks are added by simply splicing the wires together. Ethernet links are between exactly two devices - to "fan out" to multiple devices you must use an Ethernet switch to provide more connections.
Quote:
I have the same box in my basement and currently have the ethernet cord from the modem hooked in to the "service in" spot. All of the wires coming out are sent to ethernet jacks in all of the rooms in my house but none of them are live. I have connected an ethernet cord straight in to the box and then in to a laptop but I don't get a signal.

That will do nothing, and if your phone line is still connected you could damage your devices.

Get an inexpensive switch, move the RJ45 plugs from the phone block to the switch ports, with one of them leading to your router, and you'll be good to go.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone for the replies, it actually turned out to be much easier than expected. The cords hanging on the right simply lead to the separate rooms, and I just needed to connect a switch there!

And yes, they forgot to add a power outlet which they subsequently added.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have the same setup as the OP and thankfully found this thread that cleared up a lot of my questions. As you can see from my setup picture(sorry for bad angle), I have three rooms getting TV(white coax) and three rooms getting cat5(the ones plugged into the telephone module). The are also two coax(one black and one white hanging loose in image) and two cat5 service feeds(not visible in image) that run from this box to the outside of the house. My modem and router are separate so my current setup is the modem is in the basement and I disconnected one of the three cat5 cables and plugged it into the modem. The other end of this cable is in the study where I have it connected to a router. This gives me good wi-fi throughout the house, however, the cat5 in the other two rooms are obviously not live.

In order to get all three cat5 rooms live, I would have to place the router in the basement then plug those three cables into the router. In this scenario, the wi-fi is not as strong since the router is in the basement. Am I understanding correctly that I can get a switch and hook it up to the modem in the basement and connect the three outgoing cat5s to the switch. Then on the other end all the three cat5s will be live and I can connect one of them to the router?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160427_175729.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1431466  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
Am I understanding correctly that I can get a switch and hook it up to the modem in the basement and connect the three outgoing cat5s to the switch. Then on the other end all the three cat5s will be live and I can connect one of them to the router?
No. The chain is modem->router->switch->ports. Your home network is "behind" the router, which is why you must connect all devices to the router's LAN ports, and can expand the number of ports by adding Ethernet switches.

If you have a room where you can place the modem and the router, you can use the router's LAN ports to connect to stuff in that room, and then connect the room's cat5e run (back to the wiring enclosure) to a switch placed in the enclosure. Then connect any other room to the switch.

So the chain goes: (coax from enclosure)->room with modem->modem->(Ethernet)->router WAN port->(router LAN ports)->(cat5 to enclosure)->switch->Ethernet to other rooms
shobuddy likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
No. The chain is modem->router->switch->ports. Your home network is "behind" the router, which is why you must connect all devices to the router's LAN ports, and can expand the number of ports by adding Ethernet switches.

If you have a room where you can place the modem and the router, you can use the router's LAN ports to connect to stuff in that room, and then connect the room's cat5e run (back to the wiring enclosure) to a switch placed in the enclosure. Then connect any other room to the switch.

So the chain goes: (coax from enclosure)->room with modem->modem->(Ethernet)->router WAN port->(router LAN ports)->(cat5 to enclosure)->switch->Ethernet to other rooms
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I have a grasp on things now
Wish I had put a coax in the study But I have a coax in the family room so that might work.
On a side note, the installer told me that FIOS now needs a coax AND Ethernet feeder line for speeds over 75mbps. Have you heard anything about this?

Edit:
For testing purposes, I moved the router to the basement to test and see if wifi signal would still be good on the second floor and the signal was great! Got all three Ethernet ports live and good wifi throughout.

Last edited by shobuddy; 05-09-2016 at 07:03 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-09-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wish I had put a coax in the study But I have a coax in the family room so that might work.
Next time, come here for pre-wire advice before building!

Quote:
On a side note, the installer told me that FIOS now needs a coax AND Ethernet feeder line for speeds over 75mbps. Have you heard anything about this?
No, and I don't believe it... Either of those cables can easily support speeds much greater than that.

Quote:
Edit:
For testing purposes, I moved the router to the basement to test and see if wifi signal would still be good on the second floor and the signal was great! Got all three Ethernet ports live and good wifi throughout.
Perfect!

For future reference, you can always add "wireless access points" at a wired Ethernet location to provide additional WiFi coverage. These devices can be very inexpensive, as many cheap routers can be placed in an "access point" mode...
shobuddy likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
For future reference, you can always add "wireless access points" at a wired Ethernet location to provide additional WiFi coverage. These devices can be very inexpensive, as many cheap routers can be placed in an "access point" mode...
WAP is an option I was looking at if things didn't work out. Does a WAP have the same SSID as your main wifi? I always wondered how a WAP and the main wifi would work together and if they would conflict with each other being as they are close to each other, in the same house. Do they degrade each others signal? And on the client side, how does the switching back and forth work as far as if signals are almost equally strong, is there constant switching between the two signals?
post #13 of 13 Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Does a WAP have the same SSID as your main wifi? I always wondered how a WAP and the main wifi would work together and if they would conflict with each other being as they are close to each other, in the same house. Do they degrade each others signal?
They can have the same or different SSIDs. You may need to manually assign a wireless channel so they don't compete for the same spectrum, but the automatic settings usually take care of this, too.

Quote:
And on the client side, how does the switching back and forth work as far as if signals are almost equally strong, is there constant switching between the two signals?
Once a device pairs to one point, it generally stays put unless the signal quality changes dramatically - but it "just works".
shobuddy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page