Confused about pre-wired ethernet house, help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I'm about to close on a new house and apparently we are pre-wired for ethernet with "data" ports in each room. However, I don't know where I plug in a gigabit switch to give the whole network life? I see several ethernet wires going into a Legrand Telephone Module (TM1045), am I supposed to disconnect those and plug them all in to a separate switch? I also see some dangling ethernet wires off to the right, maybe it's one of those?

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Yes, assuming there are RJ45 jacks installed in the rooms, you can simply unplug the ones you need and install a switch here. You do have a 110V power outlet that needs to be installed there, too.
varunm likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Usually what they do is terminate each network cable in a "punch down" block (meaning that each wire gets "punched down" into the block), and then there are rj45 female connectors, from where you run a patch cable into your switch. Here, they've terminated each network cable, so you can run each one into a switch. I like the punch down block a little better, as then the cables never get moved (and you don't have to worry about the quality of the connectors), but this seems OK too.
varunm likes this.

Bob
post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 PM
EWF

Liked: 12
I recently purchased a new house and was faced with the same situation as you. If your wiring is like mine, those data cables can be used for data or phone depending on what it's plugged into. Currently it looks like it's wired for phone use. Hopefully the wires are clearly labeled. Install your switch into the structured wiring cabinet. If you're like me and do not have a network cable tester, unplug one of the cables from the Legrand Telephone module and plug it into the switch. Go to the room that corresponds to that cable and plug a computer with a network connection indicator light into the jack. If it lights up, you'll know you have a data connection. After that it's just a matter of getting your internet service installed and connecting your switch to its modem.
taskman and varunm like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM

So am I reading this correctly in that this "hub" will not transmit data? Only phone? I have the same box in my basement and currently have the ethernet cord from the modem hooked in to the "service in" spot. All of the wires coming out are sent to ethernet jacks in all of the rooms in my house but none of them are live. I have connected an ethernet cord straight in to the box and then in to a laptop but I don't get a signal.

Any help is appreciated.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4zyt0m View Post

So am I reading this correctly in that this "hub" will not transmit data? Only phone?

Correct. Phone jacks are added by simply splicing the wires together. Ethernet links are between exactly two devices - to "fan out" to multiple devices you must use an Ethernet switch to provide more connections.
Quote:
I have the same box in my basement and currently have the ethernet cord from the modem hooked in to the "service in" spot. All of the wires coming out are sent to ethernet jacks in all of the rooms in my house but none of them are live. I have connected an ethernet cord straight in to the box and then in to a laptop but I don't get a signal.

That will do nothing, and if your phone line is still connected you could damage your devices.

Get an inexpensive switch, move the RJ45 plugs from the phone block to the switch ports, with one of them leading to your router, and you'll be good to go.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone for the replies, it actually turned out to be much easier than expected. The cords hanging on the right simply lead to the separate rooms, and I just needed to connect a switch there!

And yes, they forgot to add a power outlet which they subsequently added.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page