Best coax cable for running inside the house from the box located outside? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to run some new coax cable inside the house and wanted to know what brand and type for best results?

One will be dedicated specifically for internet and the rest television (4).

What ever the cable, can this be picked up at a local Home Depot or Lowe's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
RG6. Anything from HD / Lowe's will be fine. You don't need quad-shield under normal circumstances - and if you do buy QS, realize it needs different connectors and tools to terminate.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks,

Is QS cable a lot thicker and harder to work/snake around the house?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 View Post

Thanks,

Is QS cable a lot thicker and harder to work/snake around the house?

Somewhat, yes. But again, you don't really need it, and you'll need the correct connectors and tools, both with specific sizes for QS wire... So just get plain old RG6 and be done.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please don't buy coax from Lowe's or HD. Go to a local distributor like Graybar and buy Comm/Scope or a Times Fiber RG 6 60% braid coax. Either brand will work and most CATV companies use one of the two. Buy Gilbert or PPC connectors from the same distributor and put them on correctly. You can buy the very best coax and connector and put them on wrong and you have junk. Spend the extra money and time please.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 PM

Liked: 11

For the most part, modern tri-shield RG6 like Belden 7915A provide the same or better EMI/RFI shielding performance compared to quad-shield like Belden 7916A. Using those two specific cables as examples, the 7916A is noticeably thicker, but it actually has a tighter bend radius. If you have extremely long runs, then a precision video coax like Belden 1694A would have slightly lower attenuation at all frequencies. For typical homes and CATV/broadband usage it offers basically zero tangible benefit.

On the topic of tools and connectors: Home Depot sells Thomas & Betts's universal Snap-n-Seal connectors. One SKU fits all types of RG6 and should be compatible with most compression tools.

That's basically the #1 issue installers have with quad-shield, universal SKUs didn't always exist so they had to keep multiple connector types on hand. Quad-shield is also slightly more time consuming to prep when installing connectors since it has another layer of braid and foil. Some people leave the outermost layer of braid intact, so they have to bend all that wire back, peel away the outermost foil layer, then bend back another layer of braid. I don't find it all that bad, but I set my prep tool to just cut away the outermost layer of braid anyway.

Amazon actually has Commscope F677TSVV tri-shield in a 500ft pullbox for less than what Home Depot is charging for Southwire quad.

e: In response to the people saying not to buy from Home Depot. I don't think Southwire or Cerrowire are terrible wire brands, and not everyone wants to open a Graybar account just to get a couple decimals worth of attenuation shaved off. Times Fiber cable is also borderline impossible to find for sale. If time is a constraint, that stuff will work just fine. Belden, Commscope, Gepco, Honeywell, Times Fiber, Extron, West Penn, Liberty, Canare, Covid, etc. are all trustworthy industry names.

Skytrooper likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Belden 7915 is my favorite. Got mine from ts electronic. Got the benefits of quad without the hassles. Thomas and Betts connectors are also excellent.

To me Belden is the way to go. A well made product. It's nice to know when you're pulling in cable, your not putting in junk.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I put a bunch of junk in from Home Depot. Used the Ideal Snap-N-Seal type of universal connectors with the quad shield RG6.

All my connections and cable boxes work great.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Don't forget drip/service loops.

Keep water away from penetrations and connectors.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Belden 7915 is my favorite. Got mine from ts electronic. Got the benefits of quad without the hassles. Thomas and Betts connectors are also excellent.

To me Belden is the way to go. A well made product. It's nice to know when you're pulling in cable, your not putting in junk.

Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone else makes a tri-shield RG6 cable with a solid copper wire. There are plenty CCS tri-shield SKUs from the usual suspects, but Belden 7915A is a bit unique. For 'precision' coax similar to 1694A though there are lots of options. West Penn 6350, Gepco VSD2001, Liberty 18-CMR-SD, Canare L-5CFW, etc.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page