MCA-66 and HTDNET-MC- Review on this as WHA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I was previous looking for a WHA and planning on SONOS or Nuvo system, wife does not want wall controls, she wants to control it through our iphones or ipad.

Saw this sytem when someone recommended this site for speakers, any reviews on this system?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Why would you be looking at the keypad-based HTD systems if you don't want keypads? The Sonos and NuVo systems are built to operate without them...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

this has the phone controls with it, for that price for 6 zones is a lot cheaper than any SONOS or Nuvo

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antney79 View Post

this has the phone controls with it, for that price for 6 zones is a lot cheaper than any SONOS or Nuvo

With no source(s)... And if you add sources, you'll need a second (or more) app to control those.

What do you want to use as sources?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean sources, I plan on using ITunes or Pandora for my sources, I was pretty sure this system could use it.  Did I follow this wrong?

post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antney79 View Post

What do you mean sources, I plan on using ITunes or Pandora for my sources, I was pretty sure this system could use it.  Did I follow this wrong?

"Source" of your music. The traditional WHA systems (including the HTD) are just controllers and amplifiers. You have to hook up a "source" device to provide actual music. A CD player, AM/FM tuner, etc. Today the most desired sources are access / playback from a digital library (iTunes) on the home network, and services from the Internet (Pandora, Spotify, Internet Radio, etc.). So you need some device to deliver those services.

The simplest way to obtain the digital library and Internet streaming sources is the Sonos Connect unit - attached as a source to a traditional WHA system. But that gets you one simultaneous user (but in any combination of zones). Supporting multiple users requires multiple sources - more Connect units. Very quickly you approach the cost of an all-Sonos system, using per-zone Connect:Amp units instead of separate controller/amp plus source(s).

That solution is also fully integrated - one app for browsing music, adjusting volume, etc. Which is worth any delta in cost between the two approaches, IMO.

post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

I think I understand this system still needs a source where the sonos and nuvo systems allow you to have iTunes or stream music.

Would you recommend sonos or nuvo? Seems nuvo is a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone else stumbles on it, you can use an apple airport express (or multiple airport expresses) as sources for WHA and then use airplay to stream anything (pandora, itunes, rhapsody, hulu, etc) from your ios device. They are pretty seamless and are about $75 refurbed. Works great and easy to set up.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Are you able to use pandora? Seems like just iTunes music only.
If it can do pandora too this is much cheaper route for multiple zones.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antney79 View Post
Are you able to use pandora? Seems like just iTunes music only.
If it can do pandora too this is much cheaper route for multiple zones.

Yes, from any ios/mac device you can stream pretty much any audio (pandora, youtube, itunes, hulu, netflix, rhapsody, etc, etc, etc) using airplay. You can also airplay to an AppleTV, but the output is digital (HDMI or optical) so you would need a converter to send it to an analog system like HTD.

You can also use HTDNET to control each of the zones from your phone. The interface is a little clunky (basically a virtual wall keypad implemented as a html web page), but it is very stable and usable. There is an option in safari to create a 'app' on your phone from a web page, so I have one 'app' to control the HTD system and then use other apps (pandora, etc) to airplay to the system. I generally use the volume control built into airplay (so I can use the buttons on my phone or the little control center slider) and just use the HTDNET 'app' to turn on a zone and pick a source.

It is definitely not as slick or integrated as SONOS and if you don't have solid wifi coverage you can get dropouts as you move around, but the sound quality is excellent and you aren't limited to the services that sonos supports (I like to use my audio system to play the sound as I watch a netflix or hulu on my ipad--I don't know if sonos does that).

Hope that helps!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Sonos is a great system and you really should take a close look at it--beautifully integrated, wireless, easily expandable. For me I decided to go with HTD because it just worked better for my application. I'm really happy with it. As far as cost goes--I spent $200 for a 70w/zone 12 channel amp (ebay), $550 for the MC66 and HTDNET and then $150 for 2 airport expresses. I'm also hooking up 2 TVs and one computer to the system...so for $900 I have 6 zones that can each play 5 different sources and stream anything I want from my ipad, phone or computer. Of course, you still need to add speakers to that (I used mostly HTD HD-R80 at $180/pr)...but I think it is a pretty rocking system.
Reply Home A/V Distribution