Structured Cabling configurator? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-03-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anybody have a link to a good configurator for putting together a structured cabling box? or favorite dealer for that kind of gear?

I just built a detached garage and have data and sat cables ran out there. I want to do it right and get the shop wired up properly. The stuff at Lowe's is probably all I need, but just a quick search online I find plenty of alternates at cheaper prices.

Thanks,

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-03-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I don't know of any configurator, but it's not really necessary. You just buy as many block/modules as you have cables. The product catalog pages will show you the various module options. You probably just need a telco module and 1-2 network (RJ45) blocks. Leave the coax connections for whichever provider you have to deal with - don't buy splitters/amps for them - let the installer do it.

Stick with the major brands (Leviton, Legrand/OnQ). You want compatible modules to be available for years to come. I've been unimpressed with some of the "cheap" brands in terms of build quality.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks!

I found that Smarthome.com has Leviton for less than half the cost of Lowe's. I'll try and match up the part numbers and make sure they all work together. I got suspicious of some of the items available being compatible. That is what prompted my original post. Before I spent hours doing research, I was hoping someone else had invented that wheel already.

Thanks,

-Eric
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page