30ft Computer to TV... use HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a laptop in my living room that i wanted to give access into my TV by running an HDMI cable up the walls and ceilings. so i bought this cable on ebay which would be more than enough length. when i tested the cable connection between them i got this weird distortion (btw, the image is supposed to be one of those standard apple wallpapers).

it doesnt look quite as bad as my iphone capture of it, but it does have a lot of these weird green lines. it seems to work with certain colors, but then some colors through it completely off. 

anyways, then i read about how HDMI doesn't work well with long cables. then i read you had to get high speed. then i read it depends if you have silver plating or "1.4" or you can use "HDBaseT" for longer distances.

It is all very unclear to me what to do and the more i research the more questions i have. Somebody on this forum said that 25' is the max for HDMI length, but another said they got theirs working on 30'. I measured and i think i can get away with just 30' if needed, but I dont want to buy another HDMI cable that doesnt work with this...

in a nutshell:

Please give me advice on a 30' cable for my laptop!

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-07-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

would this cable would be adequate?

Monoprice Redmere 30ft HDMI

post #3 of 15 Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That cable should work. Lots of people have good luck with them.
You could use a 35' one to give you a little slack. Keep in mind that those cables are directional.
elgrayso likes this.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-07-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

"directional"?

post #5 of 15 Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

would this one work then? 

its 35ft monoprice but im not sure if the specs are different or if it matters

post #6 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Hello,

I personally wouldn't trust an HDMI cable over 25' as in my experience they seem more likely to fail or have problems with dropping out. The HDBaseT I believe is more of a protocol for transmitting over CAT cable (Copper). I don't think I've ever seen an HDMI cable with that but I may be wrong.

My initial instinct would to pick up an HDMI extender. Gefen makes a pretty decent / affordable extenders.

You could go the route of getting a HDMI over CAT converter box and have the majority of your run be CAT 5 cable which is a lot more durable and could be more easily hidden as you can do longer runs with it.

Hope I could help a little,

Will

post #7 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

ok looks like i will buy this then

monoprice hdmi extender

thank you

post #8 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 AM

No worries..

Also I would stay away from directional HDMI cables cause that just sounds silly.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
The Redmere cables sold by Monoprice are "directional" because there is an equalizing chip in one end of the cable, so there's a definite "input" and "output" end. It's not a snake oil statement common with passive cables claiming direction matters - in this case it simply won't work if installed backwards.

But the Redmere tech is really good for cables 25' up to 60'. The equalizing chip is set up for the specific cable length. Best solution for cables of that length. Beyond those ranges, you'll be into an Extender solution, of which HDBaseT is the best answer.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #10 of 15 Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgrayso View Post

ok looks like i will buy this then

monoprice hdmi extender

thank you

I wouldn't use those hdmi extenders, or any, for that matter that don't use HDBaseT.
But since HDBaseT extenders can be priced around $400-$600, go with the Redmere HDMI cable.

If you don't know what you are talking about, please say so in your opinion. This would clear some things up and differentiate advice from experts and diy'ers.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The HDMI extender sure makes for an expensive 30' cable!

I have a 35' Monoprice Redmere and it works fine. Don't get tripped up on it 'being directional.'
post #12 of 15 Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Is this cable easy to install/replace?

If so, then get the Redmere cable. Don't buy on eBay, buy it directly from Monoprice.

Make sure to install it the proper direction.

Likewise, I would expect the cable you had in your second link (24AWG HDMI cable) to work, but I would go to the 22AWG cable if you were to use a non active cable. (Redmere cables are active)

I wouldn't touch the extender you have in your third link. HDBaseT and junk are separated by the fact that the product isn't HDBT. biggrin.gif

This is their HDBaseT extender, and it's more than you should need to spend:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

Instead, get the Redmere: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2
or the 22AWG passive: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=4033&seq=1&format=2

I have tested Monoprice 22AWG cables to 75' with 1080p content without issues, but they don't carry the 'high speed' rating, unlike the Redmere cables which do.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmempa View Post

Hello,

I personally wouldn't trust an HDMI cable over 25' as in my experience they seem more likely to fail or have problems with dropping out. The HDBaseT I believe is more of a protocol for transmitting over CAT cable (Copper). I don't think I've ever seen an HDMI cable with that but I may be wrong.

My initial instinct would to pick up an HDMI extender. Gefen makes a pretty decent / affordable extenders.

You could go the route of getting a HDMI over CAT converter box and have the majority of your run be CAT 5 cable which is a lot more durable and could be more easily hidden as you can do longer runs with it.

Hope I could help a little,

Will
Will, you should do a bit more research on all things related to HDMI. Your post, including the follow up one, is pretty far off from what HDMI technologies are doing right now.

HDBaseT (HDBT) was created by Valens and their chips are used in almost all major electronics manufacturers products including Gefen, Crestron, Atlona, Panasonic, Extron, AMX, etc., etc., etc. The Valens chip is inside and handles the HDMI to copper conversion. If there is no Valens chip inside, it isn't HDBT until their patent expires (which may be soon).

As explained above, Redmere is an active extension cable. There is a signal equalizer built into the receiving end of the cable. It's like an outboard HDMI signal equalizer, but is built into the cable and it draws power from the source instead of using an external power supply. It works really well as most reviews state and keeps cable thickness to a minimum.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a ~40ft Monoprice Redmere HDMI cable that works great. I also have numerous shorter Redmere cables in the same chain. Overally very stable.

I've also used Monoprice HDBaseT extenders for longer distances, but stay away from the cheap cat5/cat6 extenders that don't use HDBaseT (basically everything less than ~$200 right now). If you do need a "budget" cat5/cat6 extender, this one from Monoprice works well: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2
post #15 of 15 Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

yep i just tried my hdmi extender i bought and it indeed does not work.
even though i subscibe to instant notifications on this thread, i don't think i was alerted to any posts after my last one and had no idea anyone was commenting!

thanks for all the posts, I will buy a monoprice redmere cable between 30-40'

third purchase is the charm!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page