• 1 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By jautor
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 24 Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My father is busy with a kitchen install and has asked that I install the items below. All speaker wires has been installed with a home run to the Grand Concerto and the cat5 has been home run to the Concerto EZ Port located beside the GC, several keypads have been installed as well as most of the ceiling speakers and the MPS4 Music port. Before I proceed with the rest of the install I decided to test a couple zones out as they’re complete but am having the following issues.

For the Music Port, I am trying to use the learning module that my father has provided but I don't have the correct connection on my computer for what has been provided (looks like a VGA connector, my apologies as I do not know the correct name) in order to load music on to the hard drive. I have tested with the songs that come pre-loaded on the hard drive and it works fine, my problem is loading the new music from my computer on to the hard drive.

Is there a cable I could use to connect the learning module to my computer via USB? Or are there any other suggestions you may have?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Below is the material list;

NuVo Grand Concerto NV-I8GMS
NuVo NV-MPS4 Music Port
NuVo NV-2100 Audio Amplifier
NuVo NV-18DLS EZ IR Learning Station
NuVo Remote iPod Dock
NuVo Mute module for grand concerto
NuVo NuVo NV-CTP36 Color Touch Pad, (Extra Touchpads)

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 417
You don't need a cable. Make sure both your PC (wherever the music is) and the MPS4 are both on the network. Then you'll use the PC-based NuVo MusicPort Sync tool to copy music files to the MPS4. See the MPS4 manual for full instructions - you'll start by pointing a web browser at the MPS4's IP address (which you can get from your router or from the menu on the keypad).
My Dream likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 24 Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Jauter,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

I was under the impression that the learning station was necessary in making the import of music files as seamless as possible. Is the learning station unnecessary for what I am trying to do? I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I tried reading all the manuals (more than once) but this system has me a little overwhelmed. Where does the learning station come in handy?
post #4 of 24 Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post

I was under the impression that the learning station was necessary in making the import of music files as seamless as possible. Is the learning station unnecessary for what I am trying to do? I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I tried reading all the manuals (more than once) but this system has me a little overwhelmed. Where does the learning station come in handy?

The learning station is ONLY needed if you want to learn IR codes from non-NuVo source devices (say, a generic CD player), so that the play/pause/FF/RWD buttons on the NuVo keypad would control that device. And even then, many source devices are already in the NuVo database within the configuration PC-based software. In general, you won't ever need the Learning Station - if you haven't already bought it or can return it, do so - I doubt you'll ever need it.

The Sync software is used to copy files to the server.
My Dream likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 24 Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

That clears a lot of things up!

I couldn't wrap my head around the learning station uses in terms of music but I was given the impression it was needed to import. That is why there is all the IR hardware in the box with it.

Its coming together in my head now!! lol

I will give it a try through the network and update. Thanks so much for your quick responses.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Another way to connect to the MPS4/E configuration page is by typing music-port/config into the browser address bar - with Internet Explorer - using a computer on the same network/LAN as the MPS4.

Didn't work with Chrome, just now, not sure why not.

From the Firmware tab, select Install Music Port Sync.

And, like jautor said, read the manual. Several times.
My Dream likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 24 Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I want to thank both jautor and Neurorad for helping my son with this install as I know it's been frustrating.

I purchased the Learning Station as I thought it was more user friendly when installing the NuVo system. I was under the impression it was more of a drag and drop installation and would make customizing the system that much easier.

I was able to find the cd for the Grand Concerto and Learning Station but I haven't found the cd for the Music Port. I'll assume it's needed for the install?

I ran the cat5 cable from the wireless router to the Music Port and the Lan Led has gone from red to off so I'll assume this means good communication to the router.

So far the Music Port Nuvo Net is connected to the front of the EZ Port, one set of rca jacks have been connected to one source input and the Ethernet cable is connected to the router. I'm unable to download any music and I'm still having problems with the GC recognizing the MP.

I tried typing music-port/config into the firebox browser address bar and all I came up with is various selections for the manual.

post #8 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

There's no CD for the MusicPort - the Sync software is downloaded from the unit once you get it on the network.

Have you gone through the Grand Concerto configuration Software? You'll want to do that to get the MPS4 set up on the correct sources - then the menus will show up (they may anyway) on the keypads, too.

post #9 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

This is the son again..

I have everything connected correctly, the LAN error light on the front will blink 3 times or not be on at all.. it is hit or miss, but I am unable to have anything come up on music-port/config when I type it in the browser. I have tried connecting with multiple cables to make sure it was not a connection issue. On the ethernet connection on the back I read the manual and it says there should be two green lights, but I am seeing 1 green and 1 orange.

I tried connecting my computer to the musicport and see both green lights on the back, but then I get the flashing LED on the front.

I tried looking up the IP address on the keypad but nothing happens when I click IP Address or Version in the menu.

I am having a very hard time understanding this, I can't figure out why it wont work.

Any suggestions?
post #10 of 24 Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have a router in place? You've got to have a source for DHCP and basic network services connected. You can't just connect a PC to the MPS4's Ethernet directly... See page 8 of the manual - 3 blinks on the LAN LED indicates a lack of DHCP...
My Dream likes this.

post #11 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for hanging in there jautor;

This is the father;

There is a cat5 cable running from a Hiltron CGN2 WiFi Modem to the Music Port. When I hooked up the cat5 to the Music Port on Thursday the light stayed off which meant there was a connection. At this point it appears my son can't determine the IP address of the Music Port nor have anything come up on the pc when you type in music-port/config on the browser.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Thanks for hanging in there jautor;

This is the father;

There is a cat5 cable running from a Hiltron CGN2 WiFi Modem to the Music Port. When I hooked up the cat5 to the Music Port on Thursday the light stayed off which meant there was a connection. At this point it appears my son can't determine the IP address of the Music Port nor have anything come up on the pc when you type in music-port/config on the browser.
Either get the Grand Concerto set up first, since you can obtain the MPS4's IP address from the NuVo keypads, or determine the IP address of the MPS4 from your router's DHCP client table. Log into the web GUI of the router, there should be an area for DHCP.
My Dream likes this.

post #13 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Dad;

I don't see a "NuVo Icon" on my pc so maybe it's possible my son downloaded the Grand Concerto CD onto his laptop. If so then he'll have to configure everything through his laptop which is fine with me.

I'll assume since he can't get an IP address from any keypad then maybe the GC CD isn't loaded properly onto this laptop?

We'll wait for his reply and again thanks jautor.

PS.
By the way, your home theater still amazes me.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dad;
Y'all really should get your own AVS usernames... They are free, after all. Talking to two different people is really confusing...

Quote:
I don't see a "NuVo Icon" on my pc so maybe it's possible my son downloaded the Grand Concerto CD onto his laptop. If so then he'll have to configure everything through his laptop which is fine with me.
You can download the software from the NuVo website. You'll need a serial cable (and a serial port, for that matter!) to connect your PC/laptop to the GC.

Quote:
I'll assume since he can't get an IP address from any keypad then maybe the GC CD isn't loaded properly onto this laptop?
Does the MPS4 menu show up on the keypads? You seem to be starting from the middle of the install process and working backwards. Get the GC running first, then add the MPS4 to the functional system.
My Dream likes this.

post #15 of 24 Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Dad;

I can understand confusion re dad/son, I just figured since I'm already a member my son could use my forum name. For now we'll just identify ourselves at the beginning of each post.

I just checked and the lan light is off on the MPS4 which indicates there is a connection.

I couldn't locate any "MPS4" on the keypad, in order to play music from the Music Port (MPS4) I would go to "Music Server A" and it will play but only if I went to "Party Mode".

I'm just heading out now jautor and either my son or I will check for replies tomorrow.

Thanks again.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Dad:

Does the RS232 cable need to be connected in order for the Music Port to work since it doesn't show up on the pc or the keypads?

I also loaded the GC software on the pc and the pc states it can't connect to the GC even though the lan light on the MPS4 is off on the front display.

Last edited by My Dream; 06-17-2014 at 12:12 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does the RS232 cable need to be connected in order for the Music Port to work since it doesn't show up on the pc or the keypads?
Not required for the MPS4 functionality, but you'll want it for the mobile device "app" support.

Quote:
I also loaded the GC software on the pc and the pc states it can't connect to the GC even though the lan light on the MPS4 is off on the front display.
You must connect your PC directly to the GC via a serial (RS232) connection. If your PC doesn't have a serial port, you'll need a USB-to-serial converter. This does NOT happen over the network.
My Dream likes this.

post #18 of 24 Old 06-17-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

DAD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Not required for the MPS4 functionality, but you'll want it for the mobile device "app" support.
I will eventually get the ap for both the Ipod, Touch, Iphone as well as an android phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You must connect your PC directly to the GC via a serial (RS232) connection. If your PC doesn't have a serial port, you'll need a USB-to-serial converter. This does NOT happen over the network.
Ok, maybe that's why the PC isn't recognizing the MPS4, unable to connect from PC to GC as well as unable to get an IP address from the keypad or anywhere else.

Looks like I have to order the converter

Thanks jautor,

Last edited by My Dream; 06-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Components installed so far:

NuVo Grand Concerto (2.66)
MPS4 Music Port (V0.26), 3 ports used
T2FXG ver.2 only fm connected (xm not connected)
I have several other components but not connected yet till I have the GC working properly.

These are the problems I’m having with the NuVo Grand Concerto system.

GC
· Only one source will work at one time on all zones only.
· I can’t control the section containing bass, treble, balance, loudness comp, etc. from any zone.
· I can’t control the family room from the kitchen, therefore, one zone can’t control another.
· I can only play music to all zones via “Party Mode”, therefore I can’t turn on one zone only.

T2FXG Ver2
· The keypads won’t show any stations and the T2FXG tuner displays are blanked out.
· I can’t select or preset any stations & shows up a XMO in the source section
. It won't play any stations.

MPS4
· It came with sample jazz music (10 songs), but I can’t download my own music.
· I can’t get the sync tool to work, it won’t leave an icon on my pc.
· It doesn’t seem to recognize the music port ip address.

Key Pad.
· The CTP36 Touchpad won’t control any zone or turn the music on.
· CTP36 displays zone 20 in “now playing” section.
· It has limited options on keypad 18 GCP.
· Keypad 18 GCP shows as version V0.26
· Shows as HW0x00
· Advance zone control doesn’t work.
· Dynamic group doesn’t work.
· Cleaning mode doesn’t work.

My son and have spent a combined over 15 hours trying to figure this out and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm hoping it's just a software issue.

Last edited by My Dream; 08-20-2014 at 03:36 PM.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you get the GC configuration software installed on a PC and get it connected via RS232 to the GC unit?

Do that first, a lot of what you're seeing sounds like configuration errors. Try to get one source (the tuner would be my first choice) fully up and running - keep everything else simple and not connected.

How many total keypads do you have and what type (OLED or color)? Are they all working - meaning they light up and respond, show menus, etc.?
My Dream likes this.

post #21 of 24 Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply jautor,

Yes I did install the latest GC configurator software from the legrand site via NV-I8G & NV-E6G Configurator (Software Downloads) and I also installed the RS 232 from the GC to the laptop. I believe he keypad says NV-I8GM V2.66

I only installed 3 of the NV-I8GCP OLED keypads so far with 75% of the options respond and one of the NV-CTP36 touchpads but it won't turn on any functions or music and won't change from stating it's on zone 20 therefor only 5% respond, I have two NV-CTP36 so I swapped them out and found no difference in response.

The tuner shows up on the main menu but when I click ok it states XMO and I have the rca jacks plugged into Tuner 1 audio out ports.

Are you suggesting to disconcerting the music port and try running the GC with the tuner only?

Last edited by My Dream; 08-21-2014 at 05:29 AM.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I did install the latest GC configurator software from the legrand size via NV-I8G & NV-E6G Configurator (Software Downloads) and I also installed the RS 232 from the GC to the laptop. I believe he keypad says NV-I8GM V2.66
Good. Did you run through all of the setup steps?

Quote:
I only installed 3 of the NV-I8GCP OLED keypads so far with 75% of the options respond and one of the NV-CTP36 touchpads but it won't turn on any functions or music and won't change from stating it's on zone 20 therefor only 5% respond, I have two NV-CTP36 so I swapped them out and found no difference in response.
See the installation manual (X. Control Pad Setup). You have to assign each keypad to a zone, through the menu on each keypad. That zone number must correspond to the speaker outputs (zone1-8). Zone20 indicates the keypads aren't configured. You may have to go into the Advanced Settings menu if these have been configured previously. If that option is greyed out, highlight it and hold down OK for 6 seconds to enter the Advanced menu.

Quote:
The tuner shows up on the main menu but when I click ok it states XMO and I have the rca jacks plugged into Tuner 1 audio out ports.
Have you set up the tuner as a source in the software? Is the tuner connected to NuVoNet?

Quote:
Are you suggesting to disconcerting the music port and try running the GC with the tuner only?
Yes. Troubleshooting 101. Reduce the variables until you figure out the problem(s). Get a basic setup running, then add pieces - otherwise you're chasing way too many possible pitfalls.

Jeff
My Dream likes this.

post #23 of 24 Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I was starting to make good progress albeit very slowly but after about 5 hrs over the course of several days I was able to get some channels on the T2 tuner. I set names to zones, control bass, treble etc only via the Music Port online thingy.

Thanks for letting me know about holding down the Advance etc button for 6 seconds since that made some other changes possible and simplified some other options.

Then one day I turned the system on and everything had changed. the keypad stated the all the music port sources are unavailable, the T2 tuner lost all the favorites. When I go to favorites it changes the sources and again I lost many of the options. After several days of trial and error nothing changed. I spent about another 10 more hours trying to figure it out and finally gave up.

This has got to be the first time in my life where I want to just give up. I can only assume I'm the problem, but it's frustrating when I make two steps forward then come back to 3 steps back.

If only I could get it to be consistent and make headway.

Thanks everyone for your help but for those that say NuVo GC is an easy install, then I must be brain dead when it comes to figuring this system out.
post #24 of 24 Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I was starting to make good progress albeit very slowly but after about 5 hrs over the course of several days I was able to get some channels on the T2 tuner. I set names to zones, control bass, treble etc only via the Music Port online thingy.

Thanks for letting me know about holding down the Advance etc button for 6 seconds since that made some other changes possible and simplified some other options.

Then one day I turned the system on and everything had changed. the keypad stated the all the music port sources are unavailable, the T2 tuner lost all the favorites. When I go to favorites it changes the sources and again I lost many of the options. After several days of trial and error nothing changed. I spent about another 10 more hours trying to figure it out and finally gave up.

This has got to be the first time in my life where I want to just give up. I can only assume I'm the problem, but it's frustrating when I make two steps forward then come back to 3 steps back.

If only I could get it to be consistent and make headway.

Thanks everyone for your help but for those that say NuVo GC is an easy install, then I must be brain dead when it comes to figuring this system out.
Have you guys made anymore progress since August?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page