A/V to media room or central location? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A/V to media room or central location?

Hey all. I'm in the process of building a new media room (may make a thread for the build).
I'm also wiring the entire house while I'm at it. 2 cat5e and 1 RG6 to each room (some rooms with more).I'll also have a media closet in the media room.
I was planning to do a homerun from each outlet in the house to the basement area (not the media closet/room).
Is there any reason I should instead run all the houses cat5e and rg6 to the media closet/room? The reason I'm not doing this to begin with is that in the future this media room may become a bedroom and the media closet a bedroom closet.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
If I do run everything to the basement, will I have any trouble hooking everything up in the media room (eg: TV, PS3, PS4, cable box, ect.)?

Last edited by Megacam; 06-13-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Run all the basics to the most permanent and accessible location - which for you sounds like the basement location. Just run multiple cat5e/cat6 and RG6 runs between that location and your media room closet. Put any gear for the media room in the media room closet. Any gear to drive whole house audio / video would go in the basement.

If there's a possibility that the media room (and its closet) could later become a regular bedroom - you don't want all the "whole house" gear in there. Especially if you have a basement location where it could all go.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Run all the basics to the most permanent and accessible location - which for you sounds like the basement location. Just run multiple cat5e/cat6 and RG6 runs between that location and your media room closet. Put any gear for the media room in the media room closet. Any gear to drive whole house audio / video would go in the basement.

If there's a possibility that the media room (and its closet) could later become a regular bedroom - you don't want all the "whole house" gear in there. Especially if you have a basement location where it could all go.
Thanks for the quick reply. Whould you still run one or two outlets of cat5e and RG6 in the media room walls, for things like a computer, etc.?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacam View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Whould you still run one or two outlets of cat5e and RG6 in the media room walls, for things like a computer, etc.?
Certainly wire anything that would be "normal" if the room were turned back into a bedroom. For theater usage, having a cat5e outlet handy is a good thing, too. So, short answer - yes.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Should I avoid sharing an electric box with a divider, or one of those clip on orange A/V boxes ( attaches to side of electric box)? If I remember correctly A/V and electric don't mix too well together.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacam View Post
Ok. Should I avoid sharing an electric box with a divider, or one of those clip on orange A/V boxes ( attaches to side of electric box)? If I remember correctly A/V and electric don't mix too well together.
For recessed outlets behind wall-mounted TVs the split/divider boxes are great (and legal!). For most other locations, I wouldn't use them. You don't want a "box" for low-voltage cables, since it's not usually required for code (check your locale) and much harder to work with than the open "rings". If you want to use the combo box/ring setup, fine - but it will be cheaper and easier to just place LV rings where you need them. Using the dual-gang box/ring combo will require you to use decora outlet plates and perhaps decora keystone inserts.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

hmm. the more I think about this, the more questions I have. Maybe I should just make a Build thread I already have like 15 can lights up and 6 sconce light boxes, and a bar/kitchen area...so hopefully It'll stay a media/rec. room for a while
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page