Odd HDMI to Coax Situation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Odd HDMI to Coax Situation

At my church, we have a video feed coming out of our switcher from DVI to HDMI. We then send the HDMI through this. We then have a coax with an RCA adapter going to a coax splitter that feeds several TVs. Ridiculous, I know, but it works. Sort of.

The audio (of course) isn't very good but we have one old tube TV that picks up the signal just fine, as well as a newish flatscreen with a coax in. However, I have one TV that does not work with it. The static pattern changes when I plug in the coax, but there's no discernible picture or sound. Why might this be, and is there any way I could end up using this TV still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I think we'll need some clarification . . .

I'm confused on "the switcher " and the "coax splitter."

Usually people use video switches to distribute the video. And I'm picturing the coax splitter, as a typical TV splitter.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrongey View Post
At my church, we have a video feed coming out of our switcher from DVI to HDMI. We then send the HDMI through this. We then have a coax with an RCA adapter going to a coax splitter that feeds several TVs. Ridiculous, I know, but it works. Sort of.

The audio (of course) isn't very good but we have one old tube TV that picks up the signal just fine, as well as a newish flatscreen with a coax in. However, I have one TV that does not work with it. The static pattern changes when I plug in the coax, but there's no discernible picture or sound. Why might this be, and is there any way I could end up using this TV still?
Let me make sure I have this correct... you have the following setup:

Switcher out via HDMI --> HDMI to Composite converter --> RCA to Coax adapter --> Coax splitter --> Multiple TV's

Assuming that is right... you need to be using another Coax to RCA adapter and the Composite inputs on the TV's. The Coax input on the TV if for an RF signal... and you aren't sending RF. You are sending composite video which is different a different signal.

BUT... I have to ask... why are you converting HDMI to Composite in the first place? What is the resolution coming out of the switcher? If it's HD then you would be much better off distributing your signal as HD rather than converting it to SD/Composite.

Why don't you back up a bit and tell us a little more about your setup and what exactly you want to do. I think that might help get you to a satisfactory solution faster than trying to figure out and fix the setup you have now.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
Let me make sure I have this correct... you have the following setup:

Switcher out via HDMI --> HDMI to Composite converter --> RCA to Coax adapter --> Coax splitter --> Multiple TV's

Assuming that is right... you need to be using another Coax to RCA adapter and the Composite inputs on the TV's. The Coax input on the TV if for an RF signal... and you aren't sending RF. You are sending composite video which is different a different signal.

BUT... I have to ask... why are you converting HDMI to Composite in the first place? What is the resolution coming out of the switcher? If it's HD then you would be much better off distributing your signal as HD rather than converting it to SD/Composite.

Why don't you back up a bit and tell us a little more about your setup and what exactly you want to do. I think that might help get you to a satisfactory solution faster than trying to figure out and fix the setup you have now.
That's pretty much accurate, though I missed a couple steps. We're taking the 1080i signal out from a Panasonic AG-HMX100 video switcher through DVI-D. We adapt that to an HDMI signal and go to an HDMI splitter. From that splitter we are sending a boosted HDMI signal to two projectors in our sanctuary, and also go to a composite converter. Then we use an RCA to coax adapter to go to a standard coax splitter, from which we go to TVs in our lobby, cafe, and nursery. All three should be fine as far as run length.

What baffles me is that two of the TVs work just using the coax in. Maybe those TVs have built-in RF converters? I have tried adapting back to RCA on the problem TV but it still doesn't work. On the appropriate inputs and channels, the screen flickers when I plug into the RCA, and the static pattern changes when I plug in the coax, but there is no discernible picture. I plugged a DVD player into the RCA plug and it worked fine, so it's not the TV that's the problem.

We tried this because it was a lot cheaper and easier to get the HDMI to composite converter than get new TVs and run new cabling to go all digital.

Our options coming out of the switcher are DVI-D and SDI. I might be able to convince the higher-ups to give me the budget to go all digital, especially if it would mean better audio, but it would be preferable to figure out a relatively cheap way to get the rogue TV working.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 303
If you have new TVs with ATSC tuners built in, which most do, then you could use a ZeeVee and modulate your HD signal onto a HD channel like 12.1 and get full 1080i video using standard coax. This is one of the least expensive options and will give you full digital sound.

If I were you, I would take the TV that is having the issue and put it right after your modulator. You didn't really describe all the makes/models of your products, so I'm assuming you are using some sort of modulator in the sequence so that you can feed everything over coaxial cable to the TVs.

If the TV that isn't working, doesn't work anywhere, then the tuner in the TV could be bad. You could try a standard NTSC tuner, like in an old VCR, and hook that up to the TV, or it could just be a underpowered signal which is trying to make it out to the TV.

There are tons of things that could be wrong, including just using a cheap modulator to try to drive the signal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page