WHA+Home Theater Solution Ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WHA+Home Theater Solution Ideas

Hello, I know similar things have been beat to death, and I have spent some time reviewing threads for similar questions but did not really find anything to suite my particular questions/desires.

I currently have a home theater set-up in my living room consisting of
- 7.1 With Klipsch F-3, C-3, B-3 and a couple of in ceiling's, powered sub
- yamaha receiver, RX-1065

I also have some random's I was hoping to utilize
- Old Sony receiver, 5.1
- Klipsch F-2's
- Random in ceiling speakers

What I would like to do:
Be able to utilize my home theater set-up as part of a whole home system. I will be placing speakers in the garage, in my shed(more a second garage than shed, has enclosed patio perfect for bar/tv/music and pretty close to bonfire pit) and eventually in the basement(once the theater room and bar are complete). I am looking for options to utilize the home theater, living room setup, in conjunction with the garage/shed. It would be perfect to be able to play the same source to all "zones", preferably controlled as simple as possible, Pandora through a tablet?

Looking for anyone's suggestions on how to accomplish the above. I know Sonos does the zone/phone control thing well, but I find their equipment very overpriced. Would love to be able to use what I have, rather than simply buying all new speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 340
In general, if you're looking to add one or two additional zones (rooms/areas/whatever), you can do this reasonably from an AV Receiver that has built-in zone2 support - especially if the AVR includes mobile app and Internet music services. Your Yamaha AVR has zone2, but no mobile control or streaming services...

Once you cross into say four or more additional zones, it's time to think about a separate (but perhaps connected) whole house audio system.

You can use the speakers. The Sonos Connect:Amp is a great way to go for each additional zone you want to add. Were you only looking at the Sonos Play line of integrated units? Since your AVR lacks the mobile control / Internet music - one or two Connect:Amp units would probably be your best choice. And/or a Sonos Connect as a source to your AVR - so that you can have the same music support in your living room setup as well.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
In general, if you're looking to add one or two additional zones (rooms/areas/whatever), you can do this reasonably from an AV Receiver that has built-in zone2 support - especially if the AVR includes mobile app and Internet music services. Your Yamaha AVR has zone2, but no mobile control or streaming services...

Once you cross into say four or more additional zones, it's time to think about a separate (but perhaps connected) whole house audio system.

You can use the speakers. The Sonos Connect:Amp is a great way to go for each additional zone you want to add. Were you only looking at the Sonos Play line of integrated units? Since your AVR lacks the mobile control / Internet music - one or two Connect:Amp units would probably be your best choice. And/or a Sonos Connect as a source to your AVR - so that you can have the same music support in your living room setup as well.

Jeff
I don't know how I missed the Connect:Amp, thanks for pointing that out to me.

After some thinking, I see that I could probably do a Connect to my main home theater, as well as a connect to my garage/shed using my old Sony receiver. This way I can also utilize more than just the two speakers that the Connect:Amp supports. This setup should allow me to utilize both "zones" from my phone, and stream the same thing to both, or just to 1, if needed. Correct?

Any other suggestions? This setup would run about $700, based on Amazon current pricing of the Connect. At that price point, I would almost just consider dropping an extra few hundred for a newer model home theater receiver, such as the A-1030, or even the 2030.

Thoughts?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetRated View Post
After some thinking, I see that I could probably do a Connect to my main home theater, as well as a connect to my garage/shed using my old Sony receiver. This way I can also utilize more than just the two speakers that the Connect:Amp supports. This setup should allow me to utilize both "zones" from my phone, and stream the same thing to both, or just to 1, if needed. Correct?
"Utilize" both zones, yes. But you'll have multiple control points - you'll use the Sonos app for selecting music, but will still need to turn on/off the zone and adjust volume via your AVR. That can work, but certainly isn't convenient. In my experience, if you have to "go to" the system in another room to turn it on / adjust - the zones don't get used as often as they should. It becomes a hassle and you end up using it for "special occasions" or if you're going to be in the space for a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetRated View Post
Any other suggestions? This setup would run about $700, based on Amazon current pricing of the Connect. At that price point, I would almost just consider dropping an extra few hundred for a newer model home theater receiver, such as the A-1030, or even the 2030.
Depends on your total (final) zone count. If that number is only two or three - a really nice AVR for that money (and you can offset some cost by selling the perfectly 'fine' gear...), with built-in streaming audio / Internet services and a mobile app for control would do great. You may have to spring $100 on a zone amp for zone3 (see AudioSource AMP-100), but it will be a good solution.

If you think you'll expand to more than three zones, I'd go the Sonos Connect:Amp route as you can add zones as you go...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
"Utilize" both zones, yes. But you'll have multiple control points - you'll use the Sonos app for selecting music, but will still need to turn on/off the zone and adjust volume via your AVR. That can work, but certainly isn't convenient. In my experience, if you have to "go to" the system in another room to turn it on / adjust - the zones don't get used as often as they should. It becomes a hassle and you end up using it for "special occasions" or if you're going to be in the space for a long time...

Depends on your total (final) zone count. If that number is only two or three - a really nice AVR for that money (and you can offset some cost by selling the perfectly 'fine' gear...), with built-in streaming audio / Internet services and a mobile app for control would do great. You may have to spring $100 on a zone amp for zone3 (see AudioSource AMP-100), but it will be a good solution.

If you think you'll expand to more than three zones, I'd go the Sonos Connect:Amp route as you can add zones as you go...

Jeff
Had not considered the easy volume/power control with the sonos option, as opposed to using the old receiver. As much as I liked the idea of a new multi-zone receiver with the new phone control options, after further consideration I think putting my money towards a Sonos system will be a better investment.

I had not considered the fact of getting wiring out to the shed. It has electric, and even cable, unfortunately not run through conduit, just ground rated cable buried. The Sonos system will allow me to throw a setup out there, a speaker or two in the garage, as well as make use of my current living room system.

I am thinking a Connect for the home theater, and will make a decision between a connect:amp to utilize my own speakers, or just go with the Play:1 or 3 for the garage. Potentially a Connect for the shed, as it will be off most of the time, I dont think requiring manual control of the system when out there will be an issue.
Reviews seem pretty good, do you have any experience with the Play speakers?

Worst case I am at around $1350(connect, connect:amp x2) with a system that can be easily expanded upon, and is wireless. $1600 in to an A2030 could have given me 3 simultaneous powered zones, however with more limited ability to be expanded upon, and leaving me with having to trench out conduit to the shed for the wiring.

Thanks much for being an idea board for me, haha.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
And if you change direction the eBay resale value is excellent.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page