Newbie outdoor speaker setup question - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > Newbie outdoor speaker setup question
ned500 09:08 PM 06-18-2014
I am building a new home and too cheap to hire an AV company so here I am. I know only basics so pardon the naivete -

I am looking to have 7.1 surround in the main room with Bluray, HD TV, and Tivo box - not into gaming but kids could be in the future. Cant see the need for more than 6 HDMI inputs.

Also need to power 3 sets of outdoor speakers for normal volume music by pool and outdoor kitchen. These can all be on the same zone if need be... won't hate it if I could control them separately

I am going to buy a new receiver and would love a recommendation. Looking at 400-700 range. I am not a hardcore audiophile but want good sound and would like to control everything from a central location. Would also like wifi, bluetooth and airplay.

What is the best way to set up the wiring for the speakers. Do I need an external amp? a speaker selector for the outdoor speakers?

Thanks for any advice

AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated 01:37 PM 06-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned500 View Post
I am building a new home and too cheap to hire an AV company so here I am. I know only basics so pardon the naivete -

I am looking to have 7.1 surround in the main room with Bluray, HD TV, and Tivo box - not into gaming but kids could be in the future. Cant see the need for more than 6 HDMI inputs.

Also need to power 3 sets of outdoor speakers for normal volume music by pool and outdoor kitchen. These can all be on the same zone if need be... won't hate it if I could control them separately

I am going to buy a new receiver and would love a recommendation. Looking at 400-700 range. I am not a hardcore audiophile but want good sound and would like to control everything from a central location. Would also like wifi, bluetooth and airplay.

What is the best way to set up the wiring for the speakers. Do I need an external amp? a speaker selector for the outdoor speakers?

Thanks for any advice
There is a long list of iOS controlled A/V receivers. Pick one which has two zones.

On the second zone put in one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonamp-260-x...item4621bab989

They are available all the time on eBay for good pricing and deliver plenty of power across 3 pairs of speakers.

The speakers outside could be run to individual volume controls, or you can skip them and just set the amplified levels as you want in the amp, then adjust the volume for all three sets of speakers through the receiver.

Zone 2 outputs of receivers can be picky, so check the receiver carefully to ensure all your sources will work properly to zone 2.
ned500 05:42 AM 06-21-2014
Thanks for the reply,

I have read that digital sources cant be transmitted thru the RCA cables which most receivers use for Zone 2 preamp out. This requires wiring all sources with analog to the receiver as well as HDMI, adding more cables and complexity. I would like to avoid buying an amp if possible.

Yamaha has a receiver which would allow my 7.1 surround plus an additional set of speakers (wired like the others - not RCA cable) for zone 2.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

If I run this to a speaker selector (cheaper than an amp) then split off to each set of speakers would that be enough power? or do i definitely need an amp?

Thanks
AV_Integrated's Avatar AV_Integrated 07:41 PM 06-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned500 View Post
Thanks for the reply,

I have read that digital sources cant be transmitted thru the RCA cables which most receivers use for Zone 2 preamp out. This requires wiring all sources with analog to the receiver as well as HDMI, adding more cables and complexity. I would like to avoid buying an amp if possible.

Yamaha has a receiver which would allow my 7.1 surround plus an additional set of speakers (wired like the others - not RCA cable) for zone 2.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

If I run this to a speaker selector (cheaper than an amp) then split off to each set of speakers would that be enough power? or do i definitely need an amp?

Thanks
If it can go to zone 2, it can do so through the analog preouts. Most receivers can't down-mix or convert a HDMI source to stereo audio at all on zone 2, so you must run the RCAs to the receiver. This is a failing of HDMI and the receiver manufacturers, and is just stupid. (not on your part, on theirs)

I did recently speak to Denon and they insisted that their receivers could output audio from HDMI on the zone 2 output - the RCA connections. I haven't tested it personally. But, at the end of all of this, you need decent power outdoors, and the best way to do that is with an external amplifier. If you need to run a few sets of analog audio connections, or pick up a cheap DAC or two, it's really not a big deal after it's all setup. In fact, it's no different to use at all.
ned500 06:56 AM 06-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
If it can go to zone 2, it can do so through the analog preouts. Most receivers can't down-mix or convert a HDMI source to stereo audio at all on zone 2, so you must run the RCAs to the receiver. This is a failing of HDMI and the receiver manufacturers, and is just stupid. (not on your part, on theirs)

I did recently speak to Denon and they insisted that their receivers could output audio from HDMI on the zone 2 output - the RCA connections. I haven't tested it personally. But, at the end of all of this, you need decent power outdoors, and the best way to do that is with an external amplifier. If you need to run a few sets of analog audio connections, or pick up a cheap DAC or two, it's really not a big deal after it's all setup. In fact, it's no different to use at all.
Thanks, that what I'll do
Tags: new construction , outdoor speakers , receivers
Up
Mobile  Desktop