AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home A/V Distribution (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/)
-   -   split single zone into 2 rooms (multizone amp) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1577441-split-single-zone-into-2-rooms-multizone-amp.html)

pecker88 06-23-2014 07:14 PM

split single zone into 2 rooms (multizone amp)

when wiring house, I ran 2 conductor (+/-) to master bath and 2 conductor (+/-) to master bedroom.

I intended them to be on the same zone with a single keypad controller to the multizone whole home audio amp.

In reading about right/left stereo, each speaker in the pair doesn't receive all of the audio. Ugh. I should have known this.

What are my options? I'd like them to be on the same zone, yet each speaker receive all the audio signals.

I read about dual tweeter speakers, which would be OK, but then the single speaker would occupy the entire zone, what about the other speaker? Running another 2 conductor wire to each speaker is no problem, I put a 3" conduit from server rack to attic for just incase'es....

thanks!

AV_Integrated 06-23-2014 08:27 PM

You can sum the original source to mono and run it that way if you want/can.

You can run the additional wires to both rooms and run two speakers in each room, or run a single speaker stereo speaker in each room. Just splitting the audio into both rooms.

There are a number of solutions here, but typically, two pairs of speaker wires are run to a room, and a stereo speaker pair is installed in each room with proper separation. Bathrooms are tough because you really must have a speaker in the shower area to have decent audio in there, and you want at least one speaker in the main bathroom space to fill that area with audio. Stereo is far less important in bathroom spaces, so summing to mono is better in those area, but can be more complex to achieve because of the way sources are setup into a system. It depends on the hardware you have at the head end as much as anything else.

pecker88 06-24-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AV_Integrated (Post 25210873)
You can sum the original source to mono and run it that way if you want/can.

You can run the additional wires to both rooms and run two speakers in each room, or run a single speaker stereo speaker in each room. Just splitting the audio into both rooms.

There are a number of solutions here, but typically, two pairs of speaker wires are run to a room, and a stereo speaker pair is installed in each room with proper separation. Bathrooms are tough because you really must have a speaker in the shower area to have decent audio in there, and you want at least one speaker in the main bathroom space to fill that area with audio. Stereo is far less important in bathroom spaces, so summing to mono is better in those area, but can be more complex to achieve because of the way sources are setup into a system. It depends on the hardware you have at the head end as much as anything else.

I wired all other rooms for a pair of speakers, I used 2 homeruns (one for each speaker) of 2-conductor wire. For some reason, I didn't think of 4-conductor wire for bathroom/bedroom.

I'm still stuck in deciding Nuvo Essentia or Russound MCA-C3 for the multizone amp. Both provide zone1 & 2 variable & fixed line output to an external amp. And of course, both companies sell the 1U secondary amp; just more $$.

So I would:
-run additional 2-conductor wire to both bathroom/bedroom
-install dual tweeter speaker (Russound RSF-61T) in bathroom/bedroom
-use the multizone amp to power 1 dual tweeter speaker; both right/left channels get wired to single speaker
-attach secondary amp. to variable line output of multizone amp
-use the secondary amp to power the other dual tweeter speaker

Then, the keypad controller (mounted in bathroom) would control volume/source, ect... of both speakers since I used the variable line output connection from multizone --to--secondary amp.

jautor 06-24-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecker88 (Post 25217970)
I'm still stuck in deciding Nuvo Essentia or Russound MCA-C3 for the multizone amp. Both provide zone1 & 2 variable & fixed line output to an external amp. And of course, both companies sell the 1U secondary amp; just more $$.

Just for terminology clarity, both of those products are "Whole House Audio" systems / controllers - much more than just a multizone / multichannel amp...

How many (total) zones have you wired?

Quote:

So I would:
-run additional 2-conductor wire to both bathroom/bedroom
-install dual tweeter speaker (Russound RSF-61T) in bathroom/bedroom
-use the multizone amp to power 1 dual tweeter speaker; both right/left channels get wired to single speaker
-attach secondary amp. to variable line output of multizone amp
-use the secondary amp to power the other dual tweeter speaker

Well, you could just install an inexpensive speaker selector with impedance-matching to allow you to connect two pairs of speakers to one of the powered zones - instead of buying a separate amp.

Two things - if you're going to run additional speaker wire, especially for the bedroom, just wire the room for a stereo pair instead of compromising with a DVC speaker. Unless you've already cut one hole...

Second - think about separating those rooms into their own zones. Otherwise you may be limiting the usage because you could be waking someone up...

Quote:

Then, the keypad controller (mounted in bathroom) would control volume/source, ect... of both speakers since I used the variable line output connection from multizone --to--secondary amp.

You can install another keypad that controls the combined zone - and you should be wiring for a keypad in every covered room anyway. And again, unless you're out of zones, you should be separating these rooms...

Jeff