Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FlyingDiver

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hooking up one room with 5 tvs and a modem, splitting signal. Help!

Ok so I have five HDTVs and a modem to hook up in a single room from one incoming cable line. 3 of the tvs have their own cable box and two i plug the coax cable directly in the tv. I also have another cable box in a different room that runs from this same place. Right now I have the main line coming in and going straight to a cable company provided amplifier. The amp then runs to a six way splitter. In the six way splitter I have the modem, and the 3 boxes in the room plugged into 4 of the legs. The fifth leg has one of the direct to tv lines in it. And the sixth leg runs to a antronix cmcdt2106t digital tap with the drop and out legs running to the other direct to tv hookup and the other box in the seperate room. I'm sorry if this is confusing, I know a little bit about tech, but I'm a bit out of my league here maybe. Am I splitting this signal the best way? Is it safe? At other ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Are you having any issues? If the modem is getting adequate signal, and the TV images aren't showing signs of signal loss (picture break-up / freeze / audio drops, etc.), then it's fine, just leave it as it is...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As jautor says, if it works don't mess with it. But for what it's worth, you're generally better off using one big splitter like you have than cascading multiple layers of splitters. Multiple layers are not as efficient and have more connections to go bad. If you need more feeds, you can get splitters with more than 6 taps, and ones that have amplifiers built in.
bluewaves likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

I do get occasional pixelation and drops. I do have a pct 8 way amplified splitter. Right now the six way splitter I'm using is -10db per leg. The 8 way I have is +4.5db per leg. Would it be better to use the 8 way and just cap off the one leg I won't use? Should i just unhook the other amp and splitter and use the 8 way amp split, or keep the other amp and hook the 8 way split amp into that?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would remove the cable company amp and the 6-way splitter and try the amplified 8-way instead. Don't put the 8-way after the cable co amp, it'll almost certainly over-amp the signal. And put 75-ohm caps on the ports you're not using.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Just replaced the cable company amp and splitter with the 8 way amplified splitter. I guess I'll wait and see now...Internet from the modem already seems to be getting better speeds...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
amps , cables , signal , splitter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page