post #31 of 34 Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsker View Post
I am planning on placing in ceiling speakers for the game area, and music room (5 additional speakers creating 3 zones in the basement).
Five additional speakers? Make those pairs... And is that two additional rooms/zones, or three additional rooms beyond the theater area?

Quote:
Do you have a preference of a system that will work for this? I want to make sure I can have music going in the game area when people are watching tv, and have the ability to listen to ESPN in all areas during a game.
You're in the 3-4 zone range that makes the choices unclear. If you can fit into three zones (theater plus two more areas), a 3-zone capable AVR would be the easy choice. But 4 zones total starts putting you in the WHA system camp.

Quote:
Do you recommend in wall sound control modules as well? I appreciate any assistance you can provide.
Control modules = "keypads". For larger multi-zone systems that can run the wiring, yes, I do. But getting a system with both mobile device control and keypads puts you into a much higher price point. Relatively inexpensive systems from Monoprice or HTD have basic keypads (and the HTD does have an add-on for mobile app control).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 08-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
It's part of "a" solution. Doing it that way, you only have one source device, and you won't be able to control the volume in each zone without adding some other hardware (and software) to control the multi-zone controller (which only has a serial port or IR receiver for commands).

If you want different sources for each room, then you'll need multiple Sonos Connect units. But you'll still have the volume control issue.

Or skip the multi-zone amp, get multiple Connect:Amp units to connect to your wired speakers, and you're done.

Could someone elaborate on the volume control issue of using a Connect with the monoprice 6 zone amp wall plates? Would the volume be controlled only by the wall plates and the volume slider on the Connect Unit/App would do nothing?
post #33 of 34 Old 08-24-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsteevo View Post
Could someone elaborate on the volume control issue of using a Connect with the monoprice 6 zone amp wall plates? Would the volume be controlled only by the wall plates and the volume slider on the Connect Unit/App would do nothing?
The Sonos app volume would effect all zones simultaneously, if it does anything at all. I'm not sure if the line-out on the Connect has a volume control or not, since it's intended to be a source for an amplifier. I don't have a Connect to test.

The monoprice wall plates would provide volume control for each individual zone.
post #34 of 34 Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Thanks. Limester, how has your setup worked so far. Are you happy or wish you would have gone with the monoprice amp? I am in the same boat where you were
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page