AVS Forum banner

whole home audio/video solutions on limited budget

6K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  xs10shl 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am have been looking around but I can't seem to put together a specific solution for what I want to try and do (perhaps I am just over-complicating for myself).

Primarily I want to have a WHA solution I can listen to in 4 rooms, but I also want to be able to hide the cable box, DVD, etc in the basement and run off of a central system where I can watch in 3 rooms.

I have run all cat6 through the house to the basement, and also speaker wire run to the basement (each pair of speaker wires have a cat6 in the wall).

So I believe I have created a good foundation to build on.

Basically what I would like to do:

stage 1 - play audio to 4 areas (with wired speakers)
be able to control mostly from my ipad/iphone/laptop and using slacker/itunes radio/songza as well as my own MP3 music libraries
keypads can be basic

stage 2 - play video to 3 rooms
want to connect dvd player, cable box.
want to also be able to play from laptop/iphone/ipad

I don't have a specific budget in mind, but I don't want to go over $1000 if thats possible. I will also buy inwall speakers likely from monoprice.

Any assistance and help from experience would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been using the Sonos products for several years now and I haven't found a better way to enjoy music. It's just too cool how you can control all your music sources. I use Apple products mainly, and have my iTunes library on a NAS along with streaming music services and it all seamlessly works together in the app. The connect(s) can eat up your budge pretty quickly however, but with all the benefits of Sonos it would be worth it. Especially since their latest software update, which removes the requirement for the Sonos Bridge component (~$50) that connects your router (network) to the Sonos components. All wifi now!:D

#4 ·
Thanks for the response!

If I go with sonos wifi, I believe it will circumvent the wires that I have put in place?

I would prefer not to have all wifi speakers.

Will the sonos connect, connected to the multizone controller from monoprice be a good solution for my case?

Cheers!

#5 ·
Will the sonos connect, connected to the multizone controller from monoprice be a good solution for my case?
It's part of "a" solution. Doing it that way, you only have one source device, and you won't be able to control the volume in each zone without adding some other hardware (and software) to control the multi-zone controller (which only has a serial port or IR receiver for commands).

If you want different sources for each room, then you'll need multiple Sonos Connect units. But you'll still have the volume control issue.

Or skip the multi-zone amp, get multiple Connect:Amp units to connect to your wired speakers, and you're done.

#8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses, this is very helpful.

I did not realize I would have issues with the volume! that's a technically difficult one to overcome I guess, and assume I would be controlling what is playing with my iphone, but volume would only be managed via the keypad.

I like the idea of the Sonos Connect:Amp, although they are pricey each, ultimately I want a well integrated and easy to use solution.

But I have run cat to run keypads and I feel this would be wasted if I use the Sonos solution.

Are there any other options that you think I could use that could do it all with the foundation I have built?

Cheers!

#16 ·
I know you would like to use that wire for keypads and yes there are other options, but none of them will really even come anywhere close to giving you the same user experience. Its good you have wires run there and you can always use them in the future, but speaking as someone in the industry... Everything else at that price point is a waste of money. If you could just increase your budget a little bit and buy a few of the Sonos connect amps I promise you that you won't regret your decision.

#10 ·
That would be a mistake...

If Sonos, for example, came out with a wall-mount touchscreen control for $199 tomorrow, you might want some of those... :D

And to quote you right back - cable is cheap. Category cable is extra cheap insurance against the future.

#14 ·
If you buy the Connect's, then you will need seperate amps to drive the speakers. Apart from anything else, this complicates the volume control, and is an extra plug socket. The Connect:Amp keeps it very VERY simple, one box per zone. I hear it is quite common to run 2 x pairs of speaker off 1 connect:amp.

If you ask me, the whole draw of Sonos is its simplicity and ease of use. Maybe buy a couple of boxes to start with, and add more when you need to/can afford to.

#15 ·
I have helped several friends install Connect:Amps with two and even three active zones. I think three is really pushing the limits, but two works fine with the right speakers. You can also throw in a cheapo speaker selector like this
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=9995&seq=1&format=2
It works well if you are on a really tight budget and have some audio zones that aren't used as often, like outdoor patio zones. However, it also adds complications and reduces the overall simplicity of the system.

If you have the money and truly value ease of use, get a Connect:Amp for each zone. Just a warning though ... Sonos is addictive. Everybody I've helped with Sonos, myself included, continue to add more amps/zones/etc. as time goes by. I just wish it was a little cheaper!

#17 ·
I bought a connect:amp, should have it in a week or two!

Thank you for the responses everyone, it was hard to get my stubborn mind around the fact I ran so much wire, but as mentioned I am future proofed :)

...and here begins a possible sonos addiction lol :)

Cheers!

#18 · (Edited)
Personally I think sonos is a $ hitty solution although everything has it's place in life I guess. But when your talking $1000 price range options are way limited.

Buy ur monoprice unit. Buy airport express units for $99 as inputs and airplay whatever the hell you want to each zone. Pandora. Tunein. iTunes whatever. Donezo.

For shared video to each zone on the cheap from a central source use Hdmi splitters as long as you don't mind watching same thing in each zone. Use ur surround receiver to plug all ur hdmi inputs into and split the output to your three TVs. 1x4 splitter $100

Update just saw you bought a connect. :-(
That stuff is way pricey for how limited it is. $500 for a left and right channel. Insane. Return it :)
That's $2000 for four zones of audio and a bulky ugly box in each zone. For $1200 you could have a pretty damn nice 6 zone setup with 6 input sources, iDevice control and keypads as well.

Sonos will work. Pros and cons to everything. In this instance no keypads, more amps to have on display as eyesores, more $ but a unified interface on ur cell to control it which is nice. However once you expand and add tv control etc there goes one unified interface.

#19 ·
I installed a MCA-66 from HTD 6 zones / 6 sources over 3 years ago for audio and could not be happier. I do have keypads in each zone, however, I almost always control the zones from my iPad using iRule. If I had it to do over again I would have no keypads and just use iPad. You can pick-up one for 699 w/o the keypads. Every things is home run to my basement.

#25 ·
Except that, with the Sonos units, they're also the source devices. With a WHA amplifier/switcher, you also need some number of source units (Airport Express, I think you mentioned). Unless you're using something that's also a source unit, like LeGrande maybe?

I'm going through the same analysis myself, for a house we're building this winter. I'm going to put together a decision matrix with the pros and cons of several systems that I'll post here. One of the cons of using a multi-channel amp with Airport Express type devices is that the source is actually your iOS device (via AirPlay). Which means you can't do something else with that device (like make a phone call) without cutting off the music. If you're the only one in the house, no big deal. But not so good for parties or such.

#28 ·
I am a noob to the forums and I am in search of a similar system to the OP. I have looked at the HTD lync, monoprice 6 zone, and sonos, but I haven't figured out which would work best for my application. I recently purchased an older home that does not have any cat5 or speaker wiring. The silver lining is that the basement is only partially finished (ceilings and some walls open) and I will be able to add what I would like to this area.

I am looking to create multiple zone audio (in the basement for now, hopefully tackle the upstairs in the future) with the ability to listen to different sources in each zone, as well as control it from a smart device. I would also like to contain all of my AV equipment in a central location and give each tv the ability to select between each source (blu-ray, sat, etc).

Are there any affordable ways to do this? I have been trolling the forums but have come up empty handed for a total solution. I know I could use the HDMI matrix to split my video sources to separate tvs, but I can't quite figure out how to set up my audio in the way I would like.:confused:

#29 ·
I am looking to create multiple zone audio (in the basement for now, hopefully tackle the upstairs in the future) with the ability to listen to different sources in each zone, as well as control it from a smart device. I would also like to contain all of my AV equipment in a central location and give each tv the ability to select between each source (blu-ray, sat, etc).
That's two different things, and unless you get into a fully integrated automation system (Control4, etc.), they will be separate systems. You can easily share sources between the two systems (e.g. listen to ESPN / news from a set-top box in a zone/room without a TV).

Are there any affordable ways to do this? I have been trolling the forums but have come up empty handed for a total solution. I know I could use the HDMI matrix to split my video sources to separate tvs, but I can't quite figure out how to set up my audio in the way I would like.:confused:
The WHA systems you mention are all viable solutions. Video will certainly be handled separately in any "affordable" setup. Sharing set-top boxes isn't generally an economical solution since there are "whole house DVR" options from most providers these days. Same answer for sharing inexpensive devices like Blu-ray players or AppleTV / Roku streamers. It will be cheaper and more functional to have one for each display (within reason). Especially if there is no structured wiring in place.

Jeff

Reactions: Avsker
#36 · (Edited)
For me, the best user experience is to walk into a room, press a single button, and my favorite music starts playing. Press it again and the music stops. When I need to configure things or do something out of the ordinary, I can reach for my phone and make adjustments on an App.

The issue for me with using the phone Apps for everyday listening is this: no matter how slick the phone apps get, I'm still several clicks away from getting to the point where I can play or adjust the music in my house. And that assumes I have my phone on me - if I left it downstairs in the kitchen, I'd have to go get it in order to turn on the game while I'm taking a shower.

I decided I needed both wall stations and a tablet/phone app, so that ruled Sonos out. I do have Sonos at my office, where I'm by myself, and I'm guaranteed to have my phone in my pocket at all times. it's fine in that environment, but I found it to be rather limited in my home. I ended up trolling eBay for used Nuvo grand concerto equipment, and assembled everything I needed for half price or better. Granted, it's not yet doable for $1000- probably more like $2000 for a 6-zone system, and an MPS4 (and a lot of patience).

I expect the Nuvo GC stuff will continue to drop in price now that it's out of favor, but so long as it works for another 5-10 years (and by that time there will be something else) I'll be content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.