Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New house build, small confusion on gear to get

My wife and I are building a new home, and I thought I had everything figured out for WHA. I was planning on doing a combo Russound and Sonos system (and Myro controller), with most zones having in wall speakers, and using a Sonos Connect for more internet sources as well as having a few 'roaming' zones with Sonos speakers (i.e. sun porch, outdoors, etc).

But after reading a lot of posts on here the past few days, I am now thinking that maybe the NuVo system is a better option. I like the GC setup, along with their Color Touch Pad controllers. I would probably get the MPS4 Elite as well. I think most all of our radio stations that we listen to are available on TuneIn, so I don't think I need the AM/FM tuner unit.

That being said, I have a few things that I am not sure the NuVo can do, or if it can, the best way to handle it. Here goes:

1. With the above mentioned NuVo system, can I get Bluetooth sources into the system somehow? If so, how, how many, and what limitations might there be? If I used my smart phone, would I be able to stream any and all sources from it provided they can play over Bluetooth? What about control of that source, could the NuVo controllers change tracks, pause, play etc?
  2. My wife still really prefers to be able to put a music CD into a player and play music. While we will have our entire library ripped to a media server, she still wants that ability to put in a CD. Is there a way to incorporate a CD player (or dvd/bluray) in one of the zones (I'm thinking Great Room, as its central in the house) and have access to that source through the home, say she wants to go into the kitchen and play that CD?
I'm sure I will have more questions, but those are the 2 big ones that are ticking out right now. Appreciate any suggestions that you guys and gals can provide! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post
I would probably get the MPS4 Elite as well.
These days, the MPS4 or MPS4E should be considered a required component for these systems... Note that NuVo is updating the MPS4 / MPS4E models right now (the MPS4 gets a 500GB disk, the MPS4E a 1TB disk) and adding Cloud-sync to the MPS4 - so you may not even need the Elite...

Quote:
I think most all of our radio stations that we listen to are available on TuneIn, so I don't think I need the AM/FM tuner unit.
Yep, and once you have good access to Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, etc. - you might find you won't listen to FM stations anyway.

Quote:
With the above mentioned NuVo system, can I get Bluetooth sources into the system somehow? If so, how, how many, and what limitations might there be? If I used my smart phone, would I be able to stream any and all sources from it provided they can play over Bluetooth? What about control of that source, could the NuVo controllers change tracks, pause, play etc?
There are Bluetooth bridge devices from a number of 3rd parties. You could place them around the house for better coverage, and connect them to the central system using a cat5e balun (e.g. MuxLab 500028). You won't get keypad control of those sources, but you probably won't want that anyway...

Quote:
My wife still really prefers to be able to put a music CD into a player and play music. While we will have our entire library ripped to a media server, she still wants that ability to put in a CD. Is there a way to incorporate a CD player (or dvd/bluray) in one of the zones (I'm thinking Great Room, as its central in the house) and have access to that source through the home, say she wants to go into the kitchen and play that CD?
Yes, any of these systems can accept any audio device with analog audio (RCA outputs) as a source. The NuVo keypads can be programmed with the IR codes for any device so that you can perform basic control from the keypads (play/pause/FF/RW) as well.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

many thanks for the reply! I knew I left some things out after I posted. In reference to the last part about the CD player, I knew the NuVo could take RCA inputs, but the caveat with the CD player is its not going be near the NuVo. So I didn't know if there was some way to incorporate one of the new NuVo P200's for example, in one of my zones (lets use the Great Room) and get both Bluetooth and the CD source to play through it and be accessible to other zones? Is something like that possible?

Also, I can see a possible issue with sources. Is the NuVo (or any other system) expandable beyond 6 sources? I saw the NuVo GC Expander unit, but think that's just for 8 more zones. If I understand the MPS4 hookups, that could (and would) take up 4 sources, and then if I dedicate another to CD, I am left with just 1 more, which would make having multiple Bluetooth bridges throughout the house not possible?

I'd also like to have an iPod dock somewhere. I know the iTunes library is accessible through the MPS4, but in case someone visits and brings an iPod, could play songs from that.

I could see where I could potentially have 8-9 sources (4 MPS4, 1 CD, 1 iPod, 2-3 Bluetooth throughout the home).

One more edit, I suppose I could use local sources and make use of a speaker selector like the Russound AB-3.2 or the NuVo NV-LSI24, but both are for amplified sources. But these don't really solve the problem of un-amplified local sources like a Bluetooth bridge, or iPod dock or CD player.

Kirby

Last edited by Kirby Baker; 06-27-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
many thanks for the reply! I knew I left some things out after I posted. In reference to the last part about the CD player, I knew the NuVo could take RCA inputs, but the caveat with the CD player is its not going be near the NuVo. So I didn't know if there was some way to incorporate one of the new NuVo P200's for example, in one of my zones (lets use the Great Room) and get both Bluetooth and the CD source to play through it and be accessible to other zones? Is something like that possible?
If you have any wiring between where the CD player is and where the NuVo system is, you can use a cat5e audio balun to get the analog RCA audio signal to the system. You can certainly use a P100/P200 as a source (they have analog audio outputs), but that wouldn't help you with your local CD player.

Quote:
Also, I can see a possible issue with sources. Is the NuVo (or any other system) expandable beyond 6 sources? I saw the NuVo GC Expander unit, but think that's just for 8 more zones. If I understand the MPS4 hookups, that could (and would) take up 4 sources, and then if I dedicate another to CD, I am left with just 1 more, which would make having multiple Bluetooth bridges throughout the house not possible?
Well, you don't have to use all four source outputs from the MPS4 - how many simultaneous users would you expect to have? Meaning, how many members in the household, for starters?

Quote:
I'd also like to have an iPod dock somewhere. I know the iTunes library is accessible through the MPS4, but in case someone visits and brings an iPod, could play songs from that.
Note that the iPod docks are all 30-pin connections, not the Lightning connector. You'd need adapters and such. Guests would probably be happy with Pandora and Spotify, for example. But an Airport Express connected as a source to act as an Airplay target would also work. Bluetooth probably easier, and would work with Android phones, too.

Quote:
[FONT=Arial]I could see where I could potentially have 8-9 sources (4 MPS4, 1 CD, 1 iPod, 2-3 Bluetooth throughout the home). One more edit, I suppose I could use local sources and make use of a speaker selector like the Russound AB-3.2 or the NuVo NV-LSI24, but both are for amplified sources. But these don't really solve the problem of un-amplified local sources like a Bluetooth bridge, or iPod dock or CD player.
That's a lot of sources. But yes, the Local Source Amplifier may be one solution, and it doesn't require extra speaker selectors - it will take care of the switching between the shared sources and the local one. A bluetooth receiver as a local source would be a great way to allow single-room iPod usage, for example.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
If you have any wiring between where the CD player is and where the NuVo system is, you can use a cat5e audio balun to get the analog RCA audio signal to the system. You can certainly use a P100/P200 as a source (they have analog audio outputs), but that wouldn't help you with your local CD player.
Well I can put anything in that I need, as we are just getting ready to break ground. Better to plan ahead right? In the great room, we are going to have a TV with a Blu-ray player for local viewing, as well as some sort of streamer (Roku 3 or similar). Not planning on 5.1 sound here (building a media room elsewhere in the house), but possibly stereo sound via in-wall and/or in-ceiling speakers. Adding a CD player for WHA use only at this location is easy enough to do, and baluns with a cat5e run makes sense. Is it safe to assume that I could use a balun like the Muxlab 500049 to also get IR control?

Quote:
Well, you don't have to use all four source outputs from the MPS4 - how many simultaneous users would you expect to have? Meaning, how many members in the household, for starters?
Yeah, I didn't think about that. Just looked at the install docs and of course they hook up all 4. I could get by with 2.

Quote:
Note that the iPod docks are all 30-pin connections, not the Lightning connector. You'd need adapters and such. Guests would probably be happy with Pandora and Spotify, for example. But an Airport Express connected as a source to act as an Airplay target would also work. Bluetooth probably easier, and would work with Android phones, too.
True, didn't think about the lightning connector as all of our iPods are older 30-pin type. I've seen you mention Spotify twice now, I didn't realize that was one of the streaming sources? According to the cut sheet, the MPS has TuneIn, SiriusXM, Slacker, Rhapsody and Pandora. Are those accurate? Are there more?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Adding a CD player for WHA use only at this location is easy enough to do, and baluns with a cat5e run makes sense. Is it safe to assume that I could use a balun like the Muxlab 500049 to also get IR control?
Yes, that would be one easy way...

Quote:
I've seen you mention Spotify twice now, I didn't realize that was one of the streaming sources? According to the cut sheet, the MPS has TuneIn, SiriusXM, Slacker, Rhapsody and Pandora. Are those accurate? Are there more?
The cut sheets are out of date, and hopefully will be updated soon, as they've revised the hardware specs, too. Drive sizes are now 500GB/1TB.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page