1Likes
  • 1 Post By bohiti

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In-wall & in-ceiling speakers installation before or after drywall?

Hello all,

I have a custom construction house that has been pre-wired for whole-house audio (2 speaker cables + CAT5e cable per room). The drywalls/sheetrock have not been put up yet.

I was wondering what is the normal course of action with regards to the timing of the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers installation. Should this installation be done BEFORE the drywall/sheetrock is put up or is it normally done AFTER the drywall/sheetrock is put up? Thanks in advance for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 369
If you know the speaker models you'll be installing, and will be purchasing them immediately, you can use "pre-install" brackets to frame the locations. The sheetrock crew will cut them out for you, and you won't have any fear of cutting into the drywall and hitting an obstruction later.

But that is a lot of "if" - and assumes that there are pre-install brackets available for your speakers. I used an adjustable bracket for all of mine - but unfortunately those are no longer made. It's really not hard to make the cuts after drywall and painting - as long as you secure the wires and document all the locations so you can cut into the right place the first time.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As Jeff says, it's probably more "normal" to cut the holes and install the speakers after drywall and painting is done. Just take many pictures and write down many measurements of where the speaker cable (and surrounding studs and other wires) are.

If I may offer some advice: when you have the template drawn out on the wall and are ready to cut: Cut a smaller hole in the middle of the whole speaker area, just big enough to get your hand in. This will let you know where everything is around where you're working, and potentially push cables out of the way so you don't cut them. This also totally saved me just yesterday, as I was a few inches off and way too close to a stud than I intended. If I'd have cut the hole as I'd drawn it out originally, I'd have had a big mess. For me, this is a bigger deal with my in-wall's than my in-ceilings. Just more going on in the walls.
jautor likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
If you know the speaker models you'll be installing, and will be purchasing them immediately, you can use "pre-install" brackets to frame the locations. The sheetrock crew will cut them out for you, and you won't have any fear of cutting into the drywall and hitting an obstruction later.

But that is a lot of "if" - and assumes that there are pre-install brackets available for your speakers. I used an adjustable bracket for all of mine - but unfortunately those are no longer made. It's really not hard to make the cuts after drywall and painting - as long as you secure the wires and document all the locations so you can cut into the right place the first time.

Jeff
+1
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
+1
I attached a piece of plastic pipe strapping between the joists in the joist bay where i wanted each speaker. I then pushed the speaker wire through a hole in the plastic pipe strapping, coiled the remainder, and attached it to the joist in the ceiling. I then instructed the drywallers to poke a hole in the drywall and pull each wire through as they were drywalling. This worked very well and created minimal extra work for them. I went back later and cut the holes and installed the speakers.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 PM

Liked: 10
I had the same deal you are talking about... go buy your speakers, take the template, mark them off after they board. Doesn't take long to do, take a drywall saw and cut them out.

if you do that before they spray or mud and tape if you blunder or scribble away from the template, you're covered.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The reason most installers don't use rings before drywall installation is because they are trying to line up the speakers with the ceiling lights so that everything is symmetrical when the job is complete. If that's not an issue, installing the rings will make you're life easier.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page