Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch under $500

I think my 5 year old Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix switch is slowly dying. Its taking longer to switch sources and often they come back all washed out in pink. Switching sources back and forth on one of the other displays often fixes the problem, but its gotten to the point where I think I just need to move on to another switch.

I'm not interested in spending a ton of money on a truly reliable Atlona, AVSnap, etc. model but was wondering if anybody has opinions on some of the models that are more expensive than the monoprice, but a lot cheaper than the big boys. HDTVsupply.com has a ton of options under $500, but there are very few user reviews on them. I have my eye on this paricular model HDTVMA5244H for $349
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x4-hdmi-m...witch-lan.html

It says it has a "fast switching chip" for input switches in under 2 seconds. I also like the ability to default the EDID mode.

Any opinions? Are there other 4x4s under $500 that I should be looking at? Should I just buy a new cheapo monoprice 4x4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I havent found any good reviews on cheap switches.. you almost have to buy and hope

I have gotten to the point where the "Just Add Power" options sound good to me
post #3 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you got 5 years out of the Monoprice, I think that's pretty good and you probably ought to just get another one. I expect the current models are improved over what you got back then.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As the saying goes you get what you pay for...
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Apparently there are not many AVSers look for mid-range priced matrix switchers. I ended up buying another monoprice 4x4 matrix switch and it was worse than my original. Constant blackouts, pink screens and it wouldn't work at all with any location with HDMI baluns. So I returned that and bought a switch from HDTV Supply ... HD44L for $400
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x4-hdmi-matrix.html

It appears to be a rebadge of the Shinybow SB-5645LCM. The package was actually drop shipped from Shinybow in Texas. HDTV Supply also sells the branded Shinybow version for $470, so I figure I saved $70 for the same product.

So far, this switch has been solid. Very simple to set up, build quality is far superior to the Monoprice switch. It has both EDID learning mode, or you can fix it to a standard EDID setting like 1080p/3D/7.1 audio. Switching is faster than the monoprice as well. Most importantly, it works with all my locations, no blackouts or pink screens.

Setting it up to work with my Harmony remotes was a slight pain because it uses two commands to switch sources ... one for destination, one for source. The Harmony database had the device, but the combo input commands were not working. I think it had to do with the lack of a delay between the Destination command and the Source command. Instead, I manually added the two separate commands with a 500ms pause in between and now it works perfectly.

The guys over at HDTV Supply were really helpful guiding me through the options (they have a ton of 4x4 switches). I originally wanted to get this $350 switch, but apparently its a new model and got hung up in customs and wouldn't be available for at least a month ...
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/4x4-hdmi-m...witch-lan.html
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks for the update, ed. I like the fact that it is rack mountable too.

Did you try any of the extenders? Because I imagine a lot of us will go more than 30' or so with our runs.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Thanks for the update, ed. I like the fact that it is rack mountable too.

Did you try any of the extenders? Because I imagine a lot of us will go more than 30' or so with our runs.
If my memory is correct, I think I have two 50' HDMI runs and one 40' HDMI run. I also have ~70' Cat 5e. I'm using a J-Tech Digital extender that I bought on amazon a while back. So far, its working fine with the switcher (it didn't work at all with my recent monoprice replacement 4x4)
Here is the extender I'm using
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have never used any of the HDTV Supply extenders.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks for the update, ed. I'm seriously considering getting into this for my setup.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've got that same rebadged Shinybow 4x4 matrix (HD44L), and it is very solid with one local run, and 3 70' cat-6 balun runs. I've got a pile of various Monoprice matrices that never worked to satisfaction.

I wish the 8x8 stuff would come down to reasonable levels.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page