Small Whole Home System Advice Please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Small Whole Home System Advice Please.

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to all of this audio distribution stuff but we are having a new house built and I'm trying to plan what I'm going to do while we can still get any speaker wire that we need run. I know that there are a bunch of different threads about this but none really seem to address the fairly simple system that I want so I'm hoping that someone could help me out with a simple solution.

So what I'd like is this:
- 7.1 system in living room with 4 in ceiling (rear / sides) and 3 in wall (fronts / centre) speakers….Only place video will be going.
- 2 ceiling speakers in kitchen area
- 2 ceiling speakers in entrance
- 1 ceiling speaker in ensuite (second level)
- 1 ceiling speaker in master bedroom (second level)
- would like to get 2 x Bose 51 Freespace Speakers in yard on same system

Now, I don't really know where I go from here. Would like to have everything hardwired (unless there are any very reliable / flexible wireless recommendations? i'd be happy to hear them) but controllable via iPad / iPhone but controls in walls would be cool too. Music library will be coming from a hard ethernet wired iMac that I don't mind leaving on (unless there's a better suggestion….now that I think about it, I guess that won't work for different songs in different zones simultaneously, how would I go about that with a music library). Budget isn't crazy but looking to get quality stuff without going overboard. Plan on using Polk RC80i ceiling speakers throughout.

Thanks very much -Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 13
Take a look at Sonos for the whole house audio portion of the project.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 43
An AVR you like for the video zone.
Sonos Amp for the audio zones. Unless the entrance is a social / party space decide if you really need music there.
You should get two speakers for the bedroom.
The bathroom will want a dual voice coil speaker.
Outside you could get a Sonos play1 for when you need it.
All the Sonos will connect to give the same audio in all zones time aligned.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #4 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz_Marchin View Post
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to all of this audio distribution stuff but we are having a new house built and I'm trying to plan what I'm going to do while we can still get any speaker wire that we need run. I know that there are a bunch of different threads about this but none really seem to address the fairly simple system that I want so I'm hoping that someone could help me out with a simple solution.
Concentrate first on the pre-wiring for all the audio/video zones while you can. Get that right and you'll be able to use any of the systems on the market now or in the future...

Quote:
So what I'd like is this:
- 7.1 system in living room with 4 in ceiling (rear / sides) and 3 in wall (fronts / centre) speakers….Only place video will be going.
- 2 ceiling speakers in kitchen area
- 2 ceiling speakers in entrance
- 1 ceiling speaker in ensuite (second level)
- 1 ceiling speaker in master bedroom (second level)
- would like to get 2 x Bose 51 Freespace Speakers in yard on same system
Surround systems (5.1/7.1) should be considered separate from the whole house audio (WHA) system, but the two can share sources.

Bedrooms and any space larger than a small bathroom should have two speakers. In-ceiling speakers in the bedrooms can also be positioned to use as dual-purpose WHA and surround channels if the room layout allows for it.

Quote:
Now, I don't really know where I go from here. Would like to have everything hardwired (unless there are any very reliable / flexible wireless recommendations? i'd be happy to hear them) but controllable via iPad / iPhone but controls in walls would be cool too. Music library will be coming from a hard ethernet wired iMac that I don't mind leaving on (unless there's a better suggestion….now that I think about it, I guess that won't work for different songs in different zones simultaneously, how would I go about that with a music library). Budget isn't crazy but looking to get quality stuff without going overboard.
Sonos Connect:Amp units or NuVo Player (P100/P200/P3100) units will get you mobile-device control for ~$500/zone. NuVo wired systems with the MPS4 music server will get you metadata keypads + mobile control at a higher cost... HTD + a few Sonos Connect units can get both types of control, but split by function between the keypads and the app.

But again, concentrate on the pre-wiring now - wire as many rooms as you MIGHT want music now or in the future.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I've been researching Sonos stuff (was hesitant at first because I'm currently using a few iHome airplay speakers throughout our current house and lag / dropouts are awful) and have noticed that there are plenty of ethernet hardwired options and apparently great wireless coverage. I have a couple questions / setup idea based on what I've checked out.

So what I was thinking now is:

Sonos Bridge on Router Obviously

Main TV room --> 7.1 surround (4 in ceiling, 2 in wall front, centre + sub) receiver + Sonos Connect to get access to music library (will be based on a wired iMac) from there and by doing this could I then, say put a Sonos Play 5 on top of the kitchen cabinets and use if for not only music but to spread TV / movie audio into the kitchen if I want. Also, how are these "Play #" speakers from a wireless reliability perspective? Like I said my iHome stuff is pretty awful……. *Or would I be better off to hide a Connect AMP up above those same kitchen cabinets and wire 4 in ceiling speakers for Kitchen / Breakfast zone up to it? Do Connect Amps require Ethernet at them?

Upstairs --> 2 in ceiling in Master bedroom, 1 Stereo in ceiling (like a Polk RC6i) in the ensuite and 2 in ceiling along the upstairs hallway. All wired into the ethernet port in the master into a 3 zone speaker selector switch and a Sonos Connect AMP again?.

Eventually --> Another Connect AMP somewhere with 2 or 4 x Bose 51 Freespace in the backyard.

Does this sound fairly reasonable / convenient to control when it's all done with?

Thanks again

Last edited by Antz_Marchin; 07-05-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: addition
post #6 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you have any Connect or Connect:Amp unit that is connected to your home network via Ethernet, you don't need a Sonos Bridge. And only one needs to be connected. The rest will use the Sonos wireless network to connect to the "wired" unit. From your description above, both the Connect at the Main TV and the Connect:Amp in the Master bedroom are in places they can be hardwired.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Wire all speaker locations back to a central location in the basement or a media closet on the ground floor a 24x24 ventilated room.

Then you can put the Sonos or anything you later choose there. You still wire ceiling speakers of your choosing etc.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page